1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Automatic Updates on XP not working

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bladeage, Dec 14, 2008.

1. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

So the other night I was on boxingscene.com and my browser froze. I figured it was because alot of the people on there have sigs with alot of crap on em. So I closed the browser, went to restroom, came back and the screen was full of pop-ups!

I've had this computer for a little over 4 years and I've never had a spyware problem. Suddenly out of nowhere I do. So I ran ad-aware scans and virus scans and it caught some stuff but I am still getting pop-ups here and there.

They are popups for ebay and some karate kid website, no p*rn or anything.

But the real issue is now my automatic window updates doesn't work. When I go into services to turn it on, it says it cannot enable this service. So basically I can no longer receive updates from MS to remove this kind of ****.

What should I do. My last resort is of course to do a clean install, but honestly I don't want to bother. Anyone know how to atleast fix the updates thing?

2. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

3. KingHRockets

KingHRockets Member

Its weird im having the same exact issue...i ran like three different adware/virus programs and i think the pop ups have at least calm down...but the update issue is still a big problem...im just planning on reformatting the computer over winter break...i hate doing that but i dont think i have any other choice... :mad:

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

If it's Vundo, that tool will help, but it rarely gets the job done all on its own.

Vundo is a huge, huge pain in the rear. If you think you have it, INSTALL THE LATEST JAVA UPDATE FIRST, then try running this tool, then use Spybot advanced tools to see if you have any suspicious-looking BHOs.

By the by, one thing you might try to get your Windows updates working again is to disable third-party browser extensions. Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced Tab -> UNcheck "enable third-party browser extension", hit okay, close browser, then try Windows Update again.

6. bladeage

man these pop-ups are getting annoying.. i just had this one that popped up and starting playing some r****ded song, but it minimized itself into the corner so it was hard to close. Man, what is the ****ing point in these things?!!!

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm having the same problem but none of the suggestions here have allowed me to turn the automatic updates back on. Can somebody please make some suggestions in laymen's terms - I am not that computer literate.

8. bladeage

Re-install Windows.

9. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

My parents had this exact same problem on their notebook.

I simply did a google search for "windows xp automatic updates not working" and found a solution on a message board filled with smart I.T. folks.

It involved malwarebytes, installation of a piece of some small piece of software that goes through your registry, download of some windows patches, and plenty of resets.

Do the search and you'll find it.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

11. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

just microsoft's scheme to push you guys onto vista

12. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Dude what the heck are you seriously going to re-install over malware?

You deserve it!

Be smart, go to another computer and download malwarebytes, or super aanti spyware remover... Save it to a flash drive or whatever. Download to your computer (make sure you do one or the other DO NOT use BOTH!) run the update for the malware scan. once update is complete, disconnect internet and run scan. Once scan complete remove all spyware and you should be good.

Please never post a... "Spyware... just going to re-install windows" Use a Mac if you want to be simple

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

try to not go to so many p*rn sites next time. :D

14. bladeage

Bite me.

15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

^
    |
    |
    Seconded

16. bladeage

I retract my "bite me" comment. I did what he said step by step and it worked. Automatic updates are up and running. No popups. Next time just cut the condescending attitude.

17. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I got the same exact thing, vundo trojan with IE popups slowing down my computer like 3 days ago and used Malwarebites but the spyware seems to keep coming back :rolleyes:

18. bladeage

Did you do it the way he said? Download it on another computer.. install it on yours, let it update then disconnect from the internet. Run a full scan. I ran a full scan it took almost 3 hours but it was well worth it.