1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

It would have to be Craig kimbrel, not a situational lefty.
    Luhnow would get fired before the ink dried if he did this.

2. ZeroPoint

ZeroPoint Member

I guess then you don't know what it will take be to get an all star/really good major league left handed reliever. Brad Hand is more than a LOOGY too. He gets both righties and lefties out. Padres asking price is high. That's the market today. Just look at the recent transactions in the past few years for them. See Chapman and Andrew Miller trades. Certainly the cost will not be as high but it's still will be costly. Franklin Perez would most likely be a headliner if that happened. Franklin Perez is in the lower minors with some uncertainties of his own. Not a ridiculous notion to believe he would be traded for a major league all star reliever.

3. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

You can't remotely compare Chapman and Miller with hand.
    Look at what the angels gave up in 2014 for joe Thatcher.
    That's a more apt comparison.
    If we could get the 34th best propsect in baseball for solid relievers, I'd be in favor of trading will Harris tomorrow.

4. Buck Turgidson

Nope.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would you give up Martes and Cameron for Osuna?

Would you give up Tucker, F Perez, and Moran for Stroman?

Not saying I would be thrilled with giving up that much but I think that's probably what it would take and I'd be ok with it.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Well f**k then.

Luhnow should have lost his job for not trading Tony Sipp back in 2015. We could have that 3rd ace in the rotation already.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

A bunch of names though nothing Astros specific.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...de-deadline/H7rT7VBLdcVwpSAnZGb41M/story.html

MIAMI:
    Everyone will be available, including the attractive outfield of Christian Yelich, Marcell Ozuna, and Giancarlo Stanton, as well as second baseman Dee Gordon, power-hitting first baseman Justin Bour, third baseman Martin Prado, and starting pitchers Edinson Volquez and Dan Straily. The Marlins have received a lot of interest in relievers AJ Ramos and David Phelps.

TORONTO:
    The big name here is third baseman Josh Donaldson, who would bring the biggest haul. But would it happen before the trade deadline? All-Star first baseman Justin Smoak, second baseman Devon Travis (if healthy), DH Kendrys Morales, shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, right fielder Jose Bautista, and starters Marco Estrada and J.A. Happ seem to be the most likely to be dealt. And if you’re rebuilding, why the need for young closer Roberto Osuna?

CHICAGO:
    Everyone on the White Sox has been available for a while, but so far the veterans remain in place. One would think closer David Robertson would be an attractive piece for a contending team such as Washington. But Chicago also wants to move third baseman Todd Frazier, right fielder Avisail Garcia, first baseman Jose Abreu, left fielder Melky Cabrera, and starters Jose Quintana, Derek Holland, and James Shields. The White Sox, who traded Chris Sale and Adam Eaton last offseason, have not been able to get the package they’re seeking for Quintana, who has been pitching well after a poor start.

DETROIT:
    The Tigers would love for a team like the Dodgers to come along and take their veterans. The most desirable would be right fielder J.D. Martinez. But the Tigers would be open to making a creative deal for Justin Verlander and are willing to take on some of the salary. If anyone wants Jordan Zimmermann, he’s yours. Ian Kinsler, anyone? Shortstop Jose Iglesias, catcher Alex Avila, and lefty reliever Justin Wilson are attractive to other teams.

ATLANTA:
    Lefty Jaime Garcia will have a market, as will first baseman Matt Adams, left fielder Matt Kemp, and right fielder Nick Markakis. There’s lots of interest in Julio Teheran, too.

SAN FRANCISCO:
    Other than Buster Posey, the Giants are open to any deals that might include third baseman Eduardo Nunez, right fielder Hunter Pence, shortstop Brandon Crawford, first baseman Brandon Belt, second baseman Joe Panik, starters Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija, and closer Mark Melancon. Belt and Panik will be hard to get.

PITTSBURGH:
    Andrew McCutchen and Gerrit Cole are the Pirates’ most attractive pieces, and they should be listening. It doesn’t appear they can sign Cole long term when he becomes a free agent after next season. Second baseman Josh Harrison, third baseman David Freese, and first baseman/outfielder John Jaso are useful and productive players.

OAKLAND:
    With good, young position players and pitchers coming up, the A’s will be looking to get maximum return on pitcher Sonny Gray. The A’s have a few relievers — lefty Sean Doolittle, righty Ryan Madson — that have generated interest. Switch-hitter Jed Lowrie, capable of playing second and third, will have an audience. First baseman Yonder Alonso is drawing interest.

BALTIMORE:
    Just what are the Orioles up to? Since their owners won’t make a financial commitment to acquire the pitching they need, they might as well sell off. Adam Jones has 10/5 status so he may not want to move, but he’d be an excellent veteran leader for some team. It appears the Orioles will go the distance with Manny Machado (free agent in 2019).

