1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ausar and Amen Thompson

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by palmsnbananas, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Yes, Nike Elite Youth Basketball League and Nike Peach Jam after, Sharpe had a really nice summer of basketball. He basically went from unranked to ESPN #1, Rival #3, 247 #3. It was dominant in the eyes of the scouts given the level of competition. So dominant that he skyrocketed up the rankings. Sharpe by all accounts was the clear best player in his games.

You can look at Sharpe's history here, he was unranked on 247 prior to winter 2021 (https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Shaedon-Sharpe-at-Dream-City-Christian-255708/RecruitRankHistory/). ESPN initially jumped him to #6 spot after his summer of play from a unranked 3 star then eventually #1.

Usually players in the top 10 are OAD, with a few sucking/busting in college every year. Even when they suck, they get picked up in the first round or early second based on pedigree. Players typically ranked in the 20-40 like the Thompson twins are usually almost never OAD and take 2-3 years to mature. Of course, every year, there is a Ja Morant type of prospect who has no rank/very low rank and blows up the summer after freshman year; note that this is not the norm and is typically a rare event. The overwhelming majority of NBA lotto picks are former high 4/5 stars.

Just from a pedigree perspective, the Twins don't pass the sniff test.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sure but the question is if they got all that vision, creativity and athleticism how come they only putting up 17 pts vs high school kids?

Sharpe is the one who was the real mystery, but I dunno why you think Twins are a mystery? Everybody seeing them play just like other prospects, and its imo disturbing they dont dominate weaker comp esp when 2 of them are in the same team.

Like if Zion was playing in thr OTE you know he'd be 30 15 every night. Brandon Miller is scoring a lot more vs NCAA comp than Amen Thompson vs kids 2 yrs younger than him.

As for the twins themselves I like Ausar a lot more than Amen. Ausar at least has a potential jumper Amen has Suggs/Ben Simmons written all over him. I think there's a big chance Amen goes 3 just cuz every board has him at 3, but I'm just hoping Rox dont get him cuz I will flip out.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's a lot of good players in this draft who can help the team besides Miller, Scoot and Wemby. Cam whitmore, Amthony Black, Keyonte George, Jet Howard etc. Rox still need talent they are only Y3 in the rebuild next year.

comrade likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Part of the issue with Sharpe you're seeing is he reclassified to the 2021 class. He was originally in the 2022 class. He was the #1 ranked player in the 2022 class around the Fall of 2021. When he reclassified to 2021, he was usually ranked behind Chet and Paolo.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  5. comrade

comrade Member

Im drinking the Gradey Dick kool-aid

6. i3artow i3aller

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Clearly Amen's best skill isn't scoring, at least for now, but I think he has the potential to be an impact player through his playmaking, defense, and athleticism. It's hard to judge how good he is as a distributor for the same reason people are criticizing his scoring--he's not playing with good teammates. And no, playing with his brother doesn't really help that much in that regard, because he's not a great shooter either.

There's definitely an archetype of point guard who thrives by defense, passing, and energy. I think about guys like Marcus Smart.

The big question is whether he can develop into a so-so shooter. He can be mediocre and still be an impact player, but he can't be a complete nothing from three in today's NBA, which it seems like he kind of is right now.

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

"there is also a path to more upside among Dick's flashes of penetration and athletic finishes."

comrade and raining threes like this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sounds like a description of slightly larger Jalen Greens. That's very exciting and very offputting at the same time.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jalen green shot 38% in GLeague. Imagine Jalen Green with Ben Simmons shot lol

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

You realize all his opponents in blue come up to his chest right? I dont even know whats the highlight in the "Amen looks different" clip tbh. Amen had to bend down to steal the ball from his opponent thats how small their opponents are in OTE.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's got better handles than Jalen, but that broke-ass jumpshot. He's basically Jalen with a better handle and worse shooting, and maybe slightly less hops. But with the way this draft is starting to look, he may be our pick ... if we're #3. If we're 4 or below, Lord help me.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why isn’t Brice Sensabaugh getting more hype as a 19 year old freshman built the way he is scoring the way he can?

On paper looks he like a top 5 talent, on the mocks he’s protected a mid late first

15. i3artow i3aller

16. i3artow i3aller

17. i3artow i3aller

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

There's just a lot to dream on. Yes, there's a high chance that he's just a bust if he can't develop his offensive skills, and even if he ends up being successful it will probably take him at least a couple of kinda-painful years for him to start putting it all together. But we've seen guys develop their shots in the past, and Amen is an elite athlete, just incredibly explosive and quick. Derrick Rose comps in that regard. Ausar is also an excellent athlete, just not quite as elite as his brother, but it helps he's starting to shoot better.

Scouts love these guys with sky-high potential. If Amen reaches his absolute ceiling and gets a lot better at shooting you're talking MVP contender type of tools. That's why I can just about guarantee you Amen goes in the top ten barring anything crazy happening between now and the draft, despite the low level of competition he's up against, despite his lack of a jump shot. Ausar probably will as well.

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you gonna take a high risk flyer on any of these twins Ausar is the better one. Slightly less athletic than Amen, but at least has a history of shooting.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Just my opinion but picking top 3 you dont get guys who are boom or bust. Players with bust potential taken top 3, tend to be bad picks like Hasheem Thabeet, Darko Milicic, Marvin Williams etc Thats like paying blue chip price for a penny stock.

Drose never had any bust talk when he was a prospect.

Top 10? Sure ok...but I just dont think thats a wise choice in the top 5. Look at Dyson Daniels if his shot is broken thats basically Amen.