1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros trade Jed Lowrie to Oakland for prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dockerland, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Without any other trades/signings my guess is it will be Greene and Gonzalez.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We stacked...for 2017!!!!

3. 713

713 Member

one step closer for Carlos Rodon!

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm underwhelmed.

Value isn't terrible by any means given Lowrie's injury history and FRod's terrible season, but was still hoping for better.

I'm guessing Marwin Gonzalez will start at SS now, though Tyler Greene certainly could, just like his versatilty better off the bench. Maybe he'll slide into a Ben Zobrist type of role. Of course Villar could easily reach the majors this season as well.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

people are reacting like we're killing our chances this season / tanking.

But let's be real. While I think Lowrie could've performed better this time (like the early part of the season)--his actual stats last year show that he had a .769 OPS and less than 400 ABs. So a little more than half the season worth of decent play. The other half was a bad replacement already

I'm guessing his replacement this year will hit worse than Lowrie. But hell, even Paredes had a .713 OPS in 170 ABs in 2011. And a defensive upgrade means less runs allowed. And they have 2 months to find someone better than the current replacements

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

if we got a good return, that's all that matters. we aren't contending this year. period. i'll gladly take another year of misery if this carlos rodon kid is the next big thing.

7. conquistador#11

if we don't win a world series in 2021, I will be disappoint!

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agreed. 110 loses wont be much more miserable than 106.

9. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Peacock intrigues me as a guy who could blossom into a solid middle-of-the-roatation guy. At first glance his ERA was absurdly high in 2012 but let's not overlook the fact that he was pitching in the hitter-friendly confines of the Pacific Coast League. While that doesn't completely excuse the ERA, he struggled with his control and has shown in the past to be a high-K, moderately low BB guy so the likelihood that he bounces back in 2013 is relatively high IMO.

I view Carter as a poor man's Ryan Howard. Not as much power, but not too far off in that department. He will always strike out more than he walks but that's par for the course with guys like him. With regular at-bats, he should and likely will hit 30-plus HR's with an acceptable OBP. The fact that he is already 26 years old means little considering the success Howard has achieved in the big leagues after not being given a real chance until his age-27 season.

I won't comment on Stassi since we aren't likely to see him in the big leagues for a while considering his age and moderate development. I won't, however, deny his upside and defensive abilities behind the plate.

I like the haul we were able to get for Lowrie. I just hope we employ Carter and Peacock in ways that will allow them to maximize their potential (i.e., regular at-bats, regular starts).

10. awc713

awc713 Member

GREAT TRADE.

we're what, tops 70-win team with Lowrie healthy for an entire year? and that's being generous.

we got a good, young viable long-term DH option with carter. he has 30+ HR potential, and is a good platoon from Pena because they hit from different sides of the plate.

glad to see we traded lowrie before he got injured. he always does. we sold high, and i like it.

11. logggur

logggur Member

Are we trying to Billy Beane Billy Beane?

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Viewpoint from an A's fan perspective

1 person likes this.
  13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

This sure will be interesting

14. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i really cant wait for the draft, just to see what luhnow does. hes given us some hope for the future, while most are crying that were not signing josh hamilton, and tossing out money for every available free agent. jeff is quietly turning around the franchise, its atleast a reason for optimism.. watch jeff flip pena at the deadline for some desperate teams top pitching prospect..

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

that's a hell of a viewpoint. Color me excited

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Obviously they're clearing out for Montaous Walton.

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Carter coming on board might have hurt Nate Freiman's chances to stick with the Astros. Freiman was the 2nd Rule 5 choice in the Major League phase, and I'm thinking that he might be offered back to the Padres if he loses ground on Wallace and Carter during the spring.

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Yep as expected

20. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Is this going to become the official picture posted whenever Jeff Lunhow's name is mentioned similar to Morey?