1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attitude - It is all about attitude.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MysticRyder, Jul 2, 2002.

Tags:
  1. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

We all know that Yao's and Nachbars attitude is absolute great. I hope that the Rockets gain by their attitudes. It would really be nice if the whole team adopted their attitude. IMO That is what the team really needs a change in attitude.
    Anyone out their want to add any thoughts to this.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

No nothing to add i guess... :confused:
    most of the Rocks do have good attitudes ..except KC...needs a winning attitude.

3. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I love the fact that Nachbar says that once he worked out here, he wanted to be in Houston.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What is the team's current attitude? I'm just curious, I don't know what to call the way that Steve and Cat still went out and played hard regardless of injuries and absolutely no chance for the playoffs. I'm also curious as to what the attitude that our rookies have that our whole team should adopt. I know that Nachbar is happy to be a Rocket and that he really wanted to be on the team, but I can't say that I know how he is as a player. Is he tough, is he a hot dog. His video made him look like he was already a member of this team, the way he loved to dunk and celebrate. Ming, I don't know about his attitude either. I know he wants to be the best basketball player he can be, as do many of the current Rockets, I know he is confidant and cocky(calling out Shaq), like our current Rockets. So those are my thoughts.

5. Darth West

Darth West Member

I thought Ming was all about altitude ...

6. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

What we need is a change in attitude from the coaching staff about how this team is going to operate. It is somewhat obvious the last few years that Rudy T, for whatever reason (injuries, etc.) has become too much of a players coach & possibly content with being mediocre given the situation before him. Rudy needs to step it up as a coach.

Now that we have had such an impressive draft & with healthy players coming back from injury, everyone associated with the Rockets are excited about the possibilities. I think we might need a complete overhaul on how things are done to prepare for the season. The coaching staff will no doubt revise the playbook, but we need to also change our overall team attitude to motivate the players. We need every single person to play a role for the team, given we have the Franchise leading the troop, and tons of young talent, so it looks bright. But this year and how we approach things is so critical to the next 10 years for the simple fact that if we have the players buy into the new system now, then things will be much easier down the road.

I trust that Rudy & the coaching staff will step it up themselves, sorry for the rambling. Hopefully I got my point across on how important a change in the team attitude will help during this very promising & critical year for the Rockets. Any other thoughts?

#6 ron413, Jul 2, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2002
  7. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

If we have all of our players back Rudy will be a hero again. It is hard to teach new things to a team that is injured most of the time. Let's hope this year they will stay healthy.

:D :D :D :D :D

8. D-Up

D-Up Member

Hmmmm. You are right, there are a lot of players on this team that love to dunk. Nachbar and Yao just add to that.

There is no starter or potential starter that understands the importance of D. That includes our new guys.

Other than TMo and maybe Tito, who has that commitment to D? Rockets need to seriously address this issue. If Sacramento can improve their D, then the Rockets surely can as well.

Rockets probably lack, more than anything, in terms of attitude, a sense of professionalism. This comes with maturity. That's why it is so important for a good vet to mentor these kids. Or at least show them by example.

I hate to bring him up again, as he's no vet, but Predrag Savovic is a very mature 25 years old. He's not just older, but he is so basketball savvy, a regular Heypartner but with NBA skills. :p

The guy is calm under pressure and is pure clutch, nothing ever appears to faze him. The guy has one of the prettiest, and quickest, strokes I have ever seen. It looks almost exactly the same no matter where he lets it fly on the floor, whether it is an NBA three (and he is a prolific 3 point shooter) or a 15 foot jump shot in the lane.

9. Oski2005

He'd still be a rookie, and I doubt that the other guys on this team who are the same age or older are gonna follow his example.

10. D-Up

D-Up Member

Ever hear the phrase:

LEADERS ARE BORN, NOT MADE.

Savovic is a born leader.

Name me one current Rocket you can say the same.

11. Oski2005

Do you know him personally? It's easy to call him a leader when he's a 25 year old man playing with and against boys. All I know is that he has a sweet shot, the rockets brought him in for a workout, and decided to pass on him. I trust what management did.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

If it's all about altitude, then I for the Nugs.

13. D-Up

D-Up Member

Do I know Savo personally?

Do you mean do I know what color underwear he has on on any given day? Of course not.

But I live in Hawaii, and I have seen every game (except for 2 in 2000) LIVE since he's been here. I have spoken to him before and after games, even at common events we've attended.

Savo is the most NBA ready player that I have seen since Tim Duncan. He's the real deal.

Even with Yao on the court, Savo would be the smartest/most knowledgeable (in terms of basketball, at least) Rocket.

He not just a gifted player, he is a leader. Period.

14. WyoRox

WyoRox Member

As far as attitude goes, I was impressed by the management/coaching decision to give all the current players tape on Yao. This seemed to open a few minds and I believe that steps like this are at least a step in the right direction chemistry-wise.
    At least management/coaching are thinking chemistry :) !

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

that is why I lean towards Boki than Woods from the get-go...We knew Woods was an American talent and "known", but I saw enough clips and just his overall attitude to be more than impressed. same towards Ming as well...

16. Oski2005

Well that explains it. You've met him and seen him up close, but you've never talked to any of the current Rockets, so what do you have to compare him to? What does NBA ready mean? Is it coming into the league and being the best player on your team? Brand had a great rookie year, so did Francis. Pau Gasol came in and was already one of the best in the league, Battier also had a good year and is one of the most mature rookies ever. If Savo is as good as you say he is, somebody would have taken him. Good shooting and leadership are never overlooked, yet he was. So until an NBA team signs him, I'm gonna believe that he is just a good shooter.

By the way, when did this whole "Yao is a basketball genius" stuff get started? Can we wait until he gets here before we start judging the him. If he doesn't perform right away, some of you guys are gonna end up being angry at him.

#16 Oski2005, Jul 2, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2002
  17. D-Up

D-Up Member

I'll give you Battier and Brand.

But don't assume that I haven't met any Rockets, or other NBA players.

But you are correct, Savo was not picked up by any team on draft day, so I can talk until I'm blue in the face, it is Savovic who's eventually got to do the walk.

We'll see.

18. Col. Crap

Col. Crap Member

... you don't see humility much these days,
    That's why having Yao and Nachbar is such a breath of fresh air.

19. Oski2005

They don't seem to express humility to me. Yao has already talked trash about Shaq and called Tyson Chandler a "little piece of cake." Watch the Nachbar videos, he does all the things that people who complain abour our current players' attitude do. He thumps his chest like Steve or Cat after a dunk, he got into a fight. . . I'm not complaining, I love to see those things, but let's not start saying our Rookies are a breath of fresh air when they fit in with this team, minus the fact that they are foreign. The only humble player on this team, counting the rooks, is Griffin. He doesn't celebrate on the court and he never talks trash.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think magnitude best describes Ming...