1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atlanta Hawks: Tracy McGrady fumes over playing time

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SidDaKid, Feb 19, 2012.

1. SidDaKid

SidDaKid Member

February 19, 2012, by Michael Cunningham

Portland–Hawks forward Tracy McGrady’s private frustrations over his playing time finally boiled over after he played just 4:39 during the 97-77 loss to the Blazers late Saturday.

“I’m tired of this [bleep],” McGrady said. “You can put that in the paper, I don’t give a [bleep].”

McGrady didn’t play after halftime against the Blazers. He didn’t dress for Atlanta’s 101-99 victory at Phoenix Thursday but said it was his decision to rest for the second game of a back-to-back. Against the Blazers, McGrady never returned after Marvin Williams replaced him with 7:21 left in the first half.

McGrady has played in 26 of 32 games this season for an average of 18 minutes before Saturday’s game. Last season with Detroit McGrady averaged 23 minutes in 72 games.

McGrady said Hawks coach Larry Drew hasn’t offered him an explanation when he doesn’t play him many minutes.

“If you don’t feel I can help, come tell me that,” McGrady said. “He ain’t told me nothing. I just want to help these guys win, man, which I know I can. But, damn, four minutes?”

McGrady made his comments after Drew’s postgame news conference. Earlier this week Drew, speaking generally about the limited amount of minutes available for his many veteran players, said he thinks it’s important to offer them an explanation when they don’t play much.

McGrady said he’s previously approached Drew about the topic but doesn’t plan on doing so again.

“I have before but I’m only going to do that one time,” McGrady said.

Drew has said he’s mindful of saving McGrady’s body from wear and tear. McGrady was a two-time scoring champion before a series of injuries that includes a herniated disk in his back. He suffered back spasms on Jan. 11 and sat out three games.

McGrady said that when he suits up, that means he’s ready to play.

“My body feels great,” McGrady said. “If it didn’t, I wouldn’t play.”

Under CBA rules, McGrady would be eligible for a trade on March 1. He didn’t go so far as to say he wants out of Atlanta but said he wants to play a bigger role for the Hawks.

“Hopefully, I’m here,” he said. “I like it here. I like the guys. That’s what I love most about it. I like the guys in this locker room. But at the same time, I still can play. No doubt in my mind.”

Michael Cunningham, Hawks beat

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/02/19/atlanta-hawks-tracy-mcgrady-fumes-over-playing-time/

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What's the story with him still 'resting' on back-to-back games? Shouldn't that be over with at some point? Being worried about 'any' injury occurring seems high maintenance to me.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

*Double post*

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If his body feels great, why is he resting himself on the second night of back-to-backs?

6. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Tmac for twill :grin:?

7. Shakee

Shakee Member

This is sad...After all the hell I give my homeboy who is a hardcore Iverson fan for black balling himself out if the league. I guess McGrady is self destructing?

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

How is his the last few games?

Could it be a behind-the-scenes kinda thing during practice that the public don't know about? I'm not going to take MerGady's word for it since we all know dude isn't to be trusted. No one else spoke out? LOL if they're just giving him the silent treatment like he doesn't exist.

9. Shakee

Shakee Member

*out of the league*

10. TheresTheDagger

Some people never learn how to shut the hell up.

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

why should he?

12. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

In other words, the sky is still blue. Nothing has changed.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

The interesting fact is that most fans are against him because he has been so lazy this year, but people covering the Hawks will all tell you they're tired or Marvin and Vlad and he needs more time.

14. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

i don't care what anybody says about mcgrady he is still gonna be my 2nd favorite player of all time. i've watched him play and he deserves to get more minutes

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Tracy whining and crying again... what a shock.

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Why is there a separate thread for this? It was already poster in the other T-Mac thread.....
    ******* is it makeathreadfebruary?

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Bud for Tmac straight up....

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not even halfway through a shortened season and that washed up prima donna is already opening his fat trap. Does the idiot never learned? His mouth already talked him out of chance to play with Rose last year. Now he is going to talk himself right out of Atlanta.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You're right - he should say whatever he wants. As long as he's happy to ride the pine for having a whine.

McGrady sux. The Hawks have more important things to worry about than finding more minutes for a 6ppg scorer who can't defend and thinks he's more important than he really is.

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I don't like him much but I would rather have him than TWill.

At least we know he is capable.