1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At what point do the Stros consider trading Beltran?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SamCassell, Jul 6, 2004.

1. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Like I said, I think they are done, and their play is backing up my stance on the subject, but we'll have to see how they finish out the month. If they keep up the under .500 ball like they have the past month for the rest of July, then the rebuilding process will be swift.

2. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I don't want to burst your bubble, but based on what I've heard, Beltran is strictly a rental. He wasn't traded to the Astros with some sort of handshake deal to re-sign with the team. He was brought in to help win a championship this year and nothing more.

I'm merely repeating what I was told.

(Now, could management try to resign him after the season ends? Possibly. I honestly don't know. I guess it depends on how he does with us. However, AFAIK, Beltran is not in management's long-term plans this minute.)

3. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

It would be an absolute dream of mine if we were able to convince Beltran to stay in an Astros uniform, but the reality of that is bleak. And don't forget that his agent is Scott Boras, so unless the Astros make an offer that blows the others out of the water or unless there is a small miracle that Carlos wants to play in Houston, I just do not see it happening.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I know who his agent is, and like I said I won't lose sleep over it, but in my opinion if the Astros want him back and they aren't completely out of it by July 31st and he tells you he won't stay, you keep him, see how he likes Houston, and then offer him 15 for 5. This is not A 30 something Randy Johnson who was expected to be towards the end of his career. This a 27 year old five tool superstar looking to be the centerpiece of a winning team and organization, which Houston can easily provide.

The bottom line is regardless what happens this season, I think the Astros need to reload starting next season and with Biggio, Kent, Hidalgo, and Clemens, and possibly Bagwell off the books, they can afford him if they so desire. I'm not saying it's likely, but I think there is a better chance than most think.

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Believe me, I mentioned the thought a number of times in other threads, and I do seriously believe that if the Astros can come up with an incredibly large contract, they've got a shot at keeping Carlos, but I won't be holding my breath in anticipation.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If Biggio continues to hit as he has this year, the Astros ought to pick up his option. At 3 million, a leadoff hitter who hits .300 with 20 HRs is a bargain. His LF defense is very suspect at this time, but he will certainly put in the effort to improve over the offseason.

The Astros are in a position to compete while they rebuild/reload (if rebuilding becomes necessary). It would also be reasonable to try and sign Clemens to another 5 million contract. Regardless of personnel, a staff headed up by Oswalt, Clemens and Pettitte will keep a team competitive.

The Astros have been playing well below expectations but their attendance has been stellar and from watching the games on TV, the crowd has not yet "turned" on them. McLane is smart enough to recognize the sellouts and do all that he can to keep the team competitive and marketable.

As I have posted before, I believe that Bagwell is the key to having Beltran resign with the team. He either needs to start hitting like the Bagwell of old and spur them into the playoffs (thus making it more likely Beltran would stay with a winning team), or he needs to consider a retirement buyout and not subject himself to the pain and skills degradation over the next 2-3 years. Of course, the optimum solution would be to trade him to an AL team for a few prospects.

7. baytownson

baytownson Member

I'm in agreement with most that Beltran is just a rental, however, it is interesting to note that the CF of the future Willy Tavares has been seen playing LF this past week in Round Rock.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

He is recovering from a hip injury.

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I wasn't suggesting to get rid of Biggio or Clemens, I just would rather keep Beltran if I was forced to choose between them for the future. I think they could still afford it if Bags takes one for the team and they let Kent walk. My point is I think the Astros should do everything in their power to try and retain Beltran's services unless he clearly states I don't want to be back.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I agree. I just hope they aren't put into the position to decide between Biggio/Clemens and Beltran. Considering they don't have to pay Dotel and that Miller's 2005 salary is going down with every day he spends on the DL, they have some avenues of cash to spend.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Hear Hear!

This is why the Astros are the "Lastros". Beltran is better than any of the stiffs they are paying good money to leave men on base, score no runs and have closed door meetings on why they suck after losses. THOSE guys will stay on while he's the one who'll be traded. The guy they NEED to let go is Bagwell and that bloated contract (which would allow them to sign Beltran) but they don't have the guts to pull that trigger so next year they'll still be overpaying their no. 6 hitter again and again and again...

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Hillboy, I'm not sure you understand the concept of a guaranteed contract.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

or the difficulty of moving a high-dollar contract of a player you, yourself, claim to be worthless.

14. franchise?..NOT

Again, there is no way you trade a player like Beltran. Even if we are out of it come the TD. Trade Bags, (fat chance), Biggio could help a team the way he is hitting. Kent likewise, trade him. Viscaino, gone. Even Ausmus. But not Beltran. Re-build next year or after July if we're out of it.

15. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

This season sux azz. We are almost in last place in the division and we are getting spoiled Beltran's talent unfortunately Drayton McFrugal won't resign him...but had been white he might.

The Rocket should retire after the All Star break.

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Probably the worst post ever. Sorry if you are being WAY sarcastic, but it's pretty late.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

mcfrugal?? seriously???

anyone who puts the burden of this season on the owner hasn't watched much baseball.

18. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

when the team is losing this forum becomes just as bad as the GARM. What an idiotic post

19. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Seriously. Drayton and Hunzicker cannot be blamed this season. They have done everything they can to get a winning team on the field. The players and manager have completely failed this season and they should be ashamed.

20. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I still have yet to get over that. That is the most weirdest thing I have ever seen. Freaking Prevent Defense don't work for awhole 2quarters of football.