1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AT&T's iPhone 4 drops 2.5 times as many calls as Verizon's

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/06/att_and_verizon_dropped_call_rates/

This bad news for AT&T comes from ChangeWave, self-described as "an independent research boutique", which released the results of its survey of 4,068 smartphone users on Tuesday.

According to ChangeWave, although the overall satisfaction of Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4 users is "virtually indistinguishable" – 82 per cent of the former describe themselves as Very Satisfied versus 80 per cent of the latter – the dropped-call rate for Verizon users is 1.8 per cent, compared with 4.8 per cent of AT&T users.

When ChangeWave first began tracking dropped-call rates back in September 2008, the performance of the two largest wireless carriers was much closer: 2.7 per cent for Verizon versus 3.6 per cent for AT&T.

As the popularity of the iPhone increased and the strain on AT&T's network grew along with it, AT&T's dropped-call rate rose to a peak of 6 per cent in September 2010, when Verizon's rate stood at 1.8 per cent. Since then, both carriers have enjoyed improved dropped-call rates – although Verizon still has a commanding lead, as noted above.

[​IMG]

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What's all this, then? :eek:

Yeah, and I am the Queen of England. :eek:

---------------
    EDIT: I just read the comments... they're funny...

"Your own site said the phone was available from February 3rd: http://www.reghardware.com/2011/02/02/verizon_iphone_orders/
    That is 62 days ago... not 90. How could you therefore accept a report which is doing a 90 day comparison?"

Also, they just asked "did you experience a call dropped in the last 90 days?"

:grin:

#2 SwoLy-D, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I might drop a call every few months or so, sometimes less often than that. Of course, I don't spend every waking minute on the phone, so maybe it's reduced usage that is my advantage.

I would still guess that AT&T has a lot more iPhones draining on the network than Verizon, but I don't know that.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i guess it doesnt factor in the antenna problem that the original iphone4s had that are all on att but not verizon...either way i have had issues with calls on my iphone yes (i am on att) but all these issues are always in poor signal (1-2 bar) areas i cant ever remember gettng a call dropped in a good-excellent signal area

5. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

A positive spin on the Verizon iPhone not being able to multi task while making calls??? hmm....
    AT&T drops calls usually when you go from tower to tower.
    With the acquisition of T-Mobile which now makes them the largest 4G network, I am sure we will see some improvements to the coverage soon.

I was willing to switch to Verizon, but the whole not being able to multi task while on phone calls blows.

6. what

what Member

Just to put this in perspective: ATT has what about 80 million customers/ 100 million, and verizon has similar numbers. 4000 some odd users aren't even a good sample in the city of houston, much less an indication of users in the whole united states. This poll is pretty meaningless in my opinion because it doesn't tell you where they conducted their surveys at. That is the critical piece of information because cellphone companies all have areas that drop more often than they don't. So, if they conduced their poll in a verizon-friendly environment, then the poll isn't accurate of anywhere but there.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don't have a drop call problem with the iphone, or not anymore so than any other phone I've had. I think Verizon has better coverage but I'd feel really weird not being able to multitask while on a call.

8. SunsRocketsfan

biggest thing on verizon is its slow as ****.. out here in San Diego ..ATT is a lot faster than verizon.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

to bad in a year thats totally going to change. LTE> ATT 4G

10. SunsRocketsfan

yup perhaps and i have tried verizons 4G LTE and its pretty fast but it only works in downtown San Diego. Outside of central san diego you get verizons lame slow speeds. Also I'll wait and see how the Network is in a YEAR or two when it actually happens. Right now ATT has faster speeds so saying in a year doesnt really help me does it?

I just hate the new data caps the providers are putting in their plans though. I use way more than 2GB a month.