1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

**Aussie Thread!**

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Defy9, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Defy9

Defy9 Member

So i've seen that there are actually quite a few fellow Australians on this website, which came as somewhat of a surprise to me since I don't know ANYONE personally in Australia that goes for the Houston Rockets...

So post where you're from, how, when and why you started rooting for the Rockets or any other current events that are happening.

Also as to why the NBL is so ridiculously boring to watch, on TV anyway.

I'll start!

My name is Dan, 21 years old, been rooting for the Rockets for as long as I can remember (I did like the Bulls during the Jordan era though when I was younger as that really got me INTO basketball).

I went to the US when I was 8 years old and only really just started getting into balling at that age so never got to see a game. My dream is to one day see the Rockets play :)

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

My wife's mother's side of the family is all from rural QLD. They don't follow basketball. They're into rugby (although I think they call it something else?). After visiting the area, I didn't know anybody was really into basketball there

hope that helps brah

3. Roxs-Redemption

:) Australian Born Chinese fan..17Year Old. Name: Samuel H I wish there is more Australian Fans out there.

Goes to Carlingford High School. 1 More year till my HSCs. I think Im the youngest fan here :rolleyes: :eek:

I was born in 1995, but kept on moiving skipping school years

Add my msn if you guys what to talk more: terrorbomb@hotmail.com
    :eek: - I know its a lame name but meh

4. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Cheers for the post mate,

Rugby is Rugby here
    Gridiron is what we call your version of football (NFL type)
    and our Football is completely different, but it's also pretty **** IMO.

Nice to meet you Samuel, i'm actually a Germany born, Vietnamese nationality living in Australia fan :D

You might be the youngest but at least you don't post like one of em haha I added you to MSN as well.

5. Roxs-Redemption

Im going tonight with my friends to the King's Match starting 8PM :)
    I'll take some pics if I bring my camera!

6. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Name is Cameron and live in Perth, Australia.

Started following Houston back in the early 90's when Channel 10 (local station) used to show matches late at night. Took an interest in Houston and haven't looked back since.

My username comes from my love of the Fremantle Dockers (Australian Rules Football) :grin:

7. Roxs-Redemption

I never knew channel 10 had Rockets' games :eek:

Good to know you mate, Cameron :)

8. chonox

chonox Member

I rep Brisbane, initially a YOF but have taken a shine to the Rockets and have cheered them on through the TMAC/YAO era even though most if it was injured....

fav season thus far was when Artest/Von Wafer/Landry took us to the 2nd round (and pushed the eventual champs to 7 games!):D

Lowlights would include failing horribly against the j*zz in the first round twice...

Look forward to seeing how the future unravels... alot of promising talent in our current line up.

If anyone else is from Brisbane, hit us up for a pick-up game sometime, I usually play weekend afternoons :)

9. Christopher

Christopher Member

I guess I'm probably the original Aussie fan. Been here from just about the beginning.

I'm 30, live in Sydneys west. I'm a Rugby League fan (Take a look at my site!).

When I was about 14 I saw I could make money buying basketball cards and selling them to kids at school. So I bought a pack and seriously, good pack. A Michael Jordan Skylight. A bloke called Robert Horry. Some players I'd heard of.

Anyway I had a few Rockets players. I looked at the stats on the back and one guy with really weird sounding name had heaps of points, rebounds and blocks. So I had a favorite team, and now a favorite players.

So as for selling my cards, I still have every card from that original pack. I ended up with a big collection, spent heaps on Hakeem Olajuwon cards, and spent many late night just staying up to see scores on sports tonight!

As for the NBL.....geeks play basketball seriously in Australia. Even in Hugh school, me and my mates would play football all day, then in PE when we had a basketball lesson we'd thrash the kids that played basketball every day. You take a look at the NBL, it's played by the tall weird kids that grew up to be tall weird adults. Our best athletes go to others sports.

If it's a choice between watching the worlds best live on tv, or some crap local players.....guess what I'm gonna watch.

1 person likes this.
  10. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

You live in west sydney, that's why!

11. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Aussie comedy is the best

12. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

My God, you must be drunk.

And I'm an Aussie...

13. Christopher

Christopher Member

Right so, take a look at the NBL. What do you see? I mean, what would you call Andrew Gaze!

14. Christopher

Christopher Member

No it's not.

15. Aussie_Fozzey

Aussie_Fozzey Member

17 turning 18 in exactly a week, from Cairns Queensland die hard rockets fan since i was like 12, www.fozzey.com check my music to peace yo!

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My sister and her family has recently moved to Melbourne. She's not Australian nor a sports fan nor a bbs poster. I just thought I'd share.

17. davo

davo Contributing Member

After Christopher, I may be the second longest serving Aussie. Originally from Perth, but spent two summers in Houston in the eary 90's, then lived there for 5 years.

As a West Coast Eagles supporter, I am the sworn enemy of dockerland, but I do recall those Channel 10 broadcasts late at night. I would avoid all media for days at a time so I didn't learn the results of the Rockets playoff games, and then would sit up on the edge of my seat all night watching the replay!

I now live in the Bay Area, which is good becuase all of the sports teams I follow in my previous locations suck. West Coast, the Australian cricket team, the Rockets and the Astros. Its a good time to be away.

18. Defy9

Defy9 Member

This is by far the coolest story of becoming a Rockets fan. Like you I used to stay up late to watch the 20 second clip that they would show of NBA action on sports tonight...Ahh those were the days. I remember before I could actually watch any games just constantly refreshing the boxscore and picturing it all in my head.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

20. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Well F*** me dead! I want to carpet munch her