1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attn ClutchFans: Time to Get a Grip

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, May 19, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Because he's been involved with team USA and is technically an associate head coach for philly or something like that.

I don't think it follows that because MDA is offensive minded and hasn't had a top ten defense that's it's impossible or even improbable the rockets won't be a good defensive team. If we hired JVG/Vogel/Thibs would that doom us to a mediocre offense?

The most important thing is point differential, not simply being great on side of the court.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hire D'An as an offensive assistant along with a strong defensive mind at HC.

3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

MDA has proven in Philly that he is a force to be reckoned with. :rolleyes:
    So yes people lets chill.

4. treeman

treeman Member

This thread is so far off the mark. It is most certainly time to panic. This team is literally melting down before our eyes. Literally. I mean LITERALLY. Melting. Like Velveeta cheese after 3:30 on high in a 900w microwave. MELTING. LITERALLY.

OP, the time for deluding ourselves with false confidence, trust in management, and hope for a better future is over. It is time to burn the bit*h down. There is no alternative at this point but to cry and scream. And die. We're all going to die. Literally. BOOK IT.

2 people like this.
  5. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

This kinda goes along with what I've been thinking (although I thought JVG would have done very well here).

I don't think that MDA is the worst coach out there... I think he's an upgrade over JBB at this point in his career, but I just don't see him as a guy who can bring us a NBA championship - which is one big reason I was never a huge fan of McHale. To me, this move screams out that the organization's priority is entertainment rather than winning a title.

6. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

7. alethios

alethios Member

[​IMG]

8. arjun

arjun Member

real question: if steve kerr coached the mid-00s phoenix suns team...would he have gotten them to play defense?

in other words -- did MDA focus only on offense because he knew his teams would be ****ty on defense no matter what?

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The core question about D"Antoni is whether he can be successful in the NBA again. He's 65 years old. His avg record in Phoenix in 5 years was 53-29. In under 4 years with the NY Knicks, it was 34-48. At LA (aka The Titanic) it was 36-46. I do not doubt that D'Antoni can deliver a top-10 offense - he's done this 6 times in 10 seasons as a head coach. Every D'Antoni team in Phoenix finished 1st or 2nd in offense. His offensive philosophy is currently propagating throughout the league with GSW leading the way. But offense is not the Rocket's core problem - they were 4th this season in offense but 28th in defense. And with everyone in the league embracing the D'Antoni style of bball, the need, especially here, for a defensive scheme that can mitigate this offensive tsunami becomes paramount if this team is to successfully contend. Now riddle me this: WHEN has D'Antoni proven that he can design and implement a defensive scheme that is capable of not only stopping opponents but aggressive and innovative opponents of the ilk of a GS? Going forward the teams that can come up with defensive tactics that properly address these trends will have the best chance at success. It is certainly not unfair to ask if D'Antoni is the type of coach who can do this especially when these are concepts that he's never coached before.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I agree with the general spirit of OP's post. It is what it is. Us true fans have no choice but to embrace it.

That said, we have every right to disagree with hiring Coach Pringles. From the outside looking in, it's a pretty poor fit.

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

12. dmoneybangbang

It's certainly fair to discuss that but it's certainly premature to start proclaiming the Rockets are going to suck for the next 3 years or this and that. Not accusing you of doing the latter, just saying there's a lot knee jerking going on.

To put it in perspective, the Spurs who were head and shoulders the best defensive team in the league lost to the 2nd best offensive team. This was a fantastic Spurs team even for their storied franchise. It's simply more complicated than you are making it out to be.

Are you wrong to bring up MDA's defensive woes? Of course not. However, I think the big picture is important. The top teams have the top point differentials usually. We don't necessarily need a top ten defensive team to compete with the best, we just need a better balance between offense and defense. Simply being slightly above average defensively (allow 2 less PPG) and slightly better offensively (score 2 more PPG) would probably put us squarely in the second tier below GSW/Spurs/OKC.

I am still on the fence about Pringles, but I think some good defensive assistant coaches (a person can dream that JVG says f-it I want to coach and stay in Houston so I'll become an assistant) and a decent free agency can put us back to where we need to be. I would prefer Messina personally, but I get MDA fit. I get how it could also blow up in our faces but I suppose I'm not convinced for the latter is more certain.

13. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

Well.... he made Linsanity happen, for one.

14. dwhite

dwhite Member

It has already been done with Dantoni and Melo in New York....how did that turn out???

Respectfully,

Public Apology To McHale OP

1 person likes this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

Facts:
    This is a fan sight where people share opinions as well as vent.

How about you take your own advice and quit being such a "pu$$y, and being bent out of shape on opinions that differ then yours. That is all.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

You whiners don't get it. I have no problem with people thinking D'Antoni is not a good fit for this team. I have a problem with people who shout that he's the worst possible coach and that with him at the helm, we'll be doomed to the conference cellar for the next five years.

I'd also like to point out that many of those same Chicken Littles are the ones who have been screaming about how Les needs to tank so we can land some superstar talent. They don't even have the courage of their own convictions.

TL;DR -- I'm not bent out of shape, I'm just allergic to all this recent drama queening.
    <BR>

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Then take your allergic whining little self out of here. I've never seen so much whining about other people whining.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dude, this is MY thread. GTFO if you don't like it. :grin:

If you want the drama queen stuff, you have dozens of threads on the front page to choose from. Look for the ones with all caps or more than 3 exclamation points.
    <BR>

19. dmoneybangbang

Harden is more Nash than Melo especially in the pnr which pringles likes to use. Melo has never been a great distributor.

20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Not for the next five year, within the next five years.

Please quote the prophecy correctly!:mad: