1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Athletic] Stone: Comfortable with the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Dec 21, 2023.

1. tagedieb

tagedieb Member

Not sold on Sengun being a franchise player, he has to be more consistent.
    He has to get better as a 3 point threat and increase consistency of the mid-range jumper to average more than 20 points.
    The opponents are already swarming him when he gets the ball close to the basket, and it is clearly frustrating him..

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's young enough & shows enough positive signs that I feel pretty confident the shooting will come around to a passable level

I don't know if he will become a top 10 player--that's possible, but he obviously has more work to do to get there and it's not unusual for guys to plateau around age 22-23. But I feel confident he will be in multiple all-star games in his prime years.

evo8lover, albuster and Nook like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Spot on

beardsanity713 and Nook like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Okay… no need to go into every positive thing that has happened and tell you why it’s not the flex you think it is.

All I will say is there’s a reason why Stone wanted to keep Silas a season and a half longer than he should have. He knew that the second a new coach, especially a good one, was brought on that the spotlight would be on him and if good things happened it would be because of the new coach and he’d get little credit. He hid behind Silas when it was obvious that he lost the locker room. It was a glimpse into how self interested this guy is, and you couple that with the self interest of the KPJ fiasco and it creates a base of distrust with fans like me where his agenda gets in the way of just making the right moves when they need to be made.

So do I have an “agenda” against Stone… yeah admittingly I do. I’ll own up to that. I mean the guy couldn’t even take 2 second in a press conference at media day to say “i condemn acts of violence against women” etc etc. he acted like a huge coward and our local media other than Jackson enabled his cowardice to just act like the KPJ situation didn’t happen.

So not only is he proven to be a GM who makes moves or doesn’t make moves out of a selfish agenda, but he’s also someone who seemingly harbored a abusive monster and didn’t have the guts to actually address it and instead took the opportunity to just brush it aside.

agenda against Stone… check. Yes the team is doing well DESPITE him.

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

That sounds like Stone needs to go out and get players who move off the ball and take advantage of the defenders swarming Sengun, no?

albuster likes this.
  6. cbass

cbass Member

I agree with your take on KPJ, and Stone for sure kept Silas around for too long and allowed our culture to become a laughingstock around the league because of it.

But guess what, basically all of that got fixed in one offseason. Our culture is good now. We have good vets who Stone signed and excellent coach who Stone hired. It’s okay to give credit where it’s due. To date, this season has been an unqualified success, that’s not even arguable.

Also, I have no idea how you can presume to speak so confidently on Stone’s motivations for keeping Silas around a half season too long. Either you’re telepathic, you’re Stone’s confidant, or you’re wildly speculating out of your a**.

#106 cbass, Dec 22, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    No Worries likes this.
  7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I mean, I think certain fans have a disproportionate amount of hate for him. And these people are more prevalent than those that have a disproportionate amount of praise for him if that makes sense,

I tend to agree with your assessment, and I think that he has been average, and that the future will define if that ends up being remembered as below or above average.

Maxey looking great but it seems like we still would’ve inherited a bunch of middling pics and Ben Simmons. Right now we are at Tari+2 future firsts+2 swaps. so, I guess that takes us back to the reality that stone will not be judged accurately for five years.

dmoneybangbang and Nook like this.
  8. BreakYoSelfFool

This definitely means we are in for some big changes. I can't believe there are still people believing anything that Stone says before the trade deadline. He has always done the exact opposite of what he indicates he will do in interviews.

9. albuster

albuster Member

You are absolutely right. It is up to Ime now to take advantage of the opponents' schemes to swarm Sengun and have the other offensive players be in position to get the outlet pass and make an open shot. It is fundamental basketball that Dream and Rudy T were great at during the Rockets' championship years.

daywalker02 and Downtown Sniper like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is 21 dude. Getting swarmed is a non issue since he is a great passer.

11. bmelo

bmelo Member

Why do we have to get franchise player anyway? Maybe the model is 04 Pistons or 01 Kings

12. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Is there any trade targets the rockets should be looking at or do we just stay with the roster how it is?

