1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atheism Is Punishable By Death In These 13 Countries

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 12, 2013.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Thanks Hobbes!

Leviathan: "The fool who hath said in his heart there is no such thing as justice" is the same fool who "hath said there is no God."

Totalitarianism requires absolute submission.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This post made no sense whatsoever.

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Thank God I'm not an atheist, I'm a Christian...at least l'd be safe to express my views in those countries.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Disagree. Although it was a bit clumsily worded.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What "leftists" feel that way? I don't know any, and being more "of the left" than anywhere else in the political spectrum, you'd think I would know someone that would fit that particular description. With all due repsect to Jackie, I think that's way too broad a brush on this topic. As to the topic, the death penalty for being an atheist in the countries mentioned, one would think that we'd be screaming bloody murder about it in the United Nations, and in other international forums. If we have, I must have missed it. The very idea of killing a person who disagrees about religion, any religion, or lack of same, simply beggars the imagination.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ugh - more backwards assed religious laws.

Hip hip hooray !

DD

7. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

You won't be killed here, but I've certainly been on the wrong end of some hatred and have been deleted from Facebook by some "friends". You know its real when you're off of someone's Facebook list. I'm with Richard Dawkins, admission of atheism is almost like coming out of the closest for a gay person.

I don't get it, I'm going to hell for not believing anyway, right?

8. Apps

Apps Member

In a country where religion is law, atheism is treason. It's as simple as that. Iran prior to 1979 never had any such law, and the country's population then was probably more religious than it is now (due to the significant shift in demographics, post-revolution).

Governments, especially dictatorships, have to watch out for their own asses. To continue using Iran as an example, it has the lowest mosque-going population of all other Muslim countries. How do you think the Islamic Republic feels about that? You have to keep the population in line, so if some citizens start getting wise with you and conversion becomes a trend, then what choice do you have but to jail them for their dissidence, torture them until they publicly renounce their views, or execute them otherwise? These countries are mostly fascist regimes, and this is how all fascists deal with dissent, not just the Islamic ones.

Try to use some political realism, ATW. For goodness' sake, what do you think these governments were ever going to do? Sit people down and talk it out over tea?

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

People who live in gas chambers shouldn't throw bones.

10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

how long til we have agnostic/atheist political leaders? america needs to pull the stick out of its ass.

they can't be any worse than the religious nutjobs we have in office right now.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Made complete sense. Perhaps you lack the intelligence to comprehend?

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Good grief, stop whining. And try to cobble some kind of facts together, yeesh.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm surprised there are so many countries in Europe where you can be imprisoned for blasphemy.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I also couldn't understand it. What does he mean? These Muslim countries levying a death penalty for atheism are actually run by atheists?

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

this

yuropeens explain yourselves

16. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

I'm athiest! cool story right? Taking physical anthropology classes and maturing will do it to ya'