1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ausar Vs. Amen Thompson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, May 26, 2023.

?

Who will be the better pro?

1. Ausar

40 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Amen

142 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Ausar looks good, I hope Amen can be as good

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's doesn't surprise me because Pistons already has Cade, there's no point drafting a other point guard to go behind Cade.

The Rockets are in a desperate need of a distributor, it's more of a gamble to take on Amen and mold him into a NBA level PG. If we shoved Amen into a Tari Eason role, he would also be doing really well.

Amens defensive instincts are really good, but it might be a steep learning curve to play PG with his loose handles and inconsistent jumper

Invisible Fan, Dr of Dunk and OremLK like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Amen will get better but he will have similar problems as KPJ to a degree, in the beginning he is more of a wing.....it is easier to play the wing than Full time PG.

apollo33 likes this.
  4. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Good scouting vs lawyer scouting

Dredd likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's not that the Pistons even necessarily think Ausar is the better prospect--they already have Cade, Ivey, and Hayes. They don't need another tall point guard slash combo guard.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Detriot has bigger players along their front line. It makes it easier for Ausar to navigate. He can freelance more.

Look at that team! They are taller than the Rockets at every position.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm also watching Amen's defense. I think Iko said one of the 2 best defensive lineups so far (only a few games) includes him. I don't know if that will remain that way, but his skills aren't just bringing the ball up the court. Ime seems confident enough in him to make him among the first players off the bench... so far.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It does seem like most twin NBA players sort of go back and forth with who is better over time so I’m not worried about it. Even if one is better than the other, it’s not like the other one is that bad (see Robin vs Brooks Lopez). Markieff and Marcus went back and forth even though Markieff got off to a fast start and Marcus struggled in Houston.

If Amen is much worse than Ausar it’ll be the Rockets fault.

Ren ason and daywalker02 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I still do think the position plays a role, if Detroit starts a double PG with Killy Hayes and Cade, then Ausar is clearly the starting SF.

It is the perfect fit, the perfect position for Ausar to succeed. Even if he cannot shoot.

glimmertwins likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Like I said in other threads, they never were really that far apart. There was a point when Ausar was considered the better twin. Ausar doesn't have to worry about running the offense like Amen does, so he can do his thing while Cade and others do their thing. If Amen focused on defense and rebounding, there's no reason he also couldn't be better. Ausar's a perfect complementary player right now for that team. The Rockets would've loved a ball-handler, initiator, PG, etc., so they went with Amen.

11. MystikArkitect

There's a reason gadget players like Tari, Ausar, Mobley, Scottie, Keegan Murray and Herb Jones look good early on compared to their ball handling, offense laden counterparts. Cade is in year 3 and still can't put it together consistently.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This love for a PG is crazy, I mean if Ausar who is viewed as a non PG is averaging 5-6 apg....he can be all the Non Pg you want ...lol.

13. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

It's been a bit troubling for me watching the two twins because Ausar has been so good in his role and Amen has not yet.
    And I don't look at the results so much as the skills exhibited because results will always eventually follow skills mastered.
    But the skills part has me just as worried as the results do.

When you watch the twins play defense it's night and day in THE WAY they each do so.
    Ausar is constantly moving his feet to stay in front of his man and then closing out when he pulls up for a shot.
    Amen may take a stab at his guy or crowd him and then let him get past him and try to recover, putting the entire team defense at a disadvantage!

But the most worrisome thing to me is how bad Amen's handle is.
    It's the one thing I said last year in trying to evaluate Amen is that at OTE he mainly just drove to the hoop and either scored, put up a wild shot or passed out to an open man.
    But he NEVER drove in, probed the defense, came back out and set it up again.
    I didn't know if he had the handle for it or not.
    Unfortunately although early it seems that question's been answered for me in the negative.
    Neither brother can dribble very good but it's soo much more necessary if you're playing the point or initiating the offense!

If Amen ever wants to be a superstar he will have to improve his dribble immensely!
    This will unlock his athletic game so much.
    But I said the same thing about Jalen and though he's got slightly better his handle is nowhere near "tight"!

That actually compounds the problem because we have so many below average - horrible dribblers (Jalen, Jabari, Amen, to a degree Tari) that iin a motion offense you need this skill to excel!

But Ausar is in a MUCH better situation imho, being on a team that has much better passing (Cade + others) and general team cohesiveness.
    Plus he's basically fulfilling the exact same role he did at OTE last year.
    And doing great, even with a loose handle.

I'm not out on Amen, just realizing that he has some MAJOR skill improvements he needs to make to really thrive at this level.

He's actually still my new favorite player.
    From (Jalen, Alpe, Tari) to (Amen, Jalen, Alpe, Tari, Cam).

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Will Amen be a PG though? His inability to dribble seems like a real problem for a PG.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'd argue he already shows flashes of being able to dribble well enough, it's just inconsistent right now. I also wouldn't read too much into his first handful of NBA games. He's still getting used to the speed of the game

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well like I said before I loved Ausar more than Amen, that's cuz Ausar is a grinder and a killer on defense. You can see these past few games Ausar really came out prepared to destroy people on defense, the coach played him at different spots including the PF he is like a sane Dennis Rodman. There's a reason he was both MVP and Finals MVP over his brother. Dudes like a 6'7 Kobe he is out there to compete and dominate.

But Amen isn't bad either. He is more athletic than Ausar and clearly a more gifted passer. Right now he is the one with the highest potential on our team so I think it's dumb to blame Stone for picking one over the other. They're both studs.

bluffkin likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

They got Cade and they got Killian Hayes they don't need a Ben Simmons type of player.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's just the way it is, playmakers are the engine of a team and are rare to find. There's a reason Cade, Trae, Luka, Lamelo went so high in the draft, and probably why Amen went so high despite his clear weaknesses. I think it's also why we even took a flyer on KPJ.

Everyone's trying to find the next Luka

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Would y'all trade Jalen or Jabari for Ausar?

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What if they bust at the same time, too much risk