1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Austin to Houston] When would be a good time to go back?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Sep 23, 2005.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

If you are in Austin, and you live west of I-45 north and Hwy 288 south, you could come back now if it weren't for the curfews. I recommend you get up at ~5:00am and get on the road.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST: The traffic coming back will be worse than leaving. Instead of having a massive movement away from a compact area, we will have the exact opposite which could compound the traffic jams. They can try all they want to tell people to stagger their return, but human nature will cause another mad rush back. I expect it to be pretty ugly.

If there was ambiguity on damage in the Houston area, some people would wait an extra day or two and maybe things wouldn't be so bad. But when everyone wakes up tomorrow and sees nothing happened at all except to the coastal areas, it will be the same song, opposite direction. I also don't think they will be able to open up counterflow lanes this time around because no emergency is involved. And gasoline should be even scarcer.

2. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Not to mention having to compete with all the trucks that will be hauling replenshiments into the gas stations, Walmarts, etc.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

has houston seen the worst of the hurricane by now?

4. Fatty FatBastard

If I were you, I'd head back now to avoid the traffic.

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Head back right now codell, this was a sissy azz storm :rolleyes:

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah that was what I was thinking.. just waiting for my wife and kids to wake up.. coming from dallas probably so gonna take 35S then Hwy 6 thru Bryan/College Station then 149/249.. what do you think of that route?

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Houston apparently has seen the worst. It's moving north and giving the Jasper and Livingston area a lot of trouble right now. They're saying about 100mph winds.

8. tigermission1

Unless you live in the very, very far off NE side of town (coldspring area), then yah the storm is over pretty much. Certainly if you live anywhere near the SW side of town (which about 2/3 of Houstonians do) then you're in good shape; I am talking Stafford, Fondren SW, Sugar Land, Missouri City, etc.

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'm not sure I'd want to drive back from Dallas right now. It seems to me like you'd be driving through a bunch of strong wind and rain with this storm still moving north.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Depends on where you evacuated to, but it is safe to go back to Houston now, I believe.

DD

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We are in Kansas, what a waste of Gas. What do y'all think of coming back now- I am just worried my wife will have to be at work on Monday. If we took a back way through WACO and then up the Westpark tollway to our place....any thoughts? Is the power up in the Westchase area?

12. tigermission1

Well, I guess if you are in Dallas, you might want to wait first before you head out of town (preferably wait until tomorrow).

If you left town for Austin or San Antonio, it's best to head back ASAP, but just be careful once you enter city limits, because there could be some debris on the roads, so just exercise caution, that's all.

In the SW part of town, I have power and it never really went out to begin with. I imagine Stafford, Sugar Land, maybe the Westheimer/Beltway area doesn't have power outages. This part of town wasn't really 'hit', so to speak.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Beat the rush, if you wait it will be a massive traffic jam, I am always the kind of guy who likes to get going early....

Beat the rush so to speak.

DD

14. tigermission1

Ditto

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The question is. . .When will the rush be?
    Can I expect the Freeways to be jammed up tomorrow
    and monday and maybe some of Tuesday

Normalcy will not return to Houston until AT LEAST Wednesday

Rocket River

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Gov Perry said do NOT return yet.

I wish a movie theatre would open up or something today.

17. tigermission1

Yup! It will take at LEAST three full days for all that traffic to come back to Houston and through Houston to Galvestion and other southern towns.

Traffic will be a b*tch this whole week.

18. tigermission1

If you know of any, let me know :)

19. tigermission1

According to ABC13, there are already lots of people heading back apparently. They are showing live video of lots of traffic on highways heading back into town, so it seems like the rush back has already begun, regardless of what Perry said.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yea . . I mean it is looking like a pretty nice day today in Houston
    as people see the news feeds. . they gonna rush back

Rocket River