1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Auto-Tune crap in Songs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets1616, Jul 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sajan

Sajan Member

what are some famous songs that uses it?

"Blame It"

doesnt Fergie uses in that new Black eyed peas song.

2. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Auto-tune can = genius. It's all in how you use it...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWRyj5cHIQA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWRyj5cHIQA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol at people thinking rappers are using autotune to help them sing good. more than anything, they're using it for that robotic voice effect.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I was okay with T-Pain doing it.

But then Kanye did it, and the Black Eyed Peas (Who have stooped down to levels of Soulja Boy).

That ****ing Boom Boom Pow song UUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

5. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

They use it because it covers up their inability to sing.

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

while the latter part is very true, if everyone stopped buying no talent cheesy gimmick artificial so called music, they would be more careful about producing it. Problem is twofold, 1) they know a formula right now, and it's predictable as it relates to sales, so they can throw money at it, knowing the public will buy it. Autotone is just another tool to allow this. 2) A staggering amount of people wouldn't know quality or originality if their lives depended on it, or worse, just don't care.

Will that ever change, no, there always has been and will always be some new way to do package artificial tripe and slap some accessory on it to draw attention, but the trends still change, even with crap music formulas. They just ride them as long as the people will buy it.

It's like news industry. The more crowded it gets, and the more people who's jobs depend on force feeding us this slop, what once was the value and quality of the product suffers greatly. More news sources, less that's presented is newsworthy or unique.

that said, Rap Chop is genius. It might be my favorite song right now. ;)

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Totally agree. I've been thinking about that myself just recently. It hides so many of their flaws and they all sound alike.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

9. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Who cares? Apparently you guys

10. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

birthday sex

11. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Yeah sure :rolleyes:. Thats called a voice box. Auto tune is an AUTO TUNE. Automatically changes the tune to the right note.

12. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

It doesn't really say "Every Big Time Musician" but the point is taken that tracks get doctored all the time.

I would have to say that, while I think overusing a trendy tool to create an effect is easily overused and trite very quickly, I prefer that to hearing that someone doctored every second of a vocal track because their voice sucks.

Gotta figure anyone employing the latter is lining record executive pockets and then disappointing their fans during their live performances, unless of course they lipsync (brittney etc.). Seems a bad career move in the long run. If you can't deliver live, then the artists major revenue stream suffers. Having said that, I'm not too sure Auto-Tune can be used on the fly. Maybe it can. I don't know.

I know they say they interviewed 1/2 dozen producers that said they couldn't recall a session in a few years that didn't employ it at least a little, but using it to tweak a segment on a vocal track is a different scenario than using it for supposed "effect," and definitely different than reworking an entire vocal track because the artist can not sing in tune.

But hey, as long as the uniforms and outfits fit.

14. TheBigAristotle

I will concur. T-pain is the only artist allowed to do this. He has my approval.

15. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

But without Auto-Tune I wouldn't be able to enjoy the news.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tBb4cjjj1gI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tBb4cjjj1gI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

I warned people about this and now even shakira is doing it, only she went all out.... it sounds like it was done on my IBM using midi. :p

It's out of control.

17. dianap07

dianap07 Member

i heard miley is using it now as well :p
    remix of "the climb"

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was pure genius.

19. MattM

MattM Member

They are not musicians.

They are entertainers.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My contribution to the thread

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RSEl3fYTV6A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RSEl3fYTV6A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>