1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attention to Detail: James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Where did you get the data?

Harden actually improved his 2p fg%, but he took fewer shots at the rim (6% less and a career low) and his 3pt fg% declined.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Great video.

His faults offensively:
    - In today's NBA, not an "amazing" shooter, and not consistently. You know not in that elite shooter level. To a large extent, at this point, that is what it is.

- Offensive movement. He'll always be a dominant one on one player. But he used to be better off the ball, in OKC, and in his first years here in Houston. I suspect this issue will go away to a large extent this year, so that he'll be a combination of the Harden we saw the last 2 years, and the Harden that moved more without the ball.

- Turnovers. Mental thing as much as anything. Many of his turnovers are just dumb, mental mistakes. He'll never be amazing A/TO guy, but given his usage, and the fact that he's a scorer first and foremost, if he can just eliminate 1 mental turnover a game, he'd be perfectly fine there.

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks! That was an excellent breakdown.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Pelican Terrence, I think that's you YOLO's referring to.

[​IMG]
    <BR>

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm pretty sure the season before he was over 50% on Stepbacks or at least high 40s and although small sample size I know that year at one point he was over 50% on step back threes.

Personally for me that's the last move he needs to eliminate, really Harden is fine on offense he doesn't need to do anything different he's one of the elite offensive players to ever play the game and it's getting hugely over looked by just about everyone.

He needs to let his teammates help him, up his D to were he at least is aware of what he needs to do at all times. Doesn't have to be Lebron like on that end chasing down blocks but just don't be a liability on some possessions. And lastly cut done on some of those TOs, which I think will happen if he fully commits to a system and not this freelance way we've been playing the past 4 years.

If he doesn those 3 things the rockets will succeed into being a top 5 team in the nba record wise again even if it is just a 4th seed come playoff time and Harden will be seen as a top 5 MVP player again by just about every major media member.

Hell in already hearing NBA radio hosts saying MVP is going to be Lebron/Westbrook/harden so some media ppl are already aware of what is about to happen which is a monster season by the beard statistically.

6. zigzag

zigzag Member

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Ya lol I wasn't sure because I didn't look it up but I remember reading during the season that he was insanely efficient from the midrange to 3pt stepback jumpers. This is two years in row that he's been over 45% on step backs and as you alluded 22% have been from three so roughly 1/4 of those attempts.

As Bill Worrell says Harden is the step daddy.

8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Excellent. Made me really miss the ketchup-and-mustard throwbacks. I hate and don't understand why they're not on 2K16.

9. basketballholic

Those are 2015 numbers and they aren't accurate. They're pulled grim game logs and the logs only occasionally state step back jumper. They catch maybe 15-20% of the actual step back shots and those that they mark are usually key moments.

To get a better idea of his step back jumper accuracy check out pull up jumper stats at nba.com. They track every shot outside 10 feet where there was 1 or more dribbles. The greater majority (around 75%) of those shots for Harden are step backs.

Not only that simply rewind yurt game vids and count'em up yourself. I went through 28 games. His step back percentage was 39% and I counted every one included the little dink step backs (Not fade aways) in the lane. Watch the vid and count them for yourself.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I went through all regular season and playoff games. It's 45%.

Let me know when you catch up and we'll talk.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Go away.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That is a sweet video. Thanks, OP!

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just curious if you took out each teams best player and kept the remaining roster and coaching staff intact last year, where would you rank the rockets without harder?

are they closer to
    warrios/cavs

or pacers/grizz

or lakers/sixers

14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Anderson will be an important contribution, but Eric Gordon staying healthy is a bigger factor in helping Harden imo.

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

A matter of coaching and personnel.... Emphasis on personnel

16. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Check his % from the past year and previous seasons...... He's the best in the league at it.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=262398

17. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You're flat out incorrect... Those are not stepbacks those are pull up jumpers and no they're not the same thing..... I did a whole thread on his stepback jump shooting and he you can even watch video compilations of all his stepbacks...

His percentage was lower in the first quarter of the year cuz of the slump, but he got back on track considerably.

The numbers are accurate... 197 attempts is accurate... He takes and makes em more than anyone.
    He's the best at it when volume and % is taking into account....

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So, so true.

Were this a new lowlight compilation we would easily already be in double digits with no signs of stopping.

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is why Harden is a top 5 player. Despite the only player on our team worth a damn and really the only player anyone needs to focus guarding, he still finds ways to carry our otherwise ****ty team.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If it's a last resort shot, which is what the step back is, 42% is fantastic. If he's hit an average of 46% over the last 2 seasons, that's even better.

The only thing Harden needs to do on offense is be more decisive with his passing - i.e. stop passing only when you're exhausted or in uncontrollable momentum. I've seen in a couple of articles that D'Antoni is actually big on working these things out from scratch - crisp, decisive, well timed passes.

The other thing is moving off the ball. I anticipate that's going to be a challenge for him. He certainly has trust issues and has never had to play off the ball much in the NBA. Even with OKC, he was regularly dominating the ball coming off the bench.