1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade for OF/C Evan Gattis

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Do you like this trade for the Astros?

1. YES

97 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. NO

17 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> Minute Maid Park overlaid onto <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash">#Braves</a> Turner Field. The bear will feast. <a href="http://t.co/WCKs74PhzD">pic.twitter.com/WCKs74PhzD</a></p>&mdash; Paul (@BravesChophouse) <a href="https://twitter.com/BravesChophouse/status/555467234458738689">January 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As of now, Marisnick is not a lock to make the everyday lineup, Dominguez is terrible, and they won't hesitate to send Singleton to AAA if he still is flailing (with Gattis/Carter likely splitting up the DH/1B duties). Grossman still also could be in consideration for platoon duty in the OF.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you like this trade for the Astros?

Adding a poll...

4. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Yeah, our glaring hole in the lineup is Dominguez...Singleton is still on the up so there is still a lot of hope (and expectations) that he starts raking. Dominguez is probably done-zo. Marisnick I imagine might get a shot if they deal Fowler, which has to be very likely (given its his last year on a reasonable contract, injury history etc).

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

What's really interesting is that after the season, Luhnow said upgrading the corners is THE priority of the offseason.

Unless Lowrie counts (I doubt it), that hasn't happened yet.

I'd say chances are minimal that both Singleton and Dominguez are our opening day 1B and 3B.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd think Lowrie plays more 3B and MarGo still keeps the seat warm for Correa (and I think he has less of a bust factor as an everyday player than Marisnick).

The problem with dealing Fowler is that if they're not going to get decent MLB value in return for him... they may be better off with his bat in the lineup (as a dark horse team that could make noise if EVERYTHING comes together right), and then getting the draft pick for him in the off-season.

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

yeah I agree. I think they might platoon Dominquez with M. Gonzalez until they think Moran is ready? Other possibility is Lowrie moves to third and Gonzo or...(Correa?) takes over the SS spot by the end of the year. Otherwise, who is available for trade?

1B is obviously singleton's job to lose. He'll probably be given every opportunity to make it. They might platoon him at 1B with Gattis and have a rotating outfield of Gattis/Fowler/Marisnick for the LF-CF spots and keep Springer in RF??

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lowrie/Gattis would be an upgrade to Singleton/Dominguez.

I don't normally hold Luhnow at his word for anything... and if he says upgrades, he doesn't necessarily mean we need to find the long-term solutions now.

9. vince

vince Member

I liked the trio of prospects the Astros gave up. They all have quality potential, with the ability to excel in the MLB. It could be a trade that looks horrible for the Astos in the future. But as the old saying goes, you got to give something to get something.

But there are risks that need to be taken. Not every prospect will make it and a team needs to commit on the direction it is headed.

Moran was a prospect the Astros are thrilled with (debating seriously of taking him over Appel) - all the while making Rio Ruiz expendable. It seems that Folty is still learning how to pitch, and he is not as advanced as others in the system - that 100 mile an hour fastball is enticing, but the command needs a lot more time. Thruman is a pitcher that has a vast array of pitches, but is still learning his command. Like I said, I liked all three prospects are legit. But there is a time when teams need to commit to the talent they feel they are going to attach hitch their future on.

I'm glad the Astros are making the tough decisions.

Well, there might be more trades on the horizon as some have said.

But a core of Altuve, Springer, Gattis, and Carter is solid. You add Lowrie, Fowler, Castro to the mix who have had success in the Majors. And that is a solid line up. Plus there is Singleton and Dominguez who could be wild cards...

I think that Moran might be called up as soon as spring training to take over 3rd base.

Astros looking good...

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I didn't see anyone mention the possibility that we'll move Jason Castro. I know the trade talks died down a few weeks back but it's not clear what position Gattis will play.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

I'm not convinced that this is the case. Eff-around time is over for our sweet Stros. We're going to be winning games this season. He's gonna have to show something quickly if he's going to be a part of that, in my estimation.

12. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

I love the Gattis trade. Sure we gave up Folty, Ruiz and Thurman, but 1. Prospects arent guaranteed to pan out and 2. We have depth in the system to make up for it. We have Moran (who is a safer bet to produce in the majors than Ruiz) and JD Davis at 3B. Not to mention we have the biggest pool in the draft this year to make up for those loses. Gattis is going to rake in Minute Maid Park.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

I agree, but he seemed to have sincere disgust with our corner production. There was no intention to mislead or anything.

I don't know what to think of Lowrie. I like his bat way more as a SS who can slug it. But, as our current roster stands, the optimal lineup would have him at 3B and Marwin at short.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think he was legitimately disgusted by Singleton and Dominguez. On paper, you'd think two sub 25 year olds with marked minor league success would have you set-up for the forseeable future... precisely why you can't get too attached to these prospects until you see what they do in extended stints.

If Singleton doesn't pan out (and I'd say there's a legit organizational concern that he doesn't), I wonder if they could defer some of that money they owe him so that he can still collect an annual check when he's out of baseball by age 30.

15. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Rangers are the other club that remains in the mix for Gattis if a deal with that Astros is not completed. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash">#Braves</a></p>&mdash; Mark Bowman (@mlbbowman) <a href="https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/555478827972198400">January 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd say, odds are he's a 1B/DH/OF rather than catcher... but I'd be purely speculating.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The neck has spoken...

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I really think those discounting Gattis's production aren't valuing 22 HRs. Partly in context of # of ABs without the ability to DH, but especially in context with all of baseball today. His SLG in each of the last 2 seasons would slot in just ahead of Carter as #11 in the AL.

In fact, he was basically the same guy as Carter last season (in a limited fashion), except his stirkeout-rate was 70% of CC's. (They actually also have very similar splits LH/RH...I thought Gattis might have been more split-heavy.) Isn't that exactly what we wanted out of Carter--to do the same thing and K less? We just got one of those.

19. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I liked Folty too. He had some fire on his pitches

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The ones that were actually strikes were nice as well...I hear he scrapped his slider, so he's going to be full-on one-pitch wonder like Wagner was his first 5-7 years.