NEW YORK:
    The Mets are having a disastrous season and they’d like to get something for their pain. Reliever Addison Reed, infielder Jose Reyes, outfielders Curtis Granderson and Jay Bruce, and first baseman Lucas Duda are among those the Mets would deal.

CINCINNATI:
    The Reds have to decide what to do with shortstop Zack Cozart, a fine player, but the market for shortstops isn’t good. Righty Scott Feldman will also be in demand.

SAN DIEGO:
    The Padres have a few players — infielder Yangervis Solarte (currently on DL), lefty reliever Brad Hand, and starter Trevor Cahill — who would be attractive to teams.

PHILADELPHIA:
    First baseman Tommy Joseph is likely available because prospect Rhys Hoskins will take over the position next season, if not this year. Third baseman Maikel Franco, starter Jeremy Hellickson, and reliever Joaquin Benoit will be available. They also have an eye on setting up for the future, which is why acquiring Stanton and Yelich from Miami isn’t out of the question.

1. Alex Cobb, RHP, Rays — There’s a feeling among baseball people that the Rays would seek to move Cobb at the deadline because he’ll be a free agent at the end of the season. Cobb was 6-6 with a 4.01 ERA entering his scheduled start Saturday. But one Rays official said, “If we’re in it, I don’t think Alex Cobb is going anywhere.”

8. Buck Turgidson

"It’s probably the most challenging thing that any general manager has to grapple with. There is no right answer," Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow says in an interview. "We’ve seen clubs that have gone all-in and used all of their future currency to have a better chance to win this year and sometimes that works. Sometimes you pay the price next year, or the year after. We’re going to try to thread the needle and do both. We want to win now, for sure, and we’re going to do whatever it takes to win now. But at the same time, we’ve been building up all this currency, all these players in the pipeline so that we could be good for a long time. The Braves showed that they can do it for a decade plus. I don’t know if we’re going to be able to do that, but I certainly want it to be more than a three- or four-year run."
    "We’re in an advantageous position that it is highly likely, unless we have some sort of catastrophic collapse, we’re going to be in the post-season and you really can start focusing on what does this team need to look like to face the Cleveland Indians in a seven-game series, to face the Boston Red Sox in a seven-game series, do we match up well," says Luhnow. "We won only one game against Cleveland this year and lost five. They’ve got our number right now. What is it that we need to do in a seven-game series to match up with them better? It’s certainly something we think about. The solutions aren’t easy. The players you need to put on your roster to help you in that situation are few and far between and they cost a fortune to acquire. But it’s certainly something you have to think about."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Franklin Perez is the 34th best prospect in baseball? WHAT WHAT WHAT. I'm not going to bother even looking that up cause it seems way off.

I'd be fine with Perez as the centerpiece for a Hand deal

10. Major

Major Member

Is he really an upgrade? Sipp now has identical numbers against lefties to Hand this year, and that's despite his really poor start against them early in the season. Sipp also has playoff experience from 2015 and was outstanding then (1 hit in 12 ABs).

11. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

12. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

In the mid season baseball prospectus listz which does not include recent draftees or guys in the majors, that's where perez is ranked.
    He is probably firmly in the top 60 I would guess as a consensus.
    Luhnow would be run out of town for trading anyone like that for hand

13. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I've come to the conclusion that unless it's for an ace, I don't want to trade any of our top prospects.

14. AUstrofan

AUstrofan Member

I don't know what to think. It really depends on how serious Keuchel's injury is. Too much of our starting pitching is dealing with recurring injuries, and as careful as they're being with Keuchel...I wonder how much we'll get out of him this season. If he comes back on the same level he started in good time, we look to be in pretty good shape. But if he doesn't, we're left with Morton and McCullers who both have struggled to stay healthy, Fiers who has been inconsistent and a lot of young players still finding their game. Who knows what McHugh will offer when he returns. I don't see how they don't go after some addition to the rotation and that will come at a price, regardless. I'm sure Luhnow will go after the best value, in any event.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Bregs got weird, seeking out a tweeter and DMing him about the prospect of being traded.

edit: it got taken down. I wonder if his account got hacked, someone asked him to take it down, .. never mind, the guy deleted his account.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  16. HTM

HTM Member

Sorry I don't really understand what happened?

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Sorry, I know I was unclear. The account was deleted. But here are screencaps someone else saved (this is not the guy who was initially communicating w/Bregs). Again, these were DMs that were unsolicited...he says Bregman searched tweets and reached out unprompted.

HTM likes this.
  18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

My neighbor's baby's soiled diaper.

19. Nook

Nook Member

You don't follow minor league baseball much, I take it?

20. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

We are 2-7 vs. Boston and Cleveland and haven't faced Sale or Carrasco.

I'm floored that so many people think we should stay pat.