1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade for OF/C Evan Gattis

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Do you like this trade for the Astros?

1. YES

97 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. NO

17 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

I'll be honest. I'm not sure about a lineup filled with guys that strikes out so often. Gattis struck out 96 times in less than 370 at bats. That's a pretty scary number when added to the likes of Springer, Carter, and Singleton. It's hard enough to get hits, but to have runners that can't advance half the time just doesn't seem like a great formula.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The nerd cave supercomputer would disagree with you.

But, yeah. I can see them having a lot of feast/famine games/stretches.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Don't really mind losing the prospects, that's why you build depth.

Our range in the outfield is going to be absolutely terrible. I like Gattis individually, but him and Fowler is a bad fit defensively. Offensively we need Fowler's OBP, because people have to get on base for these sluggers, so trading Fowler and putting Marisnick out there isn't a great option either. Our roster is in a catch 22.

I'm sure Luhnow knows this. I think he is just trying to assemble productive MLB hitters and will perfect the roster when winning is more of a priority.

4. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

I agree if these are just robots playing with their sets of skills. But when you add on to late close games where you want to advance a runner, would you still bunt a player to third with no outs if you know that your 3/4/5 hitter has a good chance to strike out?

I could be way off, but it just seems to be that the teams that seem to make the playoffs and have good runs don't usually have a lineup of feast and famine players. I can imagine having a player or two like Ryan Howard was for the Phillies, but imagine a team filled with them.

This, of course, only comes if stats regenerate itself. I expect all of these three sluggers to come back as better players as they progress in the MLB. Room for improvement on contact hitting and just better control at the plate overall. But as I was saying, the Royals, Giants, Dodgers... they all have that one player that hits HRs more than anything else, just scary to have 3-4 players that are likely to strike out 30% of the time.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gattis only has a 22.7% K rate, for a slugger that's not terrible at all.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Agree. I've never been a fan of having lineups loaded with players that are high strikeout/HR guys and have low OBP. Good pitching in the playoffs will carve up those lineups without a problem. Players like Dexter Fowler win you games in the playoffs.

However I'll just take getting to the playoffs at this point. Once we are there we can re-evaluate the lineup. :)

7. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Not going to lie, kinda shocked Springer has at least 300 at bats. Didn't feel like he was up for that long before getting hurt.

8. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Altuve
    Fowler
    Springer
    Carter
    Gattis
    Lowrie
    Castro
    Dominguez
    Singleton

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Fowler should be in front of Altuve

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But he won't be.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I have to think that was more of a Porter thing.

There is absolutely no reason a guy that gets on via hit should be in front of a guy that gets on via walk.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Fowler is a good batter for Altuve to steal because he his patient and works the count. That is a legitmate reason.

The real reason Altuve will be leadoff is that he is an all-star, and lead-off is a more premier spot in the lineup.

14. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

[​IMG]

FIFY.

1 person likes this.
  15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>For Gattis and Hoyte, the Braves will get third baseman Rio Ruiz and right-handed pitchers Mike Foltynewicz and Andrew Thurman.</p>&mdash; Mark Bowman (@mlbbowman) <a href="https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/555560646021242880">January 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

James Hoyt was the #30 prospect in the Braves system according to the 2014 Baseball America Prospect Handbook. He bounced around the independent leagues, and then the Braves signed him out of the Mexican League in 2012. The Handbook says he worked on sailboats and returned to the game after he tried out for the now-defunct Yuma Desert Rats of the now-defunct North American League in 2011.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/webberoo11">@webberoo11</a> yes. Reliever signed out of Mexico in ’12. Fastball Slider guy. Fanned 77 in less than 60 IP, last year despite high ERA at AAA</p>&mdash; Mike Ferrin (@MikeFerrinSXM) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeFerrinSXM/status/555561000670605312">January 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

#115 tellitlikeitis, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

It's done.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros-Braves trade is official.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/555567873293578242">January 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

17. awc713

awc713 Member

1. LOVE that Gattis hits without batting gloves. Not sure why. Looks old school, and I dig it.

2. I'm a fan of this move in theory, although I'm not in love with Gattis as a player. I think this opens up more moves, so I'll wait to really judge. I think we're going to move Castro soon, and perhaps Fowler as the year progresses. We have too many quality OFers, with Fowler, Gattis, Springer, and Marisnick, Tucker, etc. coming up through the ranks.

Some other moves are coming.

I liked Rio a lot, and Folty has a lot of positives, but its about time we start flipping lottery tickets for proven players.

18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In 1997, the Astros brought in a guy by the name of Carl Everett. Up until that point, was a .240avg who struck out as much as Gattis. The next 2 years Everett would hit over .300 with 40+ homeruns and 180rbis.

Gattis just might surprise.

1 person likes this.
  19. vince

vince Member

I think this deal is about not waiting any more on the prospects. Singleton had a bad rookie campaign. Dominguez has regresed, betting he is regretting passing on the Astros long term contract offer. They are tired waiting on Villar. It seems that the Astros will require players earn their spots by on field performance, and let potential take a back seat.

Gattis is here to primarily put pressure on Singleton. If Singleton falter Gattis will take over first base. If Singleton is improved, Gattis starts at left field.

If Domiguez is not improved the Astros will go with Lowrie at 3rd base. Same with Castro, if he slumps on the offense then they go with Conger.

GATTIS is going to push Singleton, and it will be a good competition to watch.

20. msn

msn Member

no one has been waiting on Villar. dude is filler.

As far as Everett, great memories! But dude had a serious temper. I remember stories of him screaming into his cellphone at someone while everyone else in the locker room cringed.