1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Mr let's not get caught up in the numbers.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I like Verlander but the money is just too much. I did see someone post Verlander and Justin Wilson for Martes, Marisnick, Paulino, and the older Tucker. Plus Tigers add a bunch of cash.

3. Buck Turgidson

I would get whiplash from nodding my head so fast to say "yes".

I guess it really depends on the cash aspect, but I don't know their budget forecast for the next couple of years.

4. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Agreed. For the reasons you stated, that's why I mentioned that the acquisition cost (in terms of prospects) shouldn't be ridiculous. I'm still hoping for Archer, even though I understand it's improbable at this point.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Clearly I meant "#s" in relation to spot in the rotation, given both the post I was responding to ("And a #3 is not worth some of these packages that are being thrown out.") as well as when I said this: "I think people are getting waaaaaaaaay too caught up in #s. It doesn't matter where he slots in our rotation..." Not to mention, you know, my using stats throughout my many replies.

Anything of substance to add?

6. Buck Turgidson

Outside of Archer and Quintana, none of the options are spectacularly appealing.

7. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Agreed. I don't want to settle here. Either go big (a legit ace or ace-lite, that we can confidently throw out there in the playoffs and hope for the best (we'll hopefully make it first), or simply stand pat and let the several options we have work itself out.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If I'm moving our top prospect

That's not how I'm doing it

9. toycannon

toycannon Member

If we can get Degrom from the Mets we will make it to the WS. He had some big games in the playoffs back in 2015.

10. The Beard

When looking at the mets roster, thought it was funny they are still paying Beltran, 3.1 million this year and 3.1 million next year. Dude got the best of them for sure....anyway

I'm in the camp that thinks they would move him, but the price would be steep

They have Wheeler, Synder, Matz, Gsellman all at least two more years, they have huge holes at 3B and one OF spot moving forward

Bregman
    Paulino
    Fisher
    Teoscar
    Daz

Not sure that gets it done or not, but I wouldn't go any more than that. Couldn't put Martes or Tucker in if Bregman involved, and don't think it gets done without Alex.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

FYI, Jose Quintana in his last 5 starts: 4-1; 1.78 ERA; 1.09 WHIP; 9K/9; 3.26 FIP.

He had two god-awful starts to end May (15 ER in 7 IP) but otherwise, since April 21 (13 starts): 3.84 ERA; 1.25 WHIP; 9.3K/9; 3.52 FIP. Take out those two glaring eye sore starts: 2.31 ERA; 1.11 WHIP; 8.6K/9; 3.12 FIP.

BigMaloe, mikol13 and kaleidosky like this.
  12. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

This is a turn-around I can get behind.

13. The Beard

Three more years of cheap (relative) control

32+ starts every year since he came up

In 16 starts this year he has gotten into the 6th inning 12 times, into the 7th 7 times

Question is are we willing to move both Martes and Tucker + other pieces for him

I'll admit that before the season I was in the no way crowd....but with us being the best team in baseball, having a legitimate chance to win the whole thing, and only Beltran and Luke being free agents after the year....I would package those two with some lower guys and go for it on Q

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Sustained, consistent success. No injury-history. Great contract. Still relatively young.

He's exactly the type of guy you go all-in for, but his start to 2017 made that impossible. Politically, you can't sell the farm for a guy with an ERA over 5, no matter what the peripherals are saying. But now, he's back in the game.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Martes, Tucker, Moran, Paulino. That's what I think would be fair for both sides. But neither side would probably want to do that deal.

With Cespedes, Lagares, and Conforto, their OF should be set for a few years (especially if they get Tucker).

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Astros always need to include Tucker in any deal and then ship them Preston.

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agreed. it's good for him that he's bounced back but I can't see them trading Ktuck for that guy now.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. toycannon

toycannon Member

I heard they are still paying Bobby Bonnilla 1m each year for the next 10 more years...lol He's been retired since 2000.

19. The Beard

I would do that deal, to get deGrom and not give up Bregman, basically losing no one to FA after this year...

As for the Mets OF, I seriously doubt they are looking at Lagares as the long term answer in the OF, over 1,400 at bats and an ops around .660... adding a good bat to the other two is likely a priority in any big trade along with 3B

I just don't see the mets doing anything without Alex in there

20. The Beard

1.2 million per year....still paying Saberhagen a quarter million a year

More athletes should do that type of deal. Secures them long term

toycannon likes this.