1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astroworldish] Six Flags Declares Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

PGab

I agree
    Video Games etc won't replace a REAL RIDe

I miss Astroworld
    and was kind of bugged that they closed down before my son
    was old enough for the 'real rides'

they were dead to me!

Rocket River

2. WillG

WillG Member

Disneyland sucks and its more expensive than six flags.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

:rolleyes: show me how.

besides the price of admission for one day, how can you save money spending a day at Six Flags than at Disney?

I just gave you a laundry list of astronomical prices at Six Flags, with Disney's counterpart either free or half as expensive in some categories, especially the concessions.

for the kids and families, no one wants a run down, dirty park filled with rude teenagers not only frequenting the park, but working there too.

4. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I like rides..but honestly at my age if I am gonna pay big bucks then wait around 2 hours for 4 minutes of fun. I want it to be sex :D

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Indeed, and it's not your fault! :p

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Disneyland is perfect for younger kids who can't do the scary rides.

7. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I think the same thing every time I see that commercial. I could just imagine Uncle June dancing and then getting pissed at some kid for getting in his way... :)

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Hopefully Shapiro is right by saying relieving that amount of debt in this climate is enough for them to continue to improve, and not miss a beat. That said, there's a lot of unhappy investors, I'm guessing, but perhaps they've all come to an agreement that keeps SixFlags' reputation up and can produce a business plan that is still somehow attractive to investors and guests alike.

AstroWorld was one of the first concessions of the fact that they had a lot of debt, and owned a lot of land that had increased in value at the time. Problem is, even after more situations like that realized, the economy kept them from rebounding with those preliminary maneuvers. Lotta that going around, unfortunately.

I miss AstroWorld and am a bit bummed that my kid will never see it, but business is business. Hopefully they can keep the parks they've got and improve upon the guest experience with the new business model and the relieved financial burden.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

are we talking DisneyLand in California, or DisneyWorld in florida.

for my money there is no comparison to six flags with either.

but DisneyWorld isn't some place you go for a day to do all the rides. it's a place you go for 5 days to fit in 4 theme parks. there are great restaurants throughout the parks and the hotels that are connected to the parks by different forms of transportation.

comparing that to six flags is a joke.

1 person likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that's what I was saying when I was at Fiesta Texas, I just don't have the patience anymore to wait in line for a 5 minute roller coaster ride.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I've been to several actually...

- Fiesta Texas in SA

- Water World in CO

- Six Flags here in Houston

- Splashtown here in Houston

- And, I don't know the name of this one waterpark, but it's in Florida, it won something...

The thing I love about Splashtown is the great rides that they have, each water park has their own compliment of great rides, and I have to say Master Blaster has to top any water park's top ride... it's so fun and soaking... the only problem is, the line can take up to an hour... so you're basically only going to go once unless you really want to waste your time. We usually live at the Bahn (and I'm talking about the main one in New Braunfels) for a weekend sometimes until Monday or Tuesday almost each summer. It's pretty fun, they have great prices, it's just a great experience that I feel can't be had better at any other water park. Splashtown was what we used to go to ever summer before Schlitterbahn had opened. I gotta say though, Splashtown's wave pool, it can't be beat, I like Schlitterbahn's since it's circular and everything, but the waves aren't nearly as big as Splashtown's. :)

12. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Astroworld was a constant thing in my childhood. I LOVED going there and would bug mom to take me there all the times until she got me a season pass. Wow, I'm sad at this.

13. Fatty FatBastard

Hispanic?

(sorry, couldn't help myself.)

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've only been to Disney World and that was many years ago, and AstroWorld, Six Flags over Georgia, Six Flags Whitewater, & the Six Flags in Denver. I don't recall the prices for things inside the park to be that expensive, and it is a lot cheaper to go to Six Flags due to all the discounts you can get. Six Flags alone is cheaper due to travel expenses.

No question that Disney is a way better place for the whole family. I have zero desire to go to Six Flags at this point, but would love to go back to Disney World and will once my son is old enough to do more.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm talking a day at Disneyland vs. a day at Six Flags. I'm also comparing the parks from a local's perspective, not a tourist's.

Take out travel expenses and cost of entry to the park.

I have always been a theme park enthusiast, had a an Astroworld Season Pass as a teenager, and have visited DisneyWorld as an adult (only one park in one day) and Disneyland/California Adventure as a weekend getaway and as a group leader. I have taken groups to California Adventure twice in the last year.

Hands down, the Disney experience is cheaper for an entire day of entertainment.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You probably do know better than me. Like I said it has been many years since I've been to either, not to mention that I know between Six Flags Elitch Gardens(No longer Six Flags) and Six Flags over Georgia there was a big difference. Elitch Gardens was more like a fair, and was cheaper, especially when you consider the value of a dollar in Denver vs GA.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Just got back from Splashtown.

It was fun. Schlitterbahn would have been way better. It feels so small compared to Schlit. I was thinking how busy it would be on a weekend.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Little Knotts Berry Farm Park still profits but not Six Flags? I know the Knotts company sells popular food products and its not all park money for them. But Astroworld which was a low end Six Flags killed Knotts in overall offerings. I'd assume there's been some Six Flags mismanagement, but maybe a smaller park is just easier to run?

Disneyland is cute clean classic enjoyment for young kids and parents. Though I see in-between people like video gamers going more the higher thrill Six Flags way, cuz Disney can be pretty kiddy-fied. Me last time going to Disneyland felt like my mom throwing me a bachelor party at Chuck E Cheese or something.

BUT, years later I do really appreciate Disneyland now for what it is. There's just such a gosh darn sweet, heartwarming, cuddly environment there, that besides maybe an NBA Finals in the Toyota Center I really cant of another place to challenge it as the Happiest Place on Earth.