1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. HTM

HTM Member

You guys hear the Cubs called Detroit about a Fulmer for Schwarber swap? Seems like a super bad deal for Detroit... like incredibly insulting to their intelligence bad.

2. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I read that Schwarber was the centerpiece along with a couple other minor leaguers. The Detroit GM is in a fantasy world thinking he can get good prospects for Verlander, and claims that they won't listen to deals for Fulmer. Fulmer is probably the only guy on that team that would return a haul of high end prospects. And Detroit needs a haul of high end prospects, they are going to be bad for a very long time. Massive rebuild in front of them, hampered by some epicly bad contracts to Cabrera, Zimmerman, Upton and Verlander (although Verlander only has two more years left, he's still owed close to $70M).

3. the shark

the shark Member

Joe Joe, I'm not endorsing Hand as the guy to go after, just that they need to bring one in if possible. Agree with sealclubber on not having to give up a top prospect in order to do so. Don't know what other possibilities are out there. Will be interesting to see what moves Luhnow makes by the trade deadline (if any).

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Luhnow is making deals at the deadline, if the Astros are serious about winning a WS. They will have too.

5. HTM

HTM Member

Fulmer is an ace who has 6 more years of control.... does the Chicago system realistically have the prospect to acquire that? giving up an ace with 6 years of control.... dunno that I've ever seen that..... the haul would have to be ridiculous.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Schwarber and TWO Chicago style hot dogs...

7. HTM

HTM Member

Just seems like in terms of baseball currency Schwarber would be a lot less valuable than Fulmer.

kaleidosky likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So three Chicago style hot dogs?

msn and noscrusir like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Another? We have an effective lefty reliever?

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That 110 win pace is despite them, not because of them.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Certainly not on the field..... but this was a too young team in 2015 that didn't know how to win on the road.

Several of the players have cited veteran leadership/guidance as a key factor for this year. Hell, Beltran teaching them to steal signs from 2nd may be worth it in and of itself.... in fact, not sure why some really advanced scouts can't pick up on the sign tendencies from any/all pitchers when runners are on, and crack their code patterns!

I knew there was a reason why Luhnow was pillaging the NSA and offering them front office jobs.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Beltran could be just (nearly) as effective as a bench coach in the role of veteran leadership. Obviously, he wanted to play though. Maybe next year?

LonghornFan likes this.
  13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

16 million dollar bench coach. God, fml. I must have been a rather large pos in my previous life.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jon Singleton career numbers match up well with Beltran this year. Singleton sucks. Veteran leadership doesn't help Beltran when he's in the box

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I can't say that for sure. Otherwise this is mostly the same group from a year ago.

16. msn

msn Member

But there's no such thing as... Nevermind, bad joke. /duckingtomatoes :cool:

17. the shark

the shark Member

Yeah my bad. Meant to say an effective lefty not "another".

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Most of the improvement over last year IS from the same guys. If your saying Beltran and Aoki helped make the guys from last year better, that probably has some truth to it.

19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Reddick and McCann have been very integral in our success.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I agree. I didnt mention them because JS and I were talking about Beltran and Aoki in another context.