1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Altuve's just chillin', apparently

[​IMG]

2. Nick

Nick Member

I believe they know their team better than the fans know them.

They know that there are real concerns in the pitching staff.. Keuchel himself is probably concerned that he will wake up one day and his neck will be sore again.

They actually have a tremendous enough lineup (when healthy) to basically slug their way to a WS title. Its never happened before, but if there was a team that could possibly do it, its this team.

Just much more desirable to shore up pitching if possible.

3. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I won't speak to your level activity, whether you sit on your behind or are as active as an outfielder in a no hitter.

But...

I have to believe we all have been Houston fans for a while. Not just Astros fans or Rockets fans or Texans fans, but Houston fans in general. And that being the case how often to chances at championships come around. 1993 was painful, because I do not believe that anyone thought that Oilers team could not have gone all the way. But a Beebe out of bounds catch later it was over. To taste that 2005 World Series and not get one win. To lose a game off an illegal John Stockton screen in 97 when you felt that if you go back home for game 7 you go to the finals.

1994 and 1995 will always be special looking back because no one cared what Michael did for 2 years in the minor leagues... Richmond was "lit", because a Nigerian came to Houston and never left (we don't count that Toronto year) and put a team on his back to win 2 championships for Houston.

23 years later, if you have a legitimate chance at being that last team standing after 4 months of dominating, but come out lackluster after the break... make a move. I don't think Keuchel was simply upset that we didn't make a move, but that tied to the fact that your competition around you got better. Dallas likely knows that chances like this come around once in a lifetime and yes I believe he and the team will continue to play their damnedest to win. But if anything he is just saying what others might be afraid to say.

In the end I do hope it all turns out. Maybe a waiver trade gets done. Maybe Keuchel and McCullers come back firing daggers that none of the league can't hit. Maybe Sipp has a spiritual resurrection... ok maybe not that last one. But if you are a Houston fan and it's been 23 years and you recognize how fleeting chances are to getting to and winning a championship, you should be disappointed at the lack of movement yesterday. You can be good, or you can be great. Which would you prefer for your Houston team? I know my choice. But I myself just sit and watch the games at best. So my disappointment it a mute point.

#2743 burnshroom, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    chievous minniefield likes this.
  4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If you're a player, I don't know how you're not completely pissed. You saw the Dodgers, who have the best record in the league, go out and get Darvish, Watson, and Cingrani... while this team, with all of the injuries we currently have, literally only gets Liriano.

I mean, I understand not wanting to completely destroy your farm system to get a couple of arms, but to sit on all of them? In a situation where the team could really use some insurance?

It HAS to be incredibly frustrating.

Props to the guys (with the exception of Dallas) for handling it perfectly in public, but I can imagine the conversations going on in the locker room.

Rockets FTW, DudeWah and MadMax like this.
  5. Rox225

Rox225 Member

IMO, this year was the year you ask, if not now, when? At least if you trade away most of your top prospects you have a few years to rebuild the farm before free agency starts taking its toll on your core. This wasn't just the time to maximize our current roster and the years folks like Marwin and Reddick are having, but to take advantage of the parity amongst the top teams in MLB.

#2745 Rox225, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    The Beard likes this.
  6. The Beard

The Beard Member

Dallas is probably acting as the spokesman for the team. Not sure why so many are ripping him for speaking, he very likely told the others I'll be the one to talk. He doesn't need to be a leader of the fans, he needs to be a leader of the clubhouse

I'm glad he spoke out

7. Malaya

Malaya Member

So sad ... just so sad. I hope we have not lost the clubhouse.

Those saying he's mentally weak, it's Luhnow who's weak.

We don't play the game. They do. And they know how much mental focus and physical toll it takes. When your ace explicitly requests that we add pitchers in 2015 and probably this year too, and other teams are able to, then that's just a slap to the face. That's maddening.

That said, someone has to rally the troops. Give them a few games to mope. But after that, someone has to lead again.