13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Not surprising, most this board has a "agenda" against Stone simply based off his appearance. It angers you this man rebuilt this team from scratch in 3 years and we're seeing results. You NEVER liked Stone to begin with

So based on this, there is a pedophile monster being harbored in OKC. He is STILL on the team and Sam Presti hasn't condemned players having sexual relationships with minors nor suspended this guy. Is Presti a coward? Who's culture is in a better position, ours or OKC? The problem is we're winning and instead of give this man credit, you keep bringing up a player who isn't even on the roster lol. KPJ hasn't played one game this year. The anti Stone bias is not basketball related, it's more about him not fitting YOUR description on how a successful GM looks. The agenda shows

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those are outliers and mediocre markets such as Sactown and Detroit are coerced into this situation of internal growth.

Houston actually has the better market positionwise......they just act like a smaller town for whatever reason.

The exits of both McGrady and Harden were not pretty, and Yao's tenure did not end that well either.

I know it is a basketball city but I feel there are cities that are generally more excited about bball.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I want Brogdon and he is attainable. Take a look at the rosters of tanking teams and pick out a backup center that you can get with a draft pick. The 2024 Brooklyn pick is a real shot in the dark with a poor draft class. I would use it, Tate, Oladipo to go after Brogdon and a back-up center. We don’t really need our draft picks/swaps with OKC so I could see using them as well. We have a really solid core of young players to build on. In two years, we will have FVV’s contract and a lot of cap space. Some will have to go for extensions at some point.

vjohnson likes this.
  16. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

if it wasnt for the new cap space rules, you would probably be looking at resigning Wood to a near midlevel, and maybe a back up point guard, at most. rules made Stone and Ferti spend money, not themselves. and they spent so much cap space, it is like more than half a team, so any new success is the probable outcome, not anything magical. and KPJ scandals were not Stone's choice. he just got lucky.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Houston needs a backup center
    This game, in particular, provides another reason why Houston needs to go out and get a reliable backup center. To have a 6'4 small forward in Jae'Sean Tate guarding KAT lies the very problem.

Initially, they had accomplished this task, but the signing has ended up backfiring. Jock Landale is a complete liability on the floor and cannot integrate himself in Udoka's offense. His days as a Rocket should be numbered. The fact that the Rockets hardly have an answer to guard the opponent bigs when Sengun goes to the bench is a major issue.

Prior to this homestand, the Rockets were one of the best home teams in the NBA. They now have a forgettable 2-4 record on this seven-game homestand with the final matchup against the two seeded Milwaukee Bucks on Saturday night in a back-to-back. This will be the second matchup against the Bucks following a loss on their home floor in Milwaukee. At Friday's pre-game press conference, Udoka expressed hope that Tari Eason would return against the Bucks game Saturday night and further added Eason's absence against the Wolves was due to the back-to-back schedule.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-houston-timberwolves-defeat

18. dmoneybangbang

Landale clearly hasn't worked out.

I'm not that keen on a major move at this stage in the game, but also feels like a team should always be predatory. That is to say, I think most likely we'll consolidate the overall roster a bit with some very minor moves.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You kind of answered your own question. In the last 20+ years, there have only been 2 (?) and even those teams were loaded. B. Wallace, R. Wallace, Hamilton, Billups, Prince is a damn nice lineup. Most second or third-tier NBA teams can't compete with that.

Getting 3 or 4 very good players in a starting lineup and competing for a ring can probably be more difficult than getting 1 or maybe even 2 franchise players. You kind of hope you can find #2, #3, etc. and pray you can somehow get a #1/franchise player. The majority of teams that seriously win or compete have studs on the level of Jokic, Lebron, Curry, Giannis, etc. The rest of the teams with 3-4 good starters are in the next tier. On that Kings team, I think they had Webber and Peja. lol. Again, those guys were great/elite players during that run. If you're just talking about getting 3 or 4 "good players", I doubt you'll win anything.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

We the slowest team in the league I wonder my not give bobi 10min a game? Can't be worse than undersized black hole tate or nothing landale.

Easy likes this.