1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Athleticism overrated for point guards in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by maverick4231, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I don't know why you're being so nitpicky and condescending over this. I never claimed where Westbrook's injury came from, though I know it wasn't on a drive to the basket. It was during an attempt to call time out, and Pat was playing him aggressively.

My only opinion here is that a certain style of play among guards may be part of the reason for shorter careers, injuries, etc. And, often you hear of these guards figuring out a new way of playing at a high level so that they lessen the risk of another injury.

It's all good if you disagree because I like to talk ball, but this isn't really about Russell. Heck, my first example was Stevie and how he played above the rim and risked his body among the big guys. It's just an opinion man.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is a really poor description of Roy and Ginobody. Cuttino Mobley had a great, first step. Roy was great at silky smooth, slow motion penetration. Ginobody was great at his last step (and step back)...not his first step. And what is a Second Bounce?

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Pretty much all the best SGs in the history of the NBA have even more an athletic, above the rim, dare-devil style of play. And they didn't get injured more than any other style of play or position.

I don't see this connection, at all. The OP is far from fact, and I don't get how it's connected to just the PG position.

Argument seems very focused on one time period in the NBA, and specifically Westbrook and Rose....and BBall IQ seems to be the sub-plot.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Steve Nash. I agree with OP :grin:

I mean, it's not overrated but the player gotta know when to tone it down to not get injured.

Too bad nash is not with the Suns' medical staff.