1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

So.. by saying this, you're saying you had ZERO knowledge of Anything or Anyone you don't care about.

Stop lying and being stupid
    Confirming your above post was a lie, you indeed know SOMETHING about a guy you give no f***s about
    A player like that better be good. There would be provisions in his contract that he'd receive beatings if he violated certain behaviors.

I can cordially answer hypothetical questions. Why ? Because mines hang. Try it

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wasn't Manziel suspended for substance abuse? I don't recall him receiving a suspension because of a domestic abuse or assault case.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Nobody griped and complained because nobody knows, even a little bit, what he did. And if you're going to create an imaginary scenario where he can come back and smile to the crowd, maybe you should, oh I don't know, allow him the opportunity to do that before explaining how different this is. (SPOILER: He can still come back, smile to the crowd, and look nothing like a monster.)

If you go back 30 or so pages, you'll find that I generally agree with this trade feeling a bit icky. But when you argue for 72 straight hours about a topic, you end up in some pretty absurd arguments, like the few I've seen over the past handful of pages.

Hey Now! likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The better, more appropriate question: WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT JOHNNY ****ING MANZIEL?

Nimo likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Johnny wasn't playing in any league during the assault.

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Why don’t we just go back and get Al Osuna? He was good and, as far as I know, didn’t hit people.

7. Hey Now!

Then, by golly, he's even MORE relevant to this discussion...

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

I personally am waiting. I have never said passed judgement on the man or the Astros for the trade. My first introduction into this thread was trying to understand why so many seemed surprised at the outrage. I'm sure even the Astros had to have expected this. And I've said before that I hope he comes out and proves to the world that he is not a monster everyone tries to make him to be. But my point is clear, people would be less offended if the trade occurred post-suspension and AFTER he repaired his image. There are a lot of conflicted Astros fans (and even players) now that are airing out their struggles with the issue. The storm will die down when/if he looks nothing like a monster like you said. And if he doesn't I'm sure the Astros will release him (or trade him LOL)

9. Screaming Fist

You know the whataboutism has gotten out of control when we can't even stick to the same sport.

Nimo likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

And no NFL team has signed him since. He had to go through a bunch of appearances and repair his image to get a deal with a CFL team who wouldn't even let him play.

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Performance is the main reason he's not playing. Period

That's my point and why I brought him up

Htown Stros likes this.
  12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

What difference does the sport make ?

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Ok. That and the media circus that will follow him. So why is he even brought up here?

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Herrera had a 4.25 ERA, 4.30 FIP, 1.348 WHIP last year, which was his first season as the full-time closer. He has a 4.11 FIP this year. Not the guy you are looking for.

Familia another domestic violence case

Britton as I said, we were trying to acquire for the 2nd straight year, and it didn't happen, and once he was gone he was gone. Even then how much do you give up for a rental that hasn't shown a he's anywhere near the guy he was 2 years ago in the past 18 months?

Iglesias didn't get dealt despite all the interest in relief arms, which should tell you something. And of course trading for him would have been like trading for Giles, having never closed out meaningful games.

Giles isn't out because of his attitude, but his failures on the mound. The cussing at Hinch was just the end. Giles had multiple chances, and is getting another in a new uniform.

Nook likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

My retort to another poster's claim/position

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Within a few days here are some sports topics that have overtaken Osuna and Astros (as there is in News Cycles)

Sonny Gray Racist Tweets (Yanks fans calling for his head)
    Urban Meyer Scandal (this is absolutely horrendous if true)... anyone read this? I'll take this topic to a different thread. HUGE.

This is going to get buried within a week because of the influx new scandals popping up, then regurgitated when the court date happens.

MLB wanted more publicity, it's getting it. Sheesh. Sports for that matter.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

It's such a hard dilemma for me but to answer your question absolutely it does. That being said, I watched this team lose for a long time - the one time they made it to the World Series they were swept straight out of it. I remember thinking after that year I'd do anything for just one.

Fast forward to today, for better or worse, we have a GM who is clearly devoted to winning and doing whatever it takes to win. I brought up the Patriots because Belichick fits that motto (i.e. do whatever it takes) and most people consider him the greatest NFL coach of all time. Hell, just look at the most recent scandal in Urban Meyer or if that doesn't interest you how about Nick Saban? Does anyone really think he doesn't look the other way?

I say all of that to say the Astros spent 40+ years losing with this "good guys" mentality whereas teams like the Patriots, Ohio State, Alabama and the Yankees continued to win with the motto of "we will win no matter what it takes" and honestly to some extent I've always wanted my teams to do the same. Now that it is clearly happening it does bother me to a certain extent and the only thing that really bothers me about it relates to kids who are fans of the Astros because they are the only ones who don't understand these players ARE NOT role models. Jeff Bagwell, a known alcoholic and adulterer, is not a role model. Neither is Osuna. Neither are 90% of the other athletes or celebrities in this world - I find it absolutely hilarious our country voted in Donald Trump for president yet people are getting riled up about a young kid from Mexico who probably never had real guidance growing up and all he is doing is playing baseball which literally affects no one in the grand scheme of things.

So from that stand point, I really don't mind the decision and the business side of me thinks it's a great idea - it's similar to buying a stock (BP for example after the oil spill) when it's at an all time low due to one disaster which probably won't reoccur and over time the value will get back to normal levels.

Amshirvani and Hey Now! like this.
  18. Hey Now!

Comma: he was released three days after his assault charge was sent to the grand jury, which was ~30 days after the incident. You bringing him up continues to just get dumber and dumber and dumber...........

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Manziel isn't released if he's playing well.

Osuna plays for your baseball team because he's good.

20. ths balla

ths balla Member

so people are still claiming guilt without a judgement from the courts yet? that seems fair...also in Canada can't you be charged with domestic violence when it is a verbal confrontation?