1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Athletes and Money

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Franchise3, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

This thread was spurned on by the Patriots timeline I read about the events leading up to Moss being traded, but it really has been in the back of my mind for a couple years.

I don't understand athletes and how much they cry about how much money they are making when it comes time to get a new contract. Moss is just coming off a 3-year, $27-million contract and was whining about how the Patriots "don't pay people". While that point is certainly arguable, I find it laughable (and sad) that Moss was probably pouting and whining over what I'm guessing was somewhere in the area of $1-3 million per year in salary.

While that is realistically a lot of money, it is put into perspective when you realize he made enough money on his last contract to last him for the rest of his life. I remember Shaq doing similar shenanigans when he wanted Buss to pay him like running down the court after a dunk and yelling "F'ing PAY ME" to him. And there are countless other absurd examples.

It seems like so many players put so much weight on their contracts instead of winning. I have begun to realize how much of a different world these guys must live in. Personally, if I was making big-time athlete money, I would be so happy to take even just a $2-3 million per year cut if team management would go pick up some good players to play alongside me. I give ultimate respect for players who take smaller contracts for a better chance to win, merely because it is so rare to see.

What causes these athletes to demand huge contracts like this? Greed? Lack of self-awareness? Long-term security? Bad investments eating up previous earnings? I apologize for the long ranting post, but I just don't get it. :confused:

2. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Its hard for most fans to see but the sport is a business to them. They are trying to make as much money as possible while they are in the prime of their career.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Both atheletes and owners whine about money. Fans whine about money, too (tick prices, why our owner is too cheap to pay lux tax, etc.).

Americans like to whine.

4. DieHard Rocket

Probably a combination of these. I think a lot of guys don't think twice about saving/investing and just blow a large chunk of their contracts on possessions.

There's also just a high disconnect between us and them financially. Anybody is going to want to be paid what is fair market value for their profession, talents and experience (side note: this is what makes NFL rookie contracts so ridiculous!) ... whether you've been an investment banker for 10 years, a school teacher with a ph.D, or a pro athlete.

Not saying that it's not absurd that they b**** about it, because it is. But it's also absurd that a lot of people in other professions b**** about their pay too.

You're right overall, though. If they cared more about winning and less about contracts, they'd probably actually make more money ... teams wouldn't have to worry about players slacking off after a big payday, and only playing during "contract years".

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How do you feel about Owners raising Ticket Prices? Begging for new stadiums.
    Basically running in the streets saying . .. PAY ME!!

Rocket River

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I almost never worry about football players going out for as much money as possible. Many of them pretty much destroy their bodies and make the NFL Billions of dollars by doing it.

They are fighting for every dollar they can get in an extremely small window of opportunity.

With NFL non-guaranteed contracts, every time they take the field their career can be over.

An NFL team has no qualms about cutting a guy when it is no longer financially responsible to have him on the pay roll. Why shouldn't he try to make as much as possible when he can?

I personally also try to make as much money as possible, have changed jobs to do so, have taken assignments that I may not have wanted to do to move up the ladder. If I thought I was worth 10% more in salary, I'd certainly do what it took to get it. My company would have no problem laying me off if it made sense for them, so I should try to get paid as much as possible as quickly as possible, yes? Its just in my case we are talking thousands of dollars, not millions. Yet its basically the same thing.

7. liljojo

liljojo Member

They do it because it's the smart thing to do. It can be annoying to us fans, but if you or I were in a similar situation, we would be doing the exact same thing.

I also hate it when people accuse athletes about not wanting to win. They didn't become pro athletes by being losers. They just believe that they can always win, regardless of where they go. Except maybe the Nets, Clippers, Browns, or Bills, but no FA ever signs to those teams.

8. DieHard Rocket

A lot of that is greed too, but some of it is just supply and demand. It's not like they just decide they want to raise ticket prices because they want more money ... prices move to whatever point supply and demand meet. They put a lot of study into it, I'm sure.

9. liljojo

liljojo Member

I find it funny that some people think that NFL owners bought franchises in order to cater to fans. Owners buy franchises as investments. They aren't going to keep ticket prices down when they know that people are willing to buy them at a higher price. That's just dumb.

10. Major

Major Member

Players wanting to maximize their salary is the same thing. Randy Moss quality receivers are in low supply, so they cost a lot.

I have a problem with players holding out and deciding they don't like the contract they agreed to. But as free agents, they should pursue whatever it is they want, whether that be money, a particular location, playing with a bunch of other superstars, etc. That's their opportunity to do whatever makes them happiest.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

I think a lot points have been touched upon already.

1) Supply and demand - They are the top of their profession. They have to literally beat out tens of thousands to be in that position, dedicating and going "all in" in the that profession. Once they are there and the power dynamic shifts (when they start proving they're indispensable on some levels), they are not going to play nice and we shouldn't expect them to.

2) Fair market value is wanted by the person that is doing the job no matter what. You can live pretty ok on $40k a year. But if you see other's with similar skill set making $60K, are you going to be happy staying at your job knowing some one is getting paid signficantly more for same or some time worse performance? A lot of it is not even about the money, I think pride is involved.

3) They spend a lot... ok that's a lame excuse but think of it this way. A lower middle class at $50K a year can live much better than a lower middle class in say India ($5K a year?). While cost of living is higher, you can ride buses to work and share bedrooms, people in the cities of developing country with equal skilled professions (talking about lawyers, doctors, engineers, and heck sales clerk) make less and live "worse". A lot of what we spend on are excess also (video games, TV, internet etc.). Is there a legitimate gripe when they ask why would we leave a $50K job for a $60K job?

#11 wizkid83, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  12. DieHard Rocket

True, but this is referring to b****ing about contract extensions while they are still playing under their current contract (and in Moss' case making good money). Shutup and play now, then you will be rewarded what you are worth when your contract is up whether it is with your current team or not.

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

If b****ing is not against the contract, it's all fair game in my mind. Pro athletes are not the only ones that want to renegotiate contracts just before it's up.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not True .. . once ole Boxer is used up . . off to the Glue Factory!

You have to strike while the iron is hot .. .other wise you miss out.

Funny. . .
    Why is it ok for an owner to say . . hey you are worth 4 yrs 40 million
    then back out after year two . . .when the productions goes down
    but
    It is an issue when the player overacheives . .. from his 250K contract
    and performs like the #1 receiver in the league .. .to ask for a raise?

Why is it so one-sided?
    Owners can back out of contracts they signed at any time
    Why should the players be force to honor something that the owners don't have too?

Rocket River

15. RV6

RV6 Member

Its the fans' fault.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its easy to see why players get upset despite having accumulated plenty of money. You rank yourself at your position, you look at the deals players better than you and below you are making, then you determine where you stand and you demand market value. Why settle for less? I doubt he was asking for much more than he deserves. Its the bloated rookie contracts screwing things up.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think the point is to honor your current contract and don't let the negotiations for a new contract impact your play or attitude. If the team chooses to not negotiate a new contract during the season that is their right and the player should strive to live up to the contract that is already in place.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I don't understand why investment bankers are asking for raises when McDonalds workers are making so much less! They should just be happy to make what they are making!

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

This I agree with, except in football the team doesn't have to honor your contract if they decide they want out of it.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

In the nfl the team can cut you like that. I don't fault a player for doing everything in their power to get paid. The owner blackmail cities into building them palaces and giving them sweetheart leases.

If NFL players weren't so stupid they might get paid better.