1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At what point do the Stros consider trading Beltran?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SamCassell, Jul 6, 2004.

1. franchise?..NOT

You consider trading Beltran in about 10 years when his hall of fame career is winding down. Just like they need to do with Bags right now.

2. fya

fya Member

What's even worse is Doggy's performance with the Mutts. He looks like his 2001 self again.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With Hidalgo, you have to evaluate his performance over the long haul. he has been incredibly streaky this year. In April, he looked like his 2000 (that was his 44 HR season, not 2001) self. In May and June he looked like his 2001, 2002 self.

4. fya

fya Member

Ok, nevertheless, Doggy is looking like stud right now. The hitting coach should also be fired when they fire Jimy.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Package Beltran with Bagwell, in a salary dump.
    Trade Clemens (with his ok) for prospects.

It's time to tear this sucker down and rebuild.

New lineup
    New coach
    New owner (ok, I can dream, can't I)

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm sure if we packaged Bagwell along with Beltran we could trade them to a contender. I don't think we would get anything back though.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Worthless? Possibly. Done? Definitely. Should retire? Absolutely!

As usual you completely missed my point. My POINT here is that the Astros should be about the business of trying to keep a 5 tool 27 year old player instead of "renting" him for the remainder of this season while keeping Bagwell who's not the answer for the future. Sure his contract is big but there are always ways around that. Instead, what will happen is that they will trade Beltran and keep Bagwell and next year will be a continuation of the past 2 years of watching Bagwell play less and less OK and not be a factor in helping this team's succeed all the while offering the usual legion of excuses why he is really not as bad as he looks.

I truly hate to admit this but they need to take a lesson from the Texas Rangers and go with younger CHEAPER players who can ACTUALLY run, field, catch and most important of all HIT.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Agreed. Can't blame this trainwreck on Drayton. Now Hunsiker, Williams and the coaching staff is a different story altogether...

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Wha???

How is Hunsicker to blame???

Dude is one of the best GMs in baseball.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Sometimes foresight is 20/20.