1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atkins 1 year later

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jun 12, 2004.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well,

It has been about 1 year since I went on the Atkins diet. I was about 205 pounds and lost about 30 in 2 months.

Around Ocotober of last year I went off the diet or lifestyle completely, and I just ate sensibly, and my weight hovered between 175-178.

Then in March of this year we had a bunch of conventions and occasions to dine out.....also, I started having an occasional Soda again after going cold turkey from my 6 Dr Pepper a day habit.

I slowly gained weight back to 186, so, knowing Atkins works, I went back on it and quickly dropped the weight.

Today, I weighed in at 175, and am still in Ketosis due to my starting Atkins again. I am contemplating going down to 165, as I still have a very small gut in the middle, not much....in fact I have lost 12 inches in circumference from my overall girth around the ole Tummy area.

I still love Atkins, and with all the new low carb products that are made with Splenda, it is easier than ever.

My biggest jones is Ice Cream, and now there are TONS of great ice creams to choose from, my favorite is Butter Pecan.

So, one year later, I am still at my weight, and know a bunch more about how my body works and how to burn fat than I ever did.....

I know there are some others on here that had some success, Smeg???

Atkins for life......baby !!

DD

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Thats cool!

The whole concept is to eat low carb foods and exercise? How does that work?

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Congrats Dada. I still say keep in touch with your doctor when you go through something like this. As an example, consider the guy in the following article. One of the first things I asked about when the Atkins/low-carb craze took off was about the effects on cholesterol and knocking other vital "stuff" out of balance in your body either short-term or long-term. Always keep in touch with your doctor when doing this because my guess is that the body reacts differently for different people and thus the results will probably differ.

Apparently the first lawsuit against Atkins and its healthiness :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5079614/

Anybody remember the oats/bran craze of the 80's and 90's? Everything had BRAN and OATS all over it because it did everything from reduce cholesterol to cure cancer. :D The media blitz with Atkins is on now - every other commercial has some form of "low carb" incentive in it now. It reminds me of the oats and bran days.

Anyway, congrats again Dada.

5. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I have a couple of questions concerning the weight loss afterwards. I myself this time last year went on a diet (not Atkins, just exercise and eat healthy) and ended up losing 60-65 pounds. Now considering I'm only 18 years old and have a higher metabolism, it's fair to say that it's probably around your range.

A few of my questions are:
    1. Did people begin treating you differently after the weight loss? I noticed that a lot of people were more friendly and well more "friendly" if you know what I mean. :D
    2. Did you see yourself acting differently, i.e. a boost of confidence or more outgoing. I guess that's just typical...
    3. Do you see this new you as a totally different person, or are you still the same? Sometimes I can't believe who I was before.

Good luck with keeping it off.

6. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Excuse me for butting in.

The thing is people judge you by what you look.

;)

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I heard from my stats teacher this year, said that going on the atkins makes you go to the restroom a lot, think he said because of the loss of the carbohydrates.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I stayed on Atkins for about 4 months....induction was only 2 months worth...I went from 287 to 240.

I, like you Dada, am totally off Atkins and just tring to eat sensibly and am still drinking diet vanilla cokes instead of my 8+ DPs a day...

I hover between 240 and 245....but more often than not, I am near 240.

Im really thinkin about going back on for a while to see if I can drop another 30lbs or so...at which time I will try to stabalize around 200...which is about right for my frame and height...

I have noticed zero bad effects on my health...and matter of fact...I feel better and have more energy than I useed to.

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Good job mate.

10. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Congratulations, DaDakota. It sounds like you're healthy and happy. Rock on! :)

11. red

red Contributing Member

congrats on being happy with your weight...

...but as a culinary student and taking nutrition classes...the atkins diet is horrible. just eat more veggies and work out.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What are your LDL, HDL, and cholesterol levels and did you note them before you started the diet? I ask people on the diet this, but nobody can tell me.

