1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Audio] Rick Adelman not thrilled with how T-Mac handled it

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Wow...this whole thing is a freaking train wreck.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

4. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Obviously there was a deal to get Tmac out in place... and he's leaking this surgery crap so that he's not traded... i mean.. sugar land is a nice city and he owns two homes here.. i see him driving around in his range a couple of times.

What a sneaky lil guy.. i'd rather have VC over Tmac anyday of the year.. VC can FINISH games and has a better fundamental shot and layup than tmac..

tmac is just a streaky athletic specimen.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch

So Tmac chose the quietest way of handling this..
    by telling ESPN's STEPHEN A SMITH!!! :eek:

Yeah..

6. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

How do you not tell your coaches first? Crazy.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Yeah T-Mac, burn those bridges.

8. ThaShark316_28

T-Mac is finished in this city...and after he goes to another team...he's gonna get the hell boo'd outta him when he's introduced.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

sad. just sad :(

10. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Lost respect for the one they once called T-Mac. Now he's just some sorry loser with a girl's name.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

TMac has basically Crapped on the franchise by doing this......unreal....I doubt he plays for Houston ever again.

DD

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

TMac just loves Houston and doesn't want to play elsewhere. If you guys were real Houston fans you'd support him in this. You must not be about Clutch City. Vote soon in my new pool about how likely you would be to give shirtless backrubs to anyone who ever wore a Rockets uniform.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel bad for coach.

Work your magic Morey. Please give us some hope!

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

That is pathetic. You can't blame Adelman for being angry. T-mac should of sat down with Adelman, Morey, and Les to talk about this before running to the press.

T-mac makes every situation harder than it should be with how he handles things at times.

15. worzel gummidge

Do we all still doubt Stephen A Smith for claiming Tracy welcomed a trade to Detroit?

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Forgive him! He must be in deep depression right now.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The real locker room cancer.

Maybe not directly, but this kind of stuff sure as hell can't rub his teammates the right way.

It will be very hard for me to support this team again fully if McGrady is ever on the court wearing a Rockets jersey ever again.

I truly mean that. His behavior is insubordinate, repulsive, and detrimental to our cause.

I only hope our current squad can come together now and develop some chemistry and make a nice playoff run. Reaching the 2nd round would really stick it to Me-Mac.

18. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

This is what clutchfans.net can you bring to you Tmac.. the wrath of turn against who you REALLY are.. which never would have been set free to the public were it not for what you would refer to as.. clutchfans.doghouse

19. rox0607champs

rox0607champs Member

McGrady's surgery declaration perturbs Rockets
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    Feb. 18, 2009, 3:16PM

Tracy McGrady left little doubt.

McGrady announced he would have microfracture surgery, the last-resort option he had been avoiding, to repair his troublesome left knee. He would be out for the remainder of the season.

The Rockets, however, were not so sure.

Forced to hear of McGrady’s decision to have season-ending and career-threatening surgery on ESPN and then to read about it on his Web site, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said on his radio show that no decision has been made. Rockets coach Rick Adelman strenuously decried having to learn about his struggling starting shooting guard’s status in the media, rather than from him.

"I think he’s meeting with another doctor, one of the top guys in Chicago," Morey said. "And the plan is to meet with Tracy — he met with a doctor in New York yesterday — and look at all the options. I think the one that is out there right now (microfracture surgery), which is hard to comment on because I don’t have anything direct there, is the most extreme of the options. But we’re going to look at what all the doctors say, sit down with T-Mac, and his agent (Arn Tellem) and the team doctor (Tom Clanton) and decide what’s best."

McGrady, however, was clear that the decision has already been made. He said last week after an MRI showed no change in his condition that he was not even considering surgery. After tests with a more advanced T-2 MRI, one of just two in the nation, on Tuesday, however, he said he would need the microfracture surgery.

"My knee hasn't been right all year, and we can't seem to get the pain to go away," McGrady wrote on t-mac.com. "We’ve tried just playing through it, taking back-to-backs off, and extended periods of rest, but none of it has really been effective in limiting the discomfort and allowing me to just go out there and play.

