1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade rumor

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ElGrandeQueso, Jul 24, 2002.

1. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

I'll start out by saying I have nothing to back this up with so that's why I'll call it a rumor. A friend of mine who works in the organization told me that the Astros and Tampa Bay Devil Rays have agreed in principle on a deal that would send Tampa Bay OF Randy Winn and P Paul Wilson to the Stros for Daryle Ward, a minor leaguer pitcher(Kirk Saarloos possibly), and something around $3 Million. It appears the team is ready to give up on Ward, and Winn would really solidify the outfield as he is a true CF. The hitch? Apparently Sir Drayton is skeptical on the team's playoff chances and is nixing any deals until there is more certainty on the finality of the season or the Astros make a big push. My argument would be that $3 mil isn't that much out of who knows how many billion and Winn and Wilson make next to nothing. It would appear to be a good deal for the team under any circumstance. Anyways, if the Stros can get on a hot streak, keep your eyes open for this one.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

I'm not sure I like this deal,

No offense to Randy Winn, but I'm far from sold on him. The guy is having a career year in a no pressure situation.

I do however like getting Paul Wilson as he is underrated in Tampa.

But not at the expense of a really good minor leaguer. If its a guy lesser in our system(Not saarloos, lane, buck, maybe rosario) sure I do it.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Anybody is an upgrade over Ward in the outfield.

I wish we'd go after Byrd too.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

True, but at the same time, he has played in TB his whole career. He has never had any protection in the lineup. This year, players around him have stepped it up a notch, and his numbers have improved.

5. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

I think this is a great trade for the Astros.

6. Refman

Refman Member

Well saidf rezdawg, I couldn't agree more.

My understanding is that we have been in contact with KC regarding Paul Byrd. Perhaps we'll do both deals.

Rotation:
    1) Wade Miller
    2) Roy Oswalt
    3) Paul Byrd
    4) Paul Wilson
    5) Pete Munro

This is at least until Carlos Hernandez comes back. At that point we can see who has been better, Wilson or Munro. One of the two would become our long reliever and Redding goes back to AAA.

You'd likely have to include Richard Hidalgo in the Byrd deal. We could have the following outfield alignment:
    LF Lance Berkman
    CF Randy Winn
    RF Orlando Merced

We could also bring up Jason Lane as a 4th outfielder. This would give him the chance to get the major league ABs he needs and deserves.

7. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Member

If this deal is done...Winn bats leadoff and he's a CF. Kills two birds with one stone. Woohoo!

So where do we bat Lugo? 7th? Lugo and Ausmus (with his new heavy bat) might be a decent 7-8 combo.

8. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

If this trade goes down, I don't see the Astros making any other move.

9. Major

Major Member

Anything that gets Ward and/or Hildago out of the lineup is a good trade. :( If we get a real live centerfielder in the process, then its a great deal! :)

10. Timing

Timing Member

I don't see this. The Astros won't even spend the $3million allocated to sign their draft picks. Plus on Winn, he's not a burner and I read that he's only adequate in the field. We might as well just promote whoever's playing center in the minors instead of trading for a guy who's stock has never been higher and may never be this high again.

11. Refman

Refman Member

Winn is hitting .315, and is a lifetime .281 hitter for a team with no protection in the lineup. If he's adequate in the field and will hit .300 or close to it, I say ship Fat Ward and 10 dozen donuts to TB for Winn.

12. eric.81

eric.81 Member

I think the Astros HAVE to make this deal.

With MM Park's expansive outfield, the current outfield of Ward, Berkman, and Hidalgo are WAY too slow. Despite Berkman's rediculously good catch on the hill in center (we've all seen it about 50 times by now on SportsCenter) he's not a true center fielder and if Ward had more than like 5 home runs by now, I would be singing a different tune.

Moving Hidalgo to the tricky MM Park left field will be great too. With his super powered arm and that short fence, he'll be throwing out runners left and right. Currently that's Ward's spot becuase it involves the least amount of running (obviously Ward's biggest weakness). It would be nearly impossible to tag up on a sac fly to left with the Cannon that is Hidalgo roaming left.

Winn gives us a true leadoff man and with Biggio and Berkman hitting behind him, his average SHOULD improve. I think this deal will help the team tremendously. Going into the season we needed more lefties in the lineup, a true leadoff man, and a true CF and Winn gives us all of those things with his .315 average as icing on the cake. Please Drayton... PULL THE TRIGGER!!!

13. Major

Major Member

We might as well just promote whoever's playing center in the minors

We already tried this strategy with Ensberg and Everett. Assuming that a minor leaguer can just come in and produce isn't a good strategy unless they are a top-of-the-line prospect like a Berkman. Others take him time to develop into something. Winn may be that player that's finally developing.

Sure, you may get lucky sometimes (Pujols, for example), but relying on it is a bad idea. This team really, really needs a legit centerfielder (or at least a real-life left-fielder if Berkman stays in center). If you can find one that hits for a decent average, I say go for it.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

In my opinion, Winn is something the Astros need. He is a true leadoff man. That is something that is lacking in this current team. He hits for average and gets on base. He is also a threat on the bases. If he can get on, the players after him can get him home. He is also a true center fielder. Berkman has done a great job out there, but would benefit more from playing right field.

15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

That would be awesome if after we make this deal, the D'Rays get contracted and we pick DW right back up in the contraction draft!

I can always dream can't I?:D

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why would you want DW back?

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I am surprised by the lack of patience people show with Daryle Ward. I mean, the guy is definitely having a down season, and many expected far more from him, but it is still just ONE season. This is his first major league season playing full time, and it is a poor one. But it was not that long ago that he hit something like 20 homeruns without getting consistent ABs. The guy was lauded as one of our team's best young hitters for years, and the team held back on trading him many times because they thought he was going to be one hell of a hitter. I think it is WAY too early to give up on a guy like that. People keep saying we need a true CF, or a at least a better LF if we keep Lance in CF. Well, I say that if Ward were hitting like we all hoped he could, then his defense would be no problem for most on this board.

Give him time. Hell, this of all seasons seems like a poor one to overreact and trade a potentially great young hitter...odds are the players will strike and this will just be one looooooong spring training.

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

I'm not at all saying we don't need a true CF.

But Randy Winn is having a career year. Also, factor in for a guy with a .310 BA his OBP is only an adequate .363 you better bet I'm skeptical.

I want the astros to improve, and Winn would be a fine fit, but at the right price.

I think Ward, and a very good minor leaguer and cash is a bit too much for these two veterans.

Not that I enjoy Daryle in LF anymore than the rest of you. But use those prospects to get a Scott Rolen type player, not Randy Winn.

I completely understand Tampa's perspective: They would get a young, power hitting, lefty dh/1b, a very good prospect and money. That's called cashing in on Winn's first and likely only all star appearance.

Let someone else be the sucker, not us. If the cost is not a top minor leaguer with Ward I don't mind.

#18 DVauthrin, Jul 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2002
  19. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Do we even need to give the Devil Rays any major leaguers or could we just toss them a few minor league players?

20. Timing

Timing Member

Not only that but the DRays just called up Carl Crawford who's one of the best prospects in all of baseball and of course he plays centerfield so Winn is expendable. They're just looking to dump Winn while his value is as high as it will likely ever be.

Also if you look at Winn's numbers this year he's hitting like .350 on turf and .250 on grass.