1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Austin to Houston] When would be a good time to go back?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Sep 23, 2005.

1. insane man

insane man Member

lots of love to bill white and judge eckols. but if i was out of town...i'd be getting back as soon as possible.

and sorry perry didn't deliver us the gas he promised. so no love to him.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Well we just got home.

Left Round Rock this morning around 9, took 183 to 290. 290 into Brenham to 105. 105 to Plantersville then 1774 S into Magnolia, where we live.

2.5 hours, with 1 stop for gas to keep the tank topped off.

Didn't even see any rain until Navasota, and it was pretty light. Lots of wind though and it got worse on the way in obviously.

Full power, internet, cable, gas here at the trailer.

Glad we left early as it looks like everyone is trying to come back today.

:)

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Mayor White urging people to stay where they are and not try to return until things are a little calmer. Power down in some areas of the city. People returning will likely slow things for them down.

Glad you got back safe codell.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

A woman is on the phone now on ch2. She lives in Hempstead and she said traffic is bumper to bumper on 290. She said there is no gas or no food around there.

Some of you might want to hold off a little.

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

They just gave a list of schools to be closed Monday and Tuesday. HISD, Humble, Katy, Alief are among the ones closed. There will be more.

6. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Yes power is on in the Westchase area. Hardley rained enough to water the yard here.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Fudge

A huge oak in our backyard got taken out and it was apparently full of bees ...tree is laying across 2 fences and the whole back yard is swarming

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Listenting to the mayor might just lead to bigger jams. Come early to avoid the truely large crowds.

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Yeah me too...I'm going outa my mind...suffering from some sugar/junk food withdrawal...and Xbox Live can only get you so far :p

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Just remember, if you see a bee, punch it in the face.

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Well you can go I-35 to Austin, to I-71 then to I-10 to Houston/Katy area.

Or I-35 to HWY 290.

This will take up to 7 hours but traffic should be smooth and weather in good shape.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Houston is safe for the most part, but:

-there is zero gas for a 2 hour radius, and some shortages all the way to Austin/Dallas. If you head back and run low, you'll be stuck. It could be a couple days before more gas is shipped in.

-No employer could possibly expect all employees back come Monday. Far too many people evacuated, and you have the mayor and governor asking anyone that left to hold off on returning.

-If you can afford to chill out for a couple days, chill out.

Evan

13. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

If you aren't already on I-10, it may be too late to avoid the big jam. My wife creeped on 71 south and it took her a very long time to get to I-10 from Austin. When she got to I-10, it was been between 50-70 mph. I think she barely missed the crush. Whatever you do, don't waste your time going Dallas to Austin because 71 will make you cry. By now, I-10 probably will also. Hwy 290 is the absolute worst choice anyone can make trying to come back from Austin. Sorry, but if you haven't left yet, you are stuck.

14. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

my cousin's wife and kids left my parent's house in austin this morning. i think parts of pasadena don't have electricity because my aunt is using a generator right now, but my cousin has both water and electricity. hell, i'd say go back now if you want. i really don't care what gov. perry's dumb a$$ has to say. he's the clown who wouldn't open up the southbound lanes on the highways getting out of houston. if you're from an area that wasn't hit hard i would make the trip back now before the traffic get's awful coming back.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Good luck going back in everyone. Be careful.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

How can a 7 hour trip from Austin be considered "smooth"? :confused:

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

What is the point in hurrying back when there's nothing to come back to... we may not have been hit hard, but there a lot of places w/o power, there is ZERO gas and food...nothing's open. If you can stay where you are for a few days might as well do that. Besides it seems like everyone either didn't hear the message or didn't pay attention to it and is coming back right away, thinking they can avoid the rush but not realizing that they might not be the only ones with that idea. I'd really like to see what those people are gonna do when they start running out of gas halfway back because of the traffic and because hardly any stations from here to SA, Austin and Dallas have any fuel.

18. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

I left Waco about 11 today and got home at about 3, for about 70% of the time we avoided any traffic at all. My secret: get a good GPS, know how to use it, and have map handy.

19. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

and for the gas just go to some remote city, they have enough, no problem there.

20. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Im thinking about leaving Dallas tonight, or maybe the morning.
    After all tommorrow is "THE DAY" assigned for my area to come back.
    But Im afraid there will be a mad rush of people trying to get to work on Monday???
    Anyone got an update?