1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade for OF/C Evan Gattis

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Do you like this trade for the Astros?

1. YES

97 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. NO

17 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he plays the OF, it will be LF at MMP... where you can stash bad defensive players.

But my guess is he'll be in a C-1B-DH rotation, with more 1B if Singleton still hasn't got it yet.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I can agree with that, if he plays left does that mean Fowler is in center? If so I don't like that. I like Fowler as a lead off guy but his defense in center with a weak lf wouldn't be good.

3. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

they are definitely assembling an American League team.
    high HR to go along with high strike outs.

i hope they can get decent value castro, unless they plan to keep him.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Don't completely rule out the possibility that he's a Carter replacement, and Luhnow sells high on him.

I'd say 60% chance Castro is moved before the season, 25% Fowler, 15% Carter.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

The tweet is technically correct. They are not allowed to announce a deal until all the physicals are done and everything is approved by MLB. Theoretically he could still go elsewhere if someone doesn't pass a physical and the deal falls through. Not likely but still possible until everything is official.

6. Ol Bill Worrell

Great move. Will miss Folty but we have several other arms to supplement his departure.

Gattis, Springer, Carter is a nice power trio.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, that's a given... I should put out a tweet that every night that says "we're not sure if tomorrow exists yet... still a chance it may not happen...";)

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I will say it feels like we're movi towards a legitimate big league club, I like that for sure.

9. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Couldn't you say that about every tradeable athlete?

As far as the trade goes, I'm not at all a fan of low OBP guys, primarily due to high strikeouts, but I do like the trade. I think that it's time to move on from building our minor league system to building our major league system, and this is one of the main ways you do it. He is definitely an improvement, and proven talent, unlike the guys we traded away.

10. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Finally, a decent move by the Astros.

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

BTW, I've had to battle with so many of you Fowler fans for over a year now. The guy is mediocre and overpaid. If he was so valuable, there wouldn't be the current groundswell of trade expectancy.

12. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Not a sexy move, but this will add wins to the season.. Sucks to see folty go, but if Gattis just does what he did last season he will be a top 4 player on our team..

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Luhnow and crew are putting together a nice major league roster while still keeping the payroll low and the system fairly stocked. About time for the loyal fans who have gone through all the losing.

14. Xercules

Xercules Member

Like the trade. Only one I'm sad to see go is Folty, but you gotta give something to get something.

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

on first blush it sounds like a lot to give up for a project .260/25 hr guy... but everyone on the board sounds excited so good deal? I guess when you break it down we have replacements for all the guys we had to include:

Ruiz-->Moran
    Folty-->McCullers
    Thurman---> bunch of other dudes.

We get a pretty 'sure' thing from what I've read in Gattis with 25+ hr potential with everyday bats. Seems like another move has to be in the works, right? Crowded outfield, very crowded catching field, and Carter is sealed in the DH spot. Maybe they'll look at him at 1B as an insurance to Singleton?? Or just trade away Fowler + Castro for a big arm? Maybe Hamels?

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The groundswell (at least for me) is because he's a free agent next year and is going to command $12-15 million a year.

For that price, and his age, he is overpaid... but most players are overpaid (considering their potential production) once they hit their free agent years.

He's still very much an above average top of the order hitter.

17. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Losing Thurman doesn't worry me. Folty should be decent player but no star by any means. Rio really has some upside though. But even with that, I'm thrilled with this trade. We could finally have a winning record this year! And we still have some great prospects on the way!

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Chances are Thurman ends up as the one player that actually makes it... why? Because nobody is talking about him right now.

19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Batting Lineup with what we've got?

Questions...where does Marisnick fit in? Will Dominguez stick at 3rd? Singleton ready to step it up?

C- Fowler
    2B-Altuve
    DH-Carter
    RF-Springer
    LF-Gattis
    C-Castro
    SS-Lowrie
    1B-Singleton
    3B-Dominguez

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

As of right now Marisnick will be a defensive replacement and/or pinch runner in late innings (with occasional starts). Would rather trade Fowler but as of now this is what looks like will happen.