1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros vs. White Sox - 2005 payrolls

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Surfguy, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Rank Team Total Payroll
    1 New York Yankees $208,306,817
    2 Boston Red Sox $123,505,125
    3 New York Mets $101,305,821
    4 Los Angeles Angels $97,725,322
    5 Philadelphia Phillies $95,522,000
    6 St. Louis Cardinals $92,106,833
    7 San Francisco Giants $90,199,500
    8 Seattle Mariners $87,754,334
    9 Chicago Cubs $87,032,933
    10 Atlanta Braves $86,457,302
    11 Los Angeles Dodgers $83,039,000
    12 Houston Astros $76,779,000
    13 Chicago White Sox $75,178,000

Ironic that we beat the 92 million dollar Cards and 86 million dollar Braves but lost to the minus million dollars and change White Sox. The Cubs and Mets payrolls...I just have to laugh at.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

If Roger is indeed done, it'll be interesting to see what happens to our payroll next season. I'm hopeful, but I can't help but be afraid that Drayton will try to cash in on our post-season success.

3. Major

Major Member

In our history under Drayton, what makes you think that?

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

According to 610, both Lance and Pettite's salary's take a huge jump next year (Berkman $14MIL and Pettie $17.5MIL).

Just between Biggio, Oswalt, Pettite, Bagwell, Berkman, our payroll is something like $65 MIL. Doesn't include Clemens, who will get at least what he got this year ($18 MIL).

Unless Bagwell retires, I don't see any big FA signings.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That's what everyone said 1 year ago! :p

Now look where we went. Everyone was sayingthat when we started out 15-30. :)

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I read in the Chronicle today that Drayton is gonna make the payroll for '06 around 82-83 million. That's a positive sign.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, it is. I hope it's true. I really believe Bags will retire. Had he had a sucessful Series as DH and pinch hitter, then I'd predict a comeback attempt. With how it played out, I just don't see him as a player again. I hope he finds a way to work with the team. That would be outstanding.

Interesting topic!

8. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

I think Bagwell is probably embarassed about how the series played out for him. And he should be- he looked completely overmatched. I don't particularly blame him- what else would you expect, since he hadn't had many meaningful AB's in so long. So I actually think he'll be coming back next year with "something to prove". I hope he succeeds.

Either that or, if he's not satisfied with his progress, I hope he can come to terms with it and retire without letting the badness of the series loss get to him.

9. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Hopefully, he'll learn sooner rather than later, so we can at least sign a FA if he doesn't come back and his contract is paid by Insurance.

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I wouldn't bet on it:

Bagwell to resume rehab

HOUSTON -- Following the Houston Astros' Game 4 loss that sealed a World Series sweep by the White Sox on Wednesday, Jeff Bagwell was asked when he will resume rehabbing his right shoulder.

"Friday," he responded.

Bagwell has no time to waste as he begins the process of strengthening the shoulder, which he hopes will lead to being able to throw effectively. He postponed his throwing program throughout the playoffs, because he did not want to risk irritating his shoulder, which could have thwarted his ability to pinch-hit.

Now that the season is over, it's back to work for the veteran first baseman.

"I have no time to wait around," Bagwell said. "I have to start my throwing program so I can try to play again next year."

Bagwell, who had capsular release surgery in June, sped up his rehab so he could rejoin his club during its September stretch run. He had several good at-bats as a pinch-hitter, and he is confident that the offensive side of his game is up to par.

Defense is the big question, and in the coming weeks, Bagwell will begin the process of figuring out whether will be able to build up his arm to the point where he can throw a ball 90 feet through the infield. If he can't, he'll have some decisions to make.

"I know I can hit again," he said. "I know that for sure. Everyday, I'm getting stronger and stronger when I hit. I need to be able to throw. There's no DH over here [in the National League]. Now it's just a matter of if I can throw and hit. I'm going to find out."

Bagwell is signed through 2006, with a club option for 2007. The organization is hopeful that he will be able to fulfill the final year of his contract, but as Bagwell indicated, time will tell.

Either way, general manager Tim Purpura has made it clear Bagwell will always have a place in the organization, even if he can't play next year.

"As a future member of this organization, I would say he's got a bright future," Purpura said. "He's a guy that I'd like to keep in the development program. But I'm not by any stretch writing him off. We'll have to see what the winter brings."

Someday, Purpura would like to form a "Bagwell Elite Hitters Camp," similar to the Nolan Ryan Elite Pitchers Camp the club started last January. The Astros brought in their top pitching prospects, plus a handful of young Major Leaguers, to participate in a weeklong camp conducted by Ryan, who is in the midst of a five-year personal services contract with the Astros.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So we are #12 in payroll and #2 in the end...I will take that any time!

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

With the jump in salary that Berkman and Pettitte are getting, there's nothing positive about that...unless of course, Bags retires.

13. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

The Astros roster doesn't need an overhaul, it just needs a little tweeking. The Astros just went to the World Series in what I would call almost a rebuilding year, transitional at least. Room for improvement still, yes.