1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

AT&T 3G Throttling

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketManJosh, Feb 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

So I got a text from AT&T today saying that I am a bandwidth hog and since I am in the top 5% of users, I am going to have my speed throttled. Looked at my usage and I just hit 2GB. Since when is 2GB being a bandwidth hog? Do 95% of people seriously use less than that?

Not real happy with AT&T right now so I am thinking of getting rid of them the first chance I get and I will likely cancel my U-Verse service soon as a result as well.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

lol I use almost 3 1/2 gigs, I don't think my speeds have been throttled, at least not yet anyway.

3. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You probably have the unlimited data plan. The way they're discouraging you from really using it "unlimitedly" is by throttling your speed. And yes, gigs of data is a boatload of data in terms of how much others are using. Everybody else has bandwidth caps (except maybe Sprint?), so threatening to go elsewhere isn't scaring anybody. :) I got the email a couple of weeks ago, too, I think. I listen to streaming radio all day at work, so I've been doing 2-3 gigs for a while now.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

http://thecellphonejunkie.com/2012/...n-users-report-att-throttling-data-after-2gb/

Yup, as other posters are saying. They're throttling those who are grandfathered into those "unlimited" plans and getting away with it since technically they are providing you unlimited data, just at EDGE speeds after 2gb's until your next billing cycle. It sucks :(

They should at least make it 3 gigs, to match their latest plan

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wow. Glad I ditched AT&T for sprint.

Last month I used an insane 17 gigabytes. This month more around 6.

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I just dont see how 2GB is a ton when you can get the 2GB plan for less than I pay for unlimited ... I also think its funny and a lie that the 95% mark is right at 2GB

9. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

ATT trying to screw their customers? That's unpossible!

10. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

It's a good strategy from AT&T. By putting in the 5% of total users, it means people start using less data to avoid throttling, but also means the threshold gets lowered. And then the cycle repeats to the point where the threshold is even lower than the data cap you wanted to avoid in the first place.

If the coverage is good I'd switch to Sprint. Sprint is the least of the evils for now.

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

As a Verizon customer, I agree to an extent. Sprint doesn't have good coverage for data in most places (at least in my experience) but if you live in an area where their EVDO (3G) is bearable. Go for it while you can!

Hopefully Verizon doesn't pull this same crap to it's customers that are grandfathered in. I doubt it though (at least for a while)

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

What about Virgin Mobile? Anyone have experience with them?

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They use the sprint network if that gives you an indication. So if you have good sprint reception in your area then virgin might work for you. I have no idea what types of plans they offer though.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

they throttle. I switched to sprint.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

like someone previously mentioned, they use Sprints network...

I've been on all carriers..now on Virgin Mobile...in my area Sprint sucks..I can't get any calls in my house...the 3G speeds suck, and I mean its pathetic..rarely over 150kbps...

TMobile 4G is very good in my area and I will be switching to the $30 month to month plan...

there are many carriers and many ways to adjust your plan to your liking

here is a list, find something that fit you, these are month to month plans...

1. Straight talk, unlimited everything for $45 - you choose your phone, if its an TMobile phone, you'll be on TMobile's network, if its AT&T, you'll be on theirs and so on...
    http://www.straighttalksim.com/shop.php

2. TMobile $30 a month - Unlim Text, 5GB Data* 4G, 100 Voice Mins
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tmobile-30-Wireless-Airtime-Card/15443357

3. Page Plus - some verizon phones work, DroidX is one of them..google list, best coverage
    The 12 $12/month 250 minutes/250 text/MMS messages/ 10 MB of Data
    Talk n Text 1200 $29.95/month 1,200 minutes/3,000 text/MMS messages/ 100 MB of Data
    Unlimited Talk n Text $39.95/month unlimited minutes/unlimited text/MMS*/ 20 MB of Data
    The 55 $55/month unlimited minutes/unlimited text/MMS*/ 500 MB of Data
    http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plans.aspx

4. Ting - runs on Sprints network, pay for what you use..
    Plan XS S M L XL XXL
    Minutes (Nationwide)
    Minutes beyond XXL are 2¢ 0 100 500 1000 2000 3000
    Cost $0 $3 $9 $18 $35 $52
    Text Messages (Global)
    Messages beyond XXL are 1/4¢ 0 100 1000 2000 4000 6000
    Cost $0 $3 $5 $8 $11 $14
    Megabytes (Nationwide 3G/4G)
    Megabytes beyond XXL are 2.25¢ 0 100 500 1000 2000 3000
    Cost $0 $3 $13 $24 $42 $60

https://ting.com/

Others...Virgin Mobile, Republic Wireless, Boost, Simple Mobile...

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

i am ready to dump ATT also.

I called yesterday because my uverse bill has gone insanely higher..now I gotta find a solution for TV.

When i called she was like do you have cell service with us? I lied and I was like na..she was like do you want to switch to ATT's reliable nationwide network?:rolleyes:

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

what the hell are you guys downloading so much of?

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

2gb isn't really a lot. I get more than that just streaming Google Music on Sprint's 3G. Netflix + 4G = suicide if you aren't on an unlimited plan.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Streaming radio, Pandora, and veetle app.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was just about to switch from AT&T to Sprint. I figured unlimited data on 3 phones with Sprint was expensive but at least efficient compared to buying data per phone with AT&T. But, as I was registering with Sprint, I discovered they want to charge me another $10 per phone for 'premium data' because it's a smartphone. You know, the kind of phone you would get to avail yourself of the unlimited data they sell you in the unlimited data plan. Who the hell would buy an unlimited data plan, and then get a basic phone? I didn't appreciate the bait-and-switch. Besides, I'm old; I wouldn't be a big data user. But another $30 moves their price from competitive to laughable. I could buy a car for what they want to charge me each month for smartphones.

So, I'm done with this scam. I'll get a tablet or something to fill the smartphone role and stick to a cellphone that makes phone calls. Data is BS, texting is BS. Who needs that crap for the price they want?

On a separate note, electricity buyers beware: the new fad seems to be adding a surcharge ($5 or $10) to low-usage electricity bills (say under 1,000 kwhs). In shoulder months, the average residential customer dips below 1,000 kwhs, so a lot of Texas customers are going to be paying these surcharges in the winter. And apartment dwellers will get hit a lot as well. So read your fine print and do some math.