1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Ryan Pressly

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Senator

Senator Member

ALready been over this - I don't get influenced by mid season 12 inning sample sizes. Why on earth would you expect seamless transitions? What are Herrera's numbers and peripherals over the course of the season - how do they stack up with the rest of the bullpen? Have you seen his actual stuff, have you seen him perform in high pressure situations? I have.

Need to tip your hat and accept you were wrong about the bullpen being good enough because "Giles has not blown a save" and they've got the "best era against crappy teams". I don't want change for the sake of change, but this is a clear issue for over a season and since the team has the resources to bring in help, they should do so. Hinch finally agrees with the Pressly trade, and suggesting more BP help may be on the way.

2. Major

Major Member

You regularly b**** about pitchers based on much smaller than 12 inning sample sizes. Nice try, though.

The Beard likes this.
  3. Senator

Senator Member

Would love to see it.

Every opinion I have is backed up by long term trends.

4. Major

Major Member

How about Joe Smith, as an example? He was better than Herrera last year and has been excellent since May 1, yet he remains your whipping boy due to a bad 8 innings in April.

On this team, we have the following relievers that have been between good and excellent:

McHugh
    Rondon
    Peacock
    Sipp
    Smith (post-April)

I'm worried about Devo, but 5 innings ago, he had an ERA in the mid 1's, so he will hopefully get back on track. In the playoffs, you likely add McCullers or Morton to the mix unless Keuchel craters.

That is more than enough high-level bullpen talent to get through the playoffs, and deeper than most teams. Is it as good as NY? Of course not - our advantage there is starting pitching. Way better than Cleveland and at least on par with or better than Boston.

5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

This dude should be awesome. Let's get everyone healthy and run the table.

6. Buck Turgidson

Ehhh....but do they rake?

NIKEstrad likes this.
  7. Screaming Fist

Poking around on Brooks' site and I noticed that while his slider is obviously the star of the show, Pressly's fastball has some really interesting cutting action with horizontal movement closer to a meh cutter than a normal four seam fastball. Like a "power" cutter if there was such a thing.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Mariano Rivera says No....No there isn't.

9. Screaming Fist

Well, Mariano's had a lot more cut than Pressly's fastball. Pressly's fastball reminds a lot of Harris' cutter from earlier in his career but thrown 3-5 mph harder.

10. Screaming Fist

For reference, 2018 Pressly on top and 2014 Harris on bottom:

[​IMG]

I don't know how anyone makes contact on Pressly's curveball. That is some real Bugs Bunny ****.

#90 Screaming Fist, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018