1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade for OF/C Evan Gattis

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Do you like this trade for the Astros?

1. YES

97 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. NO

17 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. SuraGotMadHops

The Rangers are starting that annoying thing again when they see who we are going after then try to get in on it (e.g. Clemens, Pettitte)

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was just thinking how the Astros didn't have enough catchers on the roster.

Putting Gattis in the OF would be terrible. He can't play the OF. Might as well stick Carter or Singleton out in LF.

I think it is a terrible fit, but I also think Ruiz is the one player we gave up that has a reasonable shot at being missed (though Folty has the highest ceiling of the 3).

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I say put the better of Gattis/Carter at 1B, other at DH, say bye to Singleton (possibly with Fowler or Castro) and get what you can for him. Ideally bringing back a LH bat at 3rd or LF.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

We are going to have a ton of two and three run homeruns in the first inning next year.

That is if Fowler stays healthy.

5. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kMrBNeFNyvs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Braves fans love this guy.. Everything I've seen about him has been so positive.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Not sure how you can dislike this trade.

Gattis is a better home run hitter than pretty much everyone on the roster not named Carter.

He hits his doubles at a rate better than anyone on the roster not named Altuve or Fowler.

His OPS would have been higher than everyone on the team other than Altuve and Springer.

Basically, he is instantly a top 3 or 4 hitter on the team, at worst.

The Astros had about 8 dudes last year that were competing to see who could get closest to the Mendoza line without going over (Krauss won that competition, btw). The fact that we actually have a major league bat added to the roster of 4 other major league bats is pretty exciting.

This move, along with a healthy Springer, puts us at 80 wins.

We're just a Correa and an Appel away from hitting 85-90 wins regularly.

#86 rezdawg, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Easy there... that presumes that Kuechel and McHugh can both duplicate their ace-like seasons (big if's), and Altuve repeats his historic season of basically getting a hit on anything he puts in play.

I agree they're better with Gattis than without him... but still need a helluva lot to go right to be a .500 or better team.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

LOL...."Trees began committing suicide in hopes of becoming his bat."

That's some good stuff.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Players don't regress once they show ability!

10. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J0XlbBg6NUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Astros-Braves Gattis deal, which is not completed, would include player/players not known at this point. We don’t have full picture.</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/555498845719654402">January 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. HookemHorns1250

This is getting stupid...

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I like Gattis! Nice pickup.

Ruiz was totally expendable, given we have Moran and JD Davis.
    Thurman has underachieved.
    Folty has potential, but probably more of a reliever.

This appears to be a nice deal for Houston.

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Chris Johnson could be a theoretical addition to this deal, although I do not like his contract at all.

15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Phew.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>To temper the buzz: BJ Upton is not a part of the deal.</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/555501751730569216">January 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

16. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

This really concerned me. We'd better not be adding a bad contract.

17. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Probably just Luhnow clowning Drellich some more.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If we had an average bullpen last year, we would have won at minimum, 5-7 more games. We had the worst bullpen ERA in the majors and gave up the most HR/9 innings in the majors. I cant even count how many times we lost leads in the late innings. The Astros had the worst record in baseball in 1 run games. How much could that 1 run game record been improved with an addition of a solid reliever or the addition of a solid bat? Now imagine if you added both a solid reliever and a solid bat.

Neshek and Gattis will help infuse talent to a lineup that had an incredible amount of black holes. Half the roster shouldnt be in the majors, but we still pulled 70 wins.

Sure, there should be some expected drop off in some of our players, but there should also be some expected improvement in other players. All in all, I dont really think it's far fetched to hit 80 wins. 75 might be more likely, but after the 2013 season, I guessed the Astros would hit 0.500 by 2015...so Im sticking to that. :grin:

19. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I absolutely agree. Heck, even before this trade (which I like by the way), I was thinking .500 ball was attainable with a full, healthy, and productive season from George Springer, and a vastly improved bullpen. Now improve our big league team with another power threat, and it makes the climb to .500 that much more realistic. This is an exciting time to be a fan.

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Soooooo many bombs.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I wouldn't have guessed almost all the leaders in HR/PA are RHB. Chris Carter, George Springer, and Evan Gattis all in top 10 (min. 300 PA).</p>&mdash; Ronit Shah (@Rontrarian) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rontrarian/status/555509838105419776">January 14, 2015</a></blockquote>