The Beard likes this.
  8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If Luhnow/Crane don't make win now moves in offseason... It'll be chaos. I actually think Keuchel leaves.

9. chievous minniefield

I think that's all pretty fair.

I'd have liked a trade, too, at the right price. I'm disappointed nothing got done, at the right price.

At the right price, a good deal *might* have helped us in our goal to win a championship.

Dallas Keuchel is complaining about Jeff Luhnow not solving a "problem" that actually isn't a problem yet but could be. And oh by the way, if it becomes a problem, it will be primarily because Dallas Keuchel is the biggest part of that problem.

I think it's weak. And as a fan of Keuchel, it disappoints me.

Maybe some others think him, or anyone else, whining about it will help the Astros achieve the goal. I don't.

The Allied Forces didn't take Normandy because they got Sonny Gray at the trade deadline. They took it by taking it.

I'd like to see the Astros get out of their feelings (along with a bunch of fans) and start owning their own stuff.

Another thing Keuchel could've said: "You know, I understand the interest in the trade deadline. But in reality, I haven't contributed to this team winning a game in two months. All my focus and energy is on doing my job and getting right to help this team win the World Series. That's all I'm here to do or say."

That would've shown incredible accountability, responsibility and leadership.

He didn't. He whined. He gave his team a big, fat excuse for why it's not their fault when they lose, which is what he's thinking will happen.

Hopefully he'll do better next time.

I'll be sitting on my ass (I'm the best at it), rooting for him.

DudeWah and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. BigM

BigM Member

I don't have a problem with what Keuchel said. It's ok to be disappointed in management. He expects great things out of this team. I find it more odd the posters that are concerned with "losing the locker room"

Seriously? They have the best record in the entire league by double digits. There is a monster difference between being disappointed and not caring anymore. If this team has shown us anything so far this season, it's that the offense is bananas and that lockeroom is tight and confident. Fans tend to project their emotions on to teams. The situation is worse in your mind then it is in that lockeroom. I have zero concern with their mentality to win a championship.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Let me guess? You buy into that bootstraps bull****?

12. The Real Shady

He'll go to whichever team offers to pay him the most money when he's a free agent. No magic formula to it

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Is this fact? He could always take a little less to play somewhere he likes... if turmoil happens or you know... a few early eliminations. Doubt it though.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Very true. Of course we have that mentality but what happens IF things go south. Uh-oh... Best team in AL heading into playoffs... Pressure.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jeff Luhnow is on 790 now, apparently to address Dallas Keuchel's comments.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I hate, absolutely hate throwing teammates under the bus publicly, but Luhnow isn't his teammate. They can hate all hate him and it wouldn't bother me. Unlike the NBA, no one player is move the earth to keep him happy important. So if anything I want a GM doing what is best for the organization in his eyes. Likewise when he hits FA, I expect Dallas Keuchel to do what is best for Dallas Keuchel.

I doubt the 2 of them have to spend much time around each other, and I do get sick of canned responses from players.

17. HTM

HTM Member

Wasn't able to listen mind telling us what he had to say when you can?

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Most of what I hear from Jeff and Crane sound pretty canned as well. Kinda strikes a pet peeve for me about the world in general these days. That being, very few public figures say what they really mean and instead, bend a knee to some version of political correctness. Its all about shaping perception and hiding inconvenient facts. Not saying our players or brass are any worse than anyone else. Its pervasive in every corner of public media.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

What are some waiver wire guys we may have the possibility to acquire if any?

I hear Verlander is a possibility. Maybe a Lance Lynn?

Not as well versed in the waiver wire ordeals, aka the nooks and crannies, so any input would be appreciated.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

see here for info and discussion: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/august-31-trade-deadline-waived-players-thread.284538/

I'm not particularly optimistic about the Astros getting anyone of significant value (like a Verlander) through waiver trades

BigMaloe likes this.