1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ataque de Panico! (Panic Attack)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by marks0223, Dec 19, 2009.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Link

From Uruguay to Hollywood

Here's a fairy tale that could only happen in the movies. Man makes YouTube video. Goes to Hollywood. Gets pots of money and a movie deal. Except this story is true.

An unknown producer from Uruguay, Fede Alvarez, shelled out about $300 to create a cool video of a robot invasion in Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay. The four-minute short, "Ataque de Panico!" (Panic Attack) features ginormous (but slow-moving) weapon-wielding robots that blow stuff up.

We have to admit, it has pretty amazing production values. The Playlist gushed that the director may be the next Neill Blomkamp, who made the South African-based alien flick "District 9." With the blog abuzz, the South American short went viral, and has already been viewed on YouTube 1.5 million times.

Well, apparently nothing gets by Hollywood these days. The lucky duck told the BBC, "I uploaded 'Ataque de Panico!' on a Thursday and on Monday my inbox was totally full of emails from Hollywood studios." Long story short, a bidding war ensued. The offer he pocketed: A $30 million deal with Sam "Spiderman" Raimi's Ghost House Pictures. That's a nice return on investment.

The picture will be a sci-fi thriller set in Argentina and Uruguay. In case you're hoping to see the feature-length version of "Panic Attack!" in a movie theater, it won't be from this deal. The newly minted "it" guy says he will start from scratch.

Here's the video that got him Hollywood gold.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-dadPWhEhVk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-dadPWhEhVk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

2. kikimama

kikimama Member

But is it because of his cgi editing skills? Because the score sounds like 30 days later and story wasn't there for me ;) . I guess Hollywood likes how this guy only spent $300 to do this.

3. Castro

Castro Member

Ya i saw this a while back and i just don't understand the big deal. The score is stolen from other movies and there was zero dialouge. As far as the filming, anyone with a little bit of artistic ability could film those shots. So how do you give this guy a fak load of money to make a feature film based on this?

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

1 Titanic
    2 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    4 The Dark Knight
    5 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    6 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    7 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    8 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    9 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    10 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Top 10 of movies of all time. The common theme among them: A lot of money on special effects and cgi.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Well.... here's your chance to get $30 mil by posting a youtube video of your own work. Tell the world you made it for only $299. :)

6. Castro

Castro Member

I'd rather bring the future of p*rn. Amazing CGI and 3d with hardcore scenes.

Just picture it. A couple finding out that nukes have just been launched and they engage in hardcore anal knowing it is the end and as you see the nukes launching in the background. Next, Scenes from around the world....different women from different cultures getting boned as you see cloud and fire in the sky. And Simultaneous busting of nuts just as the nukes fall destroying everything and everyone(think terminator when Sarah Conner is at the playground except with people boning).

Credits.

I'll even get Clint Mansell to do the score.

Coming to IMAX3D theaters everywhere!

7. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

the CG effects are pretty good for an amateur. i wouldn't throw that kind of money at him but he still has some potential. i would at least give him a job if i was a studio exec.

the guy who did district 9 also got discovered from a short film that he made but i thought his work was much more deserving of a hollywood contract.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZ1vHRs_EOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZ1vHRs_EOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

8. BetterThanEver

I saw District 9 in the theaters. It was pretty good and original for an alien movie.

I never saw the "Alive in Joburg" short though. Yeah, the District 9 director is definitely better, because of the original story. The clips of the locals commenting about the aliens seemed so authentic, like the meat market guy and the father with children who couldn't sleep.

Thanks.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I like how people are trying to compare this to Alive in Joburg eventually leading to District 9 when it couldn't be more different.

Just the look alone should remind everyone of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow which had a similar beginning as well except I don't think youtube was up or as popular when that guy made his homemade film. This is going to be a disaster, there's nothing here except giant retro robots fighting their way to the center of the city to explode when they could have easily just landed there in the first place. That's the first clue that this guy isn't much for story telling.

10. BetterThanEver

I can't understand how most blockbusters make so much money with the horrible story telling in Hollywood. It shouldn't hurt him there.