1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At what point will Morey blow it up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jzmagic, Nov 11, 2010.

1. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Morey so far has been steadfast in his perception that we're a serious title contender despite our early season woes. What if we move into the allstar break with a subpar .500 team, or limp into the playoffs as the 8th seed and get destroyed by the lakers in the first round? Do you guys think Morey will continue to do little "tweaks" to the roster?

One more failed season, we should rebuild, but I don't think its going to happen under Morey's watch.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think he'll ever blow up the team. The closest thing would be not resigning Yao and seeking out another star to build around. But the Rockets aren't going to gut the team and hope for the lottery to save them.

3. G-Money

G-Money Member

If we go winless on this road trip, he should definitely do SOMETHING.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Yea, I don't think he would start trading away EVERYONE but I can see him making serious changes, if this doesn't get better, by new years.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I feel bad for Morey because this team and coaching should be better than it is. This sh** is embarassing. :eek:

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the team is terrible, then they are already in the lottery, why do you need to blow up a lottery team to get into the lottery? You'd trade/not resign some of your older guys.

If the team has talent, then they'll figure things out.

We'll see, in any case, I don't expect anything to happen right away.

7. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Rockets won't be the worst team in the league, but there's a chance that they will finish 14th worst just like last year, or as a 7 or 8 seed that gets stomped.

Perpetual mediocrity is the worst thing in the NBA, you don't finish low enough to get elite lottery talent, or you never get past the 1st round of the playoffs.

8. redao

redao Member

Going into the lottery is a war.
    It takes courage and wisdom to win the whole thing.
    There is so much we can do to lose and suck.
    I'd blow the team up after every game to keep our lead.
    Trade every tradable player for cash, picks and cap space.

BTW, the Ariza trade was a perfect one in the sense of going for the lottery.....Morey was way ahead of us.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sure, at some point you'd trade parts of your, say, 38 or 40 win team, who can be useful to other teams, for future picks and prospects. I agree with that.

You do that when your current 38-40 win team is basically getting old and have little growth potential left, and have no assets (picks, propsects) to trade for a star player or two to seriously upgrade your roster to jump into, say, 55 win territory (which would give you a somewhat realistic chance of playoff success). One such team is the Bobcats.

On the other hand, if you have, say, a 48-52 win team, and have either young enough players who have possibility of growth, and assets to possibly get an upgrade in a trade or in a draft, "blowing it up" is somewhat foolish.

(And if you have 25 win team, you are already blown up, so don't bother blowing more).

The question is where the Rockets think they are, the first 7 games don't look good, but given that "blowing up" can be done any time, most typically in the offseaosn or at the trade deadline, the team should continue to explore all trade opportunities but it doesn't make any sense to make a firesale now.

10. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Hard to blow up a team when the team already looks blown up.

We have players with potential, exp. contracts, injured vets, and are in dead last in the NBA.

P. S. I still support my Rockets :grin:

11. Sanity2disChaos

Thats being nice! The expectaions proceeded the team.....Morey is already thinking of ways to improve this mess of a saeson.. please believe!!

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If the Rockets do not show improvement and are clearly out of the Playoff picture in February, you will see a series of small moves to prep the team to go younger and move past the Yao Ming/Battier/Hayes era.

First move would be to let the younger guys play extended minutes to prep them for the next year. Second would be to move the older vets for either picks or young talent. Any team with playoff ambitions would probably love to have Hayes, Battier, and Jefferies on their squad suprisingly.

The biggest move that will be made that would be the closest to blowing up the team would maybe be moving Adelman and announcing that Yao will not be resigned. Brooks and Martin could go either way but I assume they would be able to be had at the right price. Probably one of the two would be moved at least.

13. dobro1229

Agreed. Inquiring about Kevin Love tells you exactly what he is looking to do given the way this season is going.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Which is exactly where we're at.

15. makman

makman Member

I'm sure he's already blowing up the phones right now.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Guys, when talking about the Rockets "blowing it up" to get back in the lottery, please consider this:

The Houston Rockets are in the (somewhat rare and enviable) position of having the rights to as many as two (2) lottery picks in the next two drafts FROM ANOTHER TEAM.

For as bad as the Rockets are playing, they are surely better than a 1-6 team. They have held a fourth quarter lead in every single game. Meanwhile, the Knicks are a little-below-pedestrian 3-5 and do not exactly look like they will be a force in the East this year.

If things play out perfectly for Houston, the Rockets could get as high as the #2 pick in 2011 and the #6 pick in 2012. Of course, that is not likely to happen. But getting, say, the #9 pick in 2011 and the #12 pick in 2012 is a fairly realistic (if not highly probable) outcome.

Even if the Rockets "gutted" the team, whatever players were left, running Adelman's system, would likely not fare much worse than those draft slots.

Bottom line: Calm down, people. If the Rockets are absolutely horrendous for a significant stretch beyond now (which I doubt they will be), then the lottery pick will come. But even if they continue to be mediocre, those lottery picks may still come.

Just sit back and enjoy rooting against the Knicks for the next two years.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Also, you don't make any moves under duress....

Got to take time and do a proper evaluation, now maybe at some point you bench the old guard for the new, but not yet.

DD

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree. I think he'll try to find a way to rebuild the team without ever sucking. I'm not sure if that's advisable, but given his asset-hoarding approach, it seems likely.

Heck, if there was ever a time to blow it up, it would have been before last season when we found out we wouldn't have McGrady or Yao. They could have traded off the vets then and gone for the lottery. Instead, they buckled down and actually tried to win. If they didn't try then, no way they ever try.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

he will break up this team when yao has another major injury as we all know yao will retire in this case.

as dm said many times, the team is built around yao, a post thread and defense force under basket. you can't find a capable center to fully utilize this roster. in this sense, he has to blow up this team.

20. dobro1229

Trying to make a move for Kevin Love this early in the season sounds like Morey is at least being aggressive early. Who knows exactly what he was wanting to give up as well. Might have just been picks... might have been Yao( I would guess it would probably have to involve Martin or Brooks and picks IMO).

Regardless, I believe there really isnt any more time to waste. They need at least 50 wins to even make the playoffs. That means this team needs to win 49 out of the next 75 games. This team has shown that it has serious issues and something dramatic might be needed to Kick the coaching staff and the team into gear.