1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin Area Golf Courses?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Moe, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I'm making a trip to the Austin area for a few days next week. We're actually staying in Wimberly. Friends from Houston and Ft. Worth are driving over, and I plan to play 3 or 4 rounds of golf. I'm not really familiar with any of the public courses, but from the internet, I've found that Plum Creek and Canyon Lake look promising. I'll also probably play at Highland Lakes.

Is anyone familiar with any of these courses? Are there any others you would recommend? Thanks.

2. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I am going to bump this in hopes of some golfers who have played in the Austin area.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Tons of good public courses in Austin. It all depends on where you want to play. I don't like to pay too much for a round, so here are some of my favorites:

Star Ranch - best value in town, meticulous greens, Round Rock/Pflugerville area
    Forest Creek - lots of trees, great value, well kept course, Round Rock
    Crystal Falls - gorgeous scenery in the hills just west of Cedar Park, several elevated tees for par 3's
    Shadow Glen - east of Austin, difficult course
    Falconhead - PGA approved course, awesome scenery off 620 near Bee Caves

Stay away from the municipal courses since there's little value to be gained there.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

For the only world class course in Austin you'll have to head to Hancock.

5. Major

Major Member

If you're looking for public courses and are willing to make a 30-40 minute drive, I highly recommend Pine Forest in Bastrop:

http://www.pineforestgolfclub.com/

Relatively cheap, and a very unique course along the Colorado River. They don't even allow the option of walking, because it's basically physically impossible. Lots of hills and elevation changes.

Crystal Falls is also a really nice course - a bit more pricey and upscale though (still open to the public). This one has GPS carts and all that fun.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I've played Falconhead, Lakeway and Star Ranch and one of the Barton Creek courses. All were pretty solid, especially Barton Creek

7. updawg

updawg Member

Big_jorge actually writes something positive about Austin. Amazing

Check out golf512.com for discounted tee times.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If you're coming into town, the muny's are great. Play Lions before they shut it down. The greens at Kizer and Jimmy Clay are in terrible shape. Morris Williams is also a great muny. Bluebonnet is cheap and wide open.

9. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Thanks, everyone. I'll check into those.

10. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I played a bunch of courses in and around austin and used www.golf512.com for good deals...not sure price range but they have good deals.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My favorite public courses in Austin are Lions and Star Ranch. Crystal Falls is beautiful but you are going to lose some balls since everything is very rocky and greens are crap.