1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. raining threes

Really?

So you're fine with an inexperienced rookie (basically) in the playoffs?

A guy that will probably end up in the .230's by the end of the year. Stassi is fine s a backup C but I dont thin he's the starting C on a WS winner.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why not?

What does McCann really do that makes him so much better. Our pitchers haven't had any issues throwing to him.

3. raining threes

Why not,

Because I would like a proven ML catcher in the playoffs and Stassi is far from that.

4. CinematicFusion

Two plays behind the plate with Sanchez cost Yankees against us....you need a solid defensive catcher behind home plate during the playoffs.
    It’s not unwise of the Astros to be exploring options.
    Not saying Stassi can’t do it, but if you could get Realmuto or Ramos in a deal that made since...I would do it in a heart beat.

everyday eddie and mikol13 like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Since when has Stassi's defense been a problem?

I know some people only want "proven players", but it's kind of hard to develop talent internally if you are only willing to give time to veterans.

6. Buck Turgidson

None of the Astros catchers are even in the same galaxy as Sanchez as far as defense goes.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Looks like you missed the "as of today" portion of my post. Thus far, Stassi has done just fine hitting and fielding. If they can get a catcher the caliber of Ramos without sacrificing quality prospects, that would certainly help the team.

Stassi has a higher WAR in early July than McCann had all of last season. Offensively, McCann was miserable throughout the playoffs. That being said, I doubt the Astros win the WS without him. From afar, his leadership, relationships and example outweighed his hitting and fielding woes.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Just pointing out that as of today I think Stassi is fine. If he falls off a cliff over the next month, they might need to make a change depending upon how the rest of the team unfolds.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is an interesting point I haven’t seen discussed much (weighing developing internal talent against fielding the absolute best team each season/game). My opinion is that the only internal talent that should be given everyday play during this window are prospects that they expect to be a star/core player (like Altuve, Springer, Correa, Bregman, and Tucker). Otherwise it’s fine to develop players in bench roles. I like Stassi and his production this season has been a revelation, but I don’t want to go into the playoffs relying on him and Federowicz. If they don’t think McCann will be back fully healthy for the playoffs then they need to trade for a proven starting caliber catcher.

If they think Stassi is good enough to be the starter, they can try that beginning next season. That way if he falters they’ll have an opportunity to adjust at the deadline. He just isn’t established enough yet to risk depending on him in a year where they’re trying to win it all and everything else is in place.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

What fielding woes for McCann are you referring to?

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

What I'm saying is if this is Tuckers audition it's not going as planned. But if they think Tucker is better or Alveraz they need to think about what can really improve this team. REALMUTO would really improve this team by leaps and bounds. With McCann and Gattis FA next year you could essentially fix all your problems really quick.
    No one wants to see a sub .230 hitter limp into the play offs and in a tight spot needing a run and just do nothing. McCann may be loved by some of the Pitchers but dudes wheels are falling off fast.
    Stassi as a Backup catcher would be stellar for the Astros.

Here Is the thing though if you do trade Alveraz or Tucker, you better go all out and go get the other key spots your gonna need for the play offs.
    C. OF. CLOSER TYPE PITCHER.

All in all Marwin Gonzalez, Dallas Keuchal, Brian McCann, Charlie Morton and Even Gattis all will be FA.
    At least 2 of them maybe 3 will not return to the Astros. In which the Astros will have the Cash to extend Correa, Springer and Bregman.
    Guys like Reddick and Smith will soon be off the books aswell. So all this would have to be looked at for the Future.
    I understand Altuve and company want a dynasty but you have to have some young guys locked in as well.
    Verlander wants to pitch till he is 45 and that's fine but not at 20m plus.
    Cole will be needing a contract after next yr so you will need to lock him down aswell.
    This will need to play in the near future.