"Microfracture surgery is a serious procedure, but I'm confident that I will be able to return next season with the same strength and explosiveness you are all used to seeing from me," McGrady wrote. "It has been extremely frustrating dealing with the knee injury this season. It's been tough on me both physically and mentally and while we've come to this conclusion after much deliberation, we truly feel this is best for both me and the Rockets in the long term."

When he said, however, how "we" feel, he apparently was not including the Rockets.

Adelman said he did not know if McGrady would need to take the extreme step that McGrady said he would undergo immediately. He was vehement, however, in his position that McGrady should not have made an announcement without even talking to him.

"I found out like everybody else did. I think there should be a protocol there, there should be a procedure where we have a chance to sit down and talk about situation and not be announced in the press. I don’t know why that happened, why he did that. It certainly is not the way it should be handled.

"I saw what he said in the paper. With everything that’s gone on this year, it certainly is not the way it should have gone down. I just thing there’s right ways to do things and this is not the right way to do it. That’s something that should have been talked about with him, the doctors, the team. Certainly, I’m not going to question if that’s the right thing to do if that’s what the doctors say. Certainly, we deserve a little bit better than having it announced in the press and not knowing exactly what went down or what the doctors say."

McGrady has missed 19 games this season while trying to rehabilitate his knee after arthroscopic surgery May 6. In his last game, he made just 1 of 9 shots in a Feb. 9 loss in Milwaukee, including a missed breakaway dunk.

He is averaging 15.6 points per game, making a career-low 38.8 percent of his shots. In his first four seasons with the Rockets, the Rockets went 20-46 in games McGrady missed. This season, they are 13-6 without him.

If McGrady must miss all of next season, there is a disabled player exception to the NBA salary cap that would allow the Rockets to spend half McGrady’s $23.2 million salary next season on another player. It is unclear and subject to NBA review whether his condition would be considered to have fallen within the Dec. 1 through June 30 window to make the Rockets eligible for that exception.

In December, he visited Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion. The Rockets announced he would miss one week. He said he would miss three weeks. In January, he agreed that he could play hard, but would not be able to play in both games of back-to-backs. Later in January, he took two weeks to work on his conditioning.

With each departure, he returned claiming that he had turned a corner in his recovery.

"So kick me when I’m down, because I swear to you, I’ll be back up," McGrady said last month. "And when I get back up, I’m going to sit back and I’m going to laugh, man, because I’m going to have the last laugh."

Last week, however, he said that after making progress, the knee has continued to regress. Even then, however, he said he would return to the court after the All-Star break.

Players that undergo microfracture surgery, however, have had widely varying degrees of success coming back at all. McGrady’s procedure would be on a non weight-bearing part of his knee, dramatically improving his prognosis.

In a microfracture surgery, a surgeon creates small fractures in underlying bone to form replacement cartilage known as a "super-clot." The rehabilitation could take from between six months to a year, depending on how much cartilage must be replaced.

The procedure effectively end the careers of Allan Houston, Terrell Brandon, Jonathan Bender and Jamal Mashburn. Others, such as Chris Webber and Anfernee Hardaway, returned from microfracture surgery, but were never the same. Others still, from Amar’e Stoudemire to Jason Kidd and Antonio McDyess have returned to play well, with Stoudemire seeming as strong as he was before the procedure.

"Obviously, something needs to get done," Adelman said. "We’ve gone through the whole year. He has not moved very well. He has not played well. If this gets him healthy, that’s great.

"We’re better off moving forward now. We tried every which way possible. He had an effect on the team. We were always in and out. If this is the best thing for him, we’re going to move on and try to have the best season we can have."
    :mad: :confused: :mad:

20. tested911

tested911 Member

That is pretty sad when the head coach knows the same amount of information and was informed of it the same way.. Seriously T-mac that is a low blow man. Even though at times I'm not thrilled with Adelman you still have to respect him as a coach. Jesus Steven Loud mouth Smith before telling your coach!!!! LOL What a joke T-slack is right now. I have lost all respect for that poor piss whiner.

For all those who still believe in T-slack this just shows the character of the man.

T-slack get the F@#k out of Houston! (I've never felt this way of any Rockets in the past 20 years)