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

I feel the same way about the Atkins diet. Complex Carbs are the body's main source of energy. If my memory serves me correctly, fat is the next source then protein..which is found in the muscles. The body should never go there for its energy source under normal circumstances.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

DoD,

I rarely go to doctors...therefore, have no idea what my levels were before or after..sorry...its a b**** working in a field with zero benefits...cant afford random doctors tests.

James,

the whole basis behind Atkins is that you want to burn the fat instead of carbs..you do take in a minimal amount of carbs each day...but you want it to be so little that the body turns to your stored fat to function.

IF you do it the way it is outlined, your body should never have to progress past fat in it's search for fuel. The assumption that Atkins means burning anything other than carbs and fat is a fallacy of Atkins apponents.

There is more to this that what is being spread amongst nonbelievers....it works for alot of people that have difficulty losing weight....why does that seem so bad to some people?

15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I actually need the reverse of atkins diet. I'm 5'9" and weigh about 110. I don't gain weight no matter how much I eat. It's actually a huge pain shopping for clothe since most stuff, especially pants, are too large for me. Also, being a scrawny asian kid with glasses just isn't a good thing.

I've tried eating a lot of fatty foods, i wonce had three 99 cents Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendys for every dinner for 3 weeks in high school, but instead of gaining weight (maybe 2 pounds) I've managed to get my tryglyceride level up into outrageous purportions and my doctor had to put me on a non dairy, non fatty meant diet to get it down.

Now that I'm in college, I can't really gorge on food like I use to in highschool and I think I'm even skinnier.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i probably lost 10kgs in a couple of months, doing induction for a month and then the next stage for another month

pretty much since then i still stay away from pasta, rice and bread and have pretty love sugar intake

haven't really got back into drinking much beer

and like others have diet softdrinks

been having organic muesili, organic yoghurt and protein powder for breakfast every second morning... damn i love the slow release carbs are great... and keeps the bowel regular....

certainly helped me lose a few kgs.... and drastically reduce my crap intake.... interestingly i would still 7 months on have a fairly low carb intake

in addition i started riding to work 3-4 times a week and thats a 34km roud trip each time... which has certainly help lose a few more kgs

probably later in the year i'll do induction for another month again.... it is certainly easier in summer.... bbq some meat and salad... damn i love that

17. Sane

Sane Member

I lost around 40lbs on this thing.

I have been off it for around 6 months now though.

Just yesterday I was thinking about doing one month because I desperately need to lose another 10lbs, and can't seem to do it by eating "sensibly".

Problem is, I'm doing weightlifting, and apparently, I wouldn't survive without the carbs.

I'm contemplating whether I should just go on the diet and bear the reduced energy/power/recovery for a month or just forget it.

My protein powder also has way too many carbs for me to be on Atkins anyway. So I'd have to stop taking that too.

Then again, most Atkins food is very high in protein.

Do you guys have any experience with lifting weights and then going on Atkins?

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

wow, have you ever seen Supersize me? thats exactly what happened to this guy Morgan Spurlock, his tryglycerides went up, but he ate MCD's for a month straight, nothing else in his diet: breakfast, lunch, dinner.

be careful on a high-fat diet, your liver will turn to "pate"

as far as gaining weight, I am in your boat.

i am 5'8" 120, I tell people 125 or 130 because i hate being a skinny b*stard.

i could eat 3 bacon chee burgers, two filet mignons and a bucket full of bagels and pasta and i CANNOT GAIN WEIGHT

19. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Yes I've seen supersize me. That's actually when I realized that having cafeteria food for lunch and a lot 3 wendys 99 cents burgers dinner (my parents worked a lot during that period and we had a wendy right around the corner so they just gave us 3 dollars a day for dinner) was probably why i had to go on that diet for health reasons. Didn't gain weight though.

20. drapg

drapg Member

:mad:

I hate people who have trouble gaining weight.

:mad: