1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atheist: If your children believe in God, does it not effect you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TexasStake, Feb 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

If you're a person who believes there is no God, and when we die that's it. Life is a puff of smoke. Being a Christian, that's a very depressing thought. However I've often pondered what it would take to give this atheist-way-of-thinking another thought.

Say you had a son/daughter who was a believer and believed what the Bible says and how you can have eternal life, and those who do not believe will not be saved and perish. Is it worth anything to you having this conflict of opinion? I mean just think for a second... living a Christian life, the worst that could happen is you may treat your wife a little better, your family a little better, your neighbor a little better... you'll think twice about doing things you know is wrong and maybe you're original thought was right and once you die, that's it....

But what if your wrong and there is eternal life IF you believe? It means EVERYTHING. How could you be at peace knowing you could potentially be spending an eternity away from the ones you love. I've seriously wondered this for the longest time and just hadn't brought the question up to many people. So please, enlighten me because I'm genuinely interested in your answers.

Thanks.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So... Pascal's Wager?

3. SacTown

SacTown Member

You should encourage your child to be a free thinker. Let them draw their own conclusions, and then support whatever conclusion they come to without forcing your own dogma on them.

It would be an incredibly selfish thing for you to worry about being in some sort of afterlife without them and try to force them to change their views and change the way they live their life in the present because of this.

4. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

I understand your response but I was referring to the opposite of that. The parent letting the child do as they please, and when they choose to believe in ever lasting life and coming to the crossroads knowing that if your wrong in your atheist beliefs, then you missed out on the chance to be with them after death.

Maybe the misunderstanding comes in because some people may feel "this is the way I feel and if I don't want to believe in an afterlife then that's that" but what gets me is knowing your own flesh and blood believes the opposite, and if they are right in their beliefs, then you missed out on that invaluable opportunity for whatever reason.

5. dback816

dback816 Member

I rather be burning in hell and have my children partying with Jesus for eternally than the other way around.

You seem to be someone who would happily condemn his children if they didint follow your religion.

6. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

No one can convince you into believing something that you just don't. Put it another way, what if your kids were of a different religion, and they tried to convince you to leave Christianity for eternal life with them in that other religion. It's not going to happen right?

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So your saying just flip a switch and start outwardly acting like you believe, so that you can get into Heaven with your kid? Is God that easily fooled?

8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

The thought of spending eternity with anyone makes me want to defecate.

9. bongman

bongman Member

I feel that you need to read your post without bias and hopefully you can find your answer there. If there is life after death, the proposition that you will not be with your loved ones unless you believe in a particular ideology is just another form of blackmail. In addition, using fear to try and convince somebody to modify his belief... BOTH are morally wrong in any level.

10. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

God easily fooled? Nah, he's God. He knows whats in your heart. You can't act like you believe, what good is that for anyone?

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm an atheist and my wife is born-again. We're teaching our children about Jesus. It's a bummer for my wife that her husband will go to hell. It'll probably be a bummer for my kids too if they accept the faith. I wish it didn't cause them sadness, but of course it will and should. I can't help that.

I suppose in my choice to raise my kids in the church I'm doing something like a Pascal's Wager. Not so much that there's so much to gain by being Christian, but at least there's nothing to lose. Atheism is a pretty dreary existence. They won't be missing out on much if they choose to believe in God.

1 person likes this.
  12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I think what you're not realizing is that most, if not all atheists WANT to believe in god. are you kidding? the promise of eternal life if you suppress a vice here and there, pray for forgiveness and pledge devotion to a awesome loving dad in the sky? who wouldn't want that?

it's not about hedging your bets, or deciding to believe in something "just to be safe" or wanting to be with your kids when you're dead. if you don't believe, you don't believe. no amount of praying and being prayed for and trying to desperately to believe will make an atheist a theist. we've seen the evidence and we've rejected it.

what if some dude came up to you in the street and told you that unless you believe in an electric neon octopus floating through space, you will miss out on eternal life. LIKE, OMG THAT SOUNDS AMAZING! the catch being, of course, that belief must be genuine to be valid...and nobody's going to EARNESTLY pledge their belief in space octopi no matter what it promises you...

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So wait...why then after several decades of not believing would you suddenly start believing just because your kid does? This whole scenario doesn't make sense.

14. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

Excellent response. To get to the bottom of both opinions of their religion, I would dig deep and research the text in which each religion was intended, the the words truly meant at the time they were written and so forth.

For instance, even in the church there are much different interpretations of the Bible. Baptism, comes from the word baptiso and it means to submerge. To fully submerge... not a sprinkle of water on the forehead, not just a dip in the water, but to be fully submerged just like you would do a cucumber to make a pickle.

Between every church and place to practice religion, there are alot of misinterpretations along the years and that is one of the main reasons people tend to turn from a certain religion. "Why would I believe in a story that is ever changing?" Someone once told me.

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

this is what i don't understand about op's question...how do you make yourself believe if you don't? anything else is just fooling yourself

1 person likes this.
  16. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

Im just trying to put myself in the shoes of the people that would fit this scenario. If I believed in a one and done life, and my children believed in eternal life... would I not love them enough to try and try and try to understand if not fully for myself but the reasons they themselves believe in it? I can't even stand the thought right now of being seperated (whether it be thats just not the way you were raised or a personal choice you made later in life) with a child that you would be so set on your ways that you wouldn't exercise your mind just for a moment, even if you don't go anywhere in your way of thinking.

17. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

There are non believers that eventual convert and believe. Why is there? A number of reasons could happen. I've attended multiple churches and I can honestly say I think the most effective way to get the message across is the one speaking the message. I can hear the same message spoken by 50 different pastors, and I could pick 1 or 2 that hits me directly more then any of the others.

That to me is the number one reason... if I had listened to the same preachers I grew up listening to for my entire life, I would still have question after question. Now, my eyes have opened up to so much more and I can comprehend what I hear on a weekly basis.

18. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I thought one of the main tenets of atheism is live your life to the fullest, it's all that you have. Why would this be dreary?

19. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

After saying all that....

What if believers are right, and Jesus comes back. What would the atheist say about why they didn't believe? Will they cry that there wasn't enough physical evidence to warrant a belief in it? Will they deny that they didn't have equal opportunities in life to find this peace others found in finding God? What will they say Jesus/God could've done to have prevented their eternal damnation?

Trust me, knowing at that time an eternal lake of fire awaits them they will kick, scream, and plead to an extent in which not even you can comprehend at this moment. But it will be too late... if believers are right.

20. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

If Jesus appears in my bedroom tonight to tell/show me things, I will check into a mental hospital tomorrow.

1 person likes this.