1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That and then some if he does badly.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

OK!

He had cases pending while playing for the Rockets. Should I research your history in those threads ?[/quote]
    Yes, you should research my history in those threads about Ty Lawson, whose cases, if memory serves, were DWIs? You believe a case is a case, no mater the specifics, do you?.....

I "dodged" the question because it was nonsensically stupid. An untethered-from-reality hypothetical about a random player in another sport. But, OK - I'll answer the dumb question: no, I would not be in favor of the Texans signing Johnny freaking Manziel for a variety of reasons.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You are the one who keeps repeating they took advantage of the situation and that what bothers you.

If legitimate closers means more of what we already have, sure, those were available. If legitimate closers means what it does to me there was one, and he was a FA to be coming off 3 different injuries in the past year and yet we were still in on him. I want to know who you think all of these closers on the market were?

Nook and jim1961 like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

What does that matter?

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This whole thread doesn't matter beyond the first few pages. Osuna is on the team. The trade is done.

Houstunna likes this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

His punishment was completed.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yet here we are on page 39

8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

So your issue isn't with domestic violence in general? Just that the punishment is complete?

9. CinematicFusion

I continue to bring up Chapman. Both are MLB closers and both were suspended for domestic violence.
    I bring it up because of the Allegations and how he got off...

Cincinnati Reds closer Aroldis Chapman allegedly fired eight gunshots in the garage of his Miami-area home following an October argument with his girlfriend in which she told police he “choked” her and pushed her against a wall, according to police reports obtained by Yahoo Sports.

Now, he was cleared of these allegations and went on to have Chicago Cubs and New York Yankee fans embrace him...

This is some of the history with Chapman....
    Night of the party October 30th...

Prosecutor Stefanie Newman writes that they spoke with Barnea, who told 911 on October 30th, “He was hitting me in front of everyone and he’s going crazy.” When police responded to the home, Barnea told them Chapman got very upset with her and pushed her against a wall near the movie theater before her brother separated them. She added that Chapman “choked” her by putting his hands around her neck but did not prevent her from breathing.
    [​IMG]

Cristina Barnea (who he later marries)Story changes on December 22nd....

On Dec. 22, she provided a “sworn waiver of prosecution” to the state attorney’s office, saying “...she entered his personal space. Aroldis used his fingers to move her away from him, out of his personal space. She lost her balance and fell.” This lined up with what Chapman told police, which was that he poked her and she fell on the floor.

On Jan. 12, Newman spoke with Barnea again. Barnea reiterated that Chapman was trying to get her out of his personal space and that she fell because “there was a chair behind her and it made her fall on the floor.” She was mad and screaming, which drew her brother, who saw her on the floor and tackled Chapman.

Barnea’s brother, who tackled Chapman, said he did tackle Chapman but he “did not see how his sister ended up on the floor, nor did she tell him anything that had happened.” Chapman’s driver, Yensy Fernandez, said the police report was inaccurate about what he saw. Fernandez said he did not see the couple fighting, all he saw was them going into the theater, and later Dany Barnea running toward toward the theater. He heard a loud noise but “it did not sound like a gunshot to him.”

So there you go...Chapman is cleared and he didn't do anything. This happened on American soil so we get to see most of the details.

With Osuna ..... no details are out, nothing.
    It happened in Canada and they don't just hand out info.
    It's all speculation as to what happened.
    We know he has an Assualt Charge against him.
    We know he served a suspension with MLB and is cleared to play.
    We know he has said he is innocent.
    We know he Canadian court system is slooooowwww..... and his next court date has been pushed back to Sept. 5th.
    We know his lawyer Basile said he had planned to ask for a postponement so he could make a case for his client to be given a peace bond, which would drop the charges against Osuna. After Wednesday's court appearance, Basile said he was working towards a peace bond agreement that would mean Osuna would avoid a trial.

So yes....I continue to bring up Chapman. Both are MLB closers and both were suspended for domestic violence.

10. Hey Now!

Yes; they grossly exploited a pending domestic violence assault charge. It's craven.

Herrera, Hand, Famila & Britton were all dealt; Iglesias and Herrera (again) were reportedly available. Oh, you know another closer dealt? Ken Giles*.

* I'm glad the Astros dealt Giles - but there's a loooooooong line of people preaching second chances when it comes to Roberto Osuna - just sayin'.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Osuna's punishment will be complete before he takes the field for the Astros.

He was already pitching minor league games when the Astros traded for him.

12. Hey Now!

You honestly don't know?.....

Let me ask you this: if Osuna had been, let's say, hurt and missed 75 games - do the Blue Jays deal their cost-controlled, 23-year elite closer?

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

By "random" player, do you mean... "One accused of the EXACT Crime blowing this thread up 40 pages in 48 hours ? Yeah, the randomness is stupidly coincidental.

I'd bet the PRIMARY reason for your not wanting Johnny is football related, not his Domestic charge. I don't expect you to admit that though.

Let's just hope Osuna excels on and off the field. It's not difficult to cheer for you team.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

My issue is with people that are surprised that there are some outraged about this. And yes, I've stated in my previous post that there would be far less of an outrage if this trade occurred in 2019. Public perception would be much better after suspension is completed, he is acquitted of all charges, and doesn't seem like a monster to some

*Yes, I know there is no evidence that he is a monster. But you hear assault by a man to a woman and people think Ray Rice.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL Of course his suspension will be complete before he plays. But the trade occurred during the suspension.

16. Nook

Nook Member

What difference does it make if he had completed his suspension or not? Osuna was going to be available less than a week after the trade deadline anyway.

The fact that Chapman was pitching again doesn't change the fact that he hit his girlfriend, choked her and shot off his gun 8 times...... it is really semantics.

Hell, the Yankees paid LESS in a trade for Chapman because of his domestic situation.

This really isn't groundbreaking...

As to whether or not the Blue Jays deal their 23 year old closer if he missed 75 games while being hurt, it would depend on his injury likely and what they could get for him in trade.

The Blue Jays almost dealt him to the Astros a year ago.

17. Nook

Nook Member

So? What difference does that make?

How is that remotely relevant?

18. Hey Now!

I'm going to be honest with you - I have no idea what, if anything, Johnny Manziel is charged with because a) I don't give a **** about Johnny Manziel; b) there is zero.point.zero chance he's going to play for the Houston Texans. Isn't he playing in Canada?

So, yeah - random. Ridiculously so.

HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF THE ASTROS SIGNED TY COBB? HMMMMMM??? THOUGHT SO!

19. Hey Now!

And at a much higher price.

Right, semantics - we're arguing over who's the bigger scumbag, Nook... I don't find any comfort in WHATABOUTing domestic violence.

Chapman wasn't traded to my favorite team. Osuna was - in large part because the Astros could get him on the cheap because he was serving the second longest domestic violence-related suspension in league history. That's craven and gross.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

When was the last time a player was traded while suspended?

It only makes a difference in public/media perception. And that's all we're talking about here. He is going to a WS contender (defending champs) before he has completed the punishment handed to him. I don't think anyone griped and complained about him getting the suspension; so the perception was that he deserved it. Now before he even completes the suspension he is being "rewarded" by going to one of the best teams in the league. If he came back from suspension, apologized, smiled to the crowd, looked nothing like the monster people want to make him out to be, and got acquitted for the assault crime; It'd be a totally difference reaction. That's why there was less reaction about the Chapman trade.

Even the Astros players are conflicted; of course the fans and media would have a problem with this.