This is why a guy like Realmuto and Hand would be the solid adds we would need.
    Both locked down for 2 and 3 years and would be covering some of that low salary but holding down prime spots on the roster.
    No rental Catcher. No rental bp arm.
    Lock the know and the future in

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

You have to also think there could be a relapse to that knee. Its happened to many players. He isn't young and he has had loads of knee issues.
    I've always went by the saying. Once it happens once it could always be hurt again In the same spot. Due to the surgery making soft spots near that area. Just takes that one tweak.

12. CinematicFusion

Have to ask Jeff Luhnow that question. Stassi’s defense has been solid. The Astros have been inquiring about Realmuto and Ramos.
    Do you trust Stassi behind the plate full time during the playoffs assuming McCann isn’t healthy.
    Do you trust Realmuto or Ramos more behind the plate? Then at what cost?

All we as fans can do is drink beers on a Saturday morning and opine.
    One thing we all agree on is we want the best chance to win another World Series and keep a competitive team in the further.

BigMaloe and raining threes like this.
  13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Its only been a few games for Tucker.

He hit the ball hard yesterday. It didn't find holes.

You have to be willing to give him time.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I don’t think he’s looking overmatched at all. I think he just needs to get comfortable and find that groove. I think if he’s given the rope Bregman was given, he will be fine.

15. CinematicFusion

Sanchez’s defense in 2017 was a struggle for sure and it carried into the playoffs last year. Though he has improved this year, he still struggles....he has a canon for an arm. Big offense slump this year .190 ba, but still hitting for pop with 14 hr.

Stassi is solid at framing and defense. Learning the pitchers as you saw the other night when he got dressed down by Verlander.
    Do the Astros believe he can continue to hit at a high level and during the playoffs if McCann is still injured?

We will find out...

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We have the big 4 in place, the cast surrounding them all has some issues long term. Gattis is FA, McCann is a FA, we have nobody proven in LF, and Gurriel is at an age where a falloff could happen. And their salaries aren't gonna drop off, they are just gonna be reallocated to the arbitration salaries for our young stars.

My concern is that if we push these unprovens back, we could encounter an issue where we are forced to play a bunch of unproven guys at the same time, necessitating a trade. Moving forward we want to use our trade assets to bring back pitchers, not hitters. I would rather just get some kind of evidence on a guy like Stassi now, when we have the offense surrounding him. If we do need to address catcher externally, lets do it this offseason. Instead off having to address a bunch of issues at the same time, depleating our farm, making it hard to acquire more pitching which we will likely need to find after next season.

As is, we could go into 2019 with an unproven DH, C, LF, a 35 year old 1B and the solid but unspectacular Reddick. It starts to put a ton of pressure on the big 4. Adding a guy like Realmuto would certainly help through 2020, but then 2020/2021 starts to look more like a closing window than ever.

17. CinematicFusion

Bregman was hitting .253 through first 35 games last year before he broke out.
    Aron judge hit .160 in 28 games in 2016 before being sent back down and exploding in 2017.
    It takes time to develop young talent. But yes....some don’t develop, that’s why they are prospects. Nothing is for certain as we all have seen. Tucker will end up being a solid ball player. Will it be this year?

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. raining threes

This isn't the time to be worrying about developing players internally.

This is the time to try to win championships and a rookie C doesn't give the team its best chance to win a WS.

Teams as good as the Astros haven't come along in this cty in 50 years of baseball. Now is the strike while the iron is hot.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

“Cool story bro” moment. Not trade related but thought I’d share:

My good friend met Marco Gonzalez the other day. He’s a very down to earth, humble guy. Marco mentioned that he just prays that Trout doesn’t homer when he faces him, that that’s all you can really do. Was also dogging NYY and BOS stadiums, saying it’s cool to walk out but absolutely sucks to pitch in parks with those dimensions.

Overall heard that he was super nice guy. Will be a fan of his from here on out, unless he’s facing HOU.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I was speaking of Bregman’s first 30 plus at bats before he got a hit.

I think Tucker starts putting it together it’s just a matter of when. This season or next, who knows. I think he’s looked ok for the most part, he’s just missing in some at bats. He’s also had some solid at bats in key situations.

I’m just hoping the Astros continue giving him the playing time they have.