1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At all costs get Lively

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 26, 2023.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He’s slow, unathletic, and averages 5 points a game…..with that said I’d still take him over Amen Thompson. Rockets need to dump that waste of a pick at numbef 4 as this is a BAD draft after the top 3.
    Disagree 100%….his pro day workouts are what will drop him. These scouts will see his awkward shot exposed and trust me you won’t be seeing him hit 3 pointer after 3 pointer like Lively. Simple conecpf for some on this board who can’t seem to get it: NBA PLAYERS NEED TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT A BASKETBALL. Would you want a pilot flying your plane who was great at everything except for flying the plane???

El_Conquistador and DaDakota like this.
  2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

If Scoot or Miller are gone at four I would try to trade 4 and 20 and (KMJ maybe?) for 6 and 11 and take whitemore or Walker and lively

Reason I said kmj is I don’t think Orlando would want this deal to get amen

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He’s slow, unathletic, and averages 5 points a game…..with that said I’d still take him over Amen Thompson. Rockets need to dump that waste of a pick at numbef 4 as this is a BAD draft after the top 3.
    Disagree 100%….his pro day workouts are what will drop him. These scouts will see his awkward shot exposed and trust me you won’t be seeing him hit 3 pointer after 3 pointer like Lively. Simple conecpf for some on this board who can’t seem to get it: NBA PLAYERS NEED TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT A BASKETBALL. Would you want a pilot flying your plane who was great at everything except for flying the plane???
    Really? Here is his NBA Draft.net description:
    Just 5.2 ppg in his freshman season on 15% from 3 and 60% FT shooter, not exactly numbers that instill confidence about his ability to contribute much offensively during his rookie contract … Doesn’t have the greatest lateral quickness, but can switch on screens on the perimeter … He may struggle to stay on the floor at the end of games when teams look to mismatch him with pick and pop shooters … Didn’t show much in his freshman season as a back to the basket scorer with a rarely utilized hook shot and a lean frame … Still needs to fill out and put on muscle … Failed to earn consistent minutes early in the season and often found himself in foul trouble when he did get into the game … Averaged 2.7 fouls in just 20 minutes per game showing his struggles to stay on the court … Gets displaced under the basket often because of his lack of strength … Extremely low free-throw rate for someone with such a size advantage over his opponents with just one attempt per game … Only shot 60% in those attempts … Didn’t dominate as much as he should have on the glass with just five rebounds per game, but it’s hard to imagine those numbers not improving in time as he adds strength … Lack of rebounding brings up some toughness questions, so teams will obviously need to feel comfortable with this element of his game and that he can improve it … Feel for the game a work in progress … Not always that great at anticipating plays on the offensive end, can get better with his hands, catching the ball cleanly.
    Agree DD that he looked great in a snipet, but he has a resume of a full season of college bball that pretty much sucked by most accounts. There are better options at number 20 for us. We need to trade this year’s picks for next year picks as this is the weakest draft in memory after the top three picks. Grady Dick is about the only guy I could see making an impact for us immediately (as a sharp shooter).

Jayzers_100, payaso and No Worries like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

DaDakota likes this.
  5. invocux

invocux Member

Anyone can shoot in practice.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Scripted or not defensive big man with stretch is a valuable commodity for any team.

Drift Monkey and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I disagree - what if it's a Filipino league team?

6-5 height limit

Proof is in the hot dog

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Even if 6'5 in the height limit stretch still a valuable commodity even in PH.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree with you but I think 4 and KMJ should get it done.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lively is the rim protecting big we need, and he compliments the team better than anyone else we can get outside of Wemby.

We don't need Amen, we don't need Henderson, we need guys that compliment our core......

DD

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a midget league then.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Because we have a proven young star who has already made All-NBA and a well-rounded roster that already made the play-in and we're ready to put the finishing touches on our rebuild and try to make it deep into the playoffs and from there who knows what could happen, the sky's the limit...

...oh wait. That's OKC. We actually don't have those things. My bad.

HD729 and No Worries like this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

Went from trading the pick to drafting Lively at 4 :eek:

clutchdabear, OremLK and No Worries like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

DD Rockets Talk!

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Indiana got worse. Sacramento got better.

HD729 likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree totally.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The problem is that you see KPJ as our core. Scoot definitely compliments our core, which is Sengun, Green, and Jabari.

Arnel, peleincubus, OremLK and 2 others like this.
  18. DaDakota

Yep that is right we have 2 proven up and coming stars in Jalen and KPJ and Bari and Sengun are looking likely as well.

Welcome aboard the truth train.

Sorry that the truth bothers you so much - but that is what the org sees and thinks as well.....get on board, or get run over.

From NBA Draft Scouting report on Lively:

On the defensive side of the ball, the 7-footer is incredible. He’s a great rim protector that has natural feel and good instincts as it relates to blocking shots. He can truly change the game on the defensive end, which we saw numerous times during his freshman season.

He’s arguably the best defender in this class as a rim protector, but there are things he can still improve upon. Most notably, due to his slender frame Lively struggles one-one-one against bigger, more physical centers. He’ll need to get stronger this season before making the jump to the NBA.

On the flip side, he’s special relative to true centers as it relates to defending smaller guys on the perimeter. It’s pretty rare to see a 7-footer that isn’t a liability taking on guards that far from the rim. Lively’s ability to defend outside of the paint allows his team to switch anything.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospe...ii#gid=ci02ab120e7005262e&pid=usatsi_19409451

DD

Arnel and Y2JT like this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Why have a guard play with Green and Jabari that can process the game of basketball with any modicum of pace and efficiency when you can just have KPJ?

Arnel, clutchdabear and OremLK like this.
  20. DaDakota

Who does all of that very well and is an efficient scorer too.....but this thread is about Lively, not your hatred of a Rocket's player called KPJ, please try to keep up.

DD