1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Fixed...

The Beard likes this.
  2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If we get Verlander does this mean we'll see Kate Upton at games?

kaleidosky likes this.
  3. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

They want to compete next year and that most likely means keeping deGrom to pair with Syndergaard at the top of the rotation. Harvey has cratered due to attitude and injury issues and guys like Matz and Wheeler are always hurt. Most I can see them doing at the deadline is trading free agents to be like Bruce, Duda, and Walker if healthy.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree, which is why I said they would have to get a really big offer

I bet if we offered Bregman, Martes, and Tucker they would trade him

I would not do that, just saying he could be had without major damage to our core, if we wanted to go that way

5. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Possibly. I'm sure the Mets would really like Bregman at second with their stud prospect Amed Rosario at SS next year. That'd be a nice and young middle infield. I like deGrom a lot but not sure I'd do that kind of package for him. His injury issues last season worry me (I think he had an elbow surgery?). Archer is really the only one who has been consistently good/durable and it'd be easier to swallow giving up that package for him but he's not available. I like Gray and Quintana even with their issues and hopefully one of them can be had for lesser prospects than guys like Tucker and Whitley.

6. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Gray with a nice game tonight.

8 ip, 2 h, 1 er, 1 bb, 4 so

ERA and WHIP down to 4.09 and 1.24 respectively

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Where are all the juicy rumors?

The juicy rumors. I need them.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think we should trade for Kate Upton. It is a bonus if Verlander follows.

The Real Shady likes this.
  10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

2 more weeks and the rumor mill will be on fire, my friend.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  11. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/new...jays-marcus-stroman/ihapa4a71lsj1eaedb0aeguli

The Blue Jays roster is dwindling. Troy Tulowitzki and Jose Bautista are both showing their age, Josh Donaldson isn't getting any younger and they lost Edwin Encarnacion last season which was a significant shot to their once potent lineup.

This current roster is not going to win a championship, and the addition of one piece at the trade deadline probably doesn't change that. So it's not suprising when ESPN's Buster Olney said the Blue Jays are considering blowing up their roster.

And while they are considering rebuilding they are also considering who they'd be willing to trade, or maybe in this case, who teams would be willing to trade for at this second?

The logical answer to that question would be young, affordable arms the likes of Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez, and according to Olney who spoke to Naylor and Landsberg on TSN's 1050 in Toronto Tuesday, teams like the Cubs, Astros and Yankees are scouting Stroman right now in anticipation of him being available.

"The Cubs, the Astros, the Yankees all fit this category, who when they add a starting pitcher before the trade deadline, they want to not trade for rentals, someone who’s a free agent at the end of the year, but they’d rather focus on a controllable starter, someone that they can control beyond this year," he said. "And Marcus is not going to be eligible for free agency until after 2020 and so they’re definitely taking a look at him."

Now, no one on the Blue Jays has said they are shopping the 26-year-old starting pitcher yet, but considering the return any of the three teams mentioned before they would be fooling not to entertain the notion. The likes of Clint Frazier, Derek Fisher, Francis Martes, Justus Sheffield, Eloy Jimenez and Dylan Cease could all be available. Getting any two of those players back could be worth it.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wow. Stroman would be a great get and I wouldn't mind sending both Tucker and Martes to get him.

13. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

It'd be tough to swallow especially with Tucker adjusting so well to AA and Martes showing real flashes of brilliance but Stroman is pretty darn good and under control for a while. That's the price of poker as they say. I wonder if there's any chance that they'd take Martes, Fisher, Franklin Perez, Jorge Alcala, and one other prospect? I'm guessing the Astros will do whatever they can to try to keep Tucker and Whitley out of any deals which is comforting.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think a reasonable expectation for Stroman would be Tucker, Martes, 1 3rd tier prospect (Moran, Teoscar, Davis, Stubbs), and 1 4th tier guy Toronto really likes (somebody like Armenteros, Alcala, etc.).

The barometer I think we can all use is the Chris Sale trade. None of the pitchers available at this deadline are worth as much as Sale was last offseason, and there were more buyers then. That package was:

Moncada (MLB Top 5 prospect)
    Kopech (somewhere in the 30-80 range in MLB)
    Basabe (Bostons #8 prospect at the time)
    Diaz (Bostons #28 prospect at the time)

Houston doesn't have a Moncada, but Tucker is close. Martes, Teoscar, and Armenteros are probably worth more than Kopech, Basabe, and Diaz. So that's a package that Toronto would have to really consider.

15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I still would rather give up Fisher and Martes and anyone else if we can make it work. Still plenty of arms of Stroman/Archer capability that have yet to hit market. Just gotta be patient.

The get is DeGrom. That's probably the only guy i would give up Tucker for.

Tucker is going to be very good, if not great.

16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I think the main focus of the front office right now is signing the 1st rd pick, 10th rd pick and as many picks beyond that as they can before the Friday deadline

I would not give up, add or subtract anything to the current group of position players they all produce when given opportunity, have tremendous chemistry and fun that is a neccesity.

Keuchel, LMJ, Morton, Fiers, Peacock, Devo, Feliz, Harris and Giles are all worthy of postseason roster spots. McHugh could join the group and Gregerson is pitching his best stretch of the season. Adding a quality starter and left handed reliever are really the only needs.

Whitley, Kyle Tucker, F. Perez and some of the last two draft classes are only dealt for a DeGrom, Archer type.

There's plenty elsewhere to land a Brad Hand, Justin Verlander, Sonny Gray type tier 2 deal

17. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I don't see deGrom or Archer being available any time soon for better or worse. Gray and possibly Stroman look like the two best who are/will be on the market which is still a lot better than last year's deadline (Rich Hill was the best guy traded). I also still like Quintana due to his contract, durability, and consistency (prior to this season). I'm not down with Cueto and Verlander due to their contract situations.

bigdaddy and raining threes like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Looks like Teheran might be available. He's having a down year, but as the article mentions a big part of that may be his home park (his road numbers are really good). But his bb/9 is pretty scary and of the guys Houston has been linked to he's probably my least favorite. But if the other guys are unavailable or cost prohibitive, I do think he's an upgrade over Fiers/Musgrove/Peacock. But I wouldn't want to give up Tucker or Martes. Something like Fisher, F Perez, and Moran would be a fair package.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

From memory, here are the guys Houston has been linked to over the last month or so:

Gray
    Quintana
    Cole
    Teheran
    DeGrom
    Stroman

The other guys who might be available that haven't really been linked to the Astros are:

Santana
    Darvish
    Verlander
    Cueto
    Samardzija
    Volquez

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would be shocked if Atlanta would accept a deal like that. I would love it, just don't see it happening