1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros to purchase rights of Leo Heras

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Aug 13, 2013.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastro...purchase-rights-of-mexican-league-outfielder/

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Interesting stats. I don't know much about the Mexican league but he did a little bit of everything last year. .323 BA, 24 HRs, 17 SB, 18 doubles, and 8 triples. What should we expect from him? Minor league depth? Luhnow looking for gems in Mexico?

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Now we know what the Wesley Wright cash was for...

5. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

I hope my sarcasm meter is broken. Otherwise, the Astros are in a sad state of financial affairs, if as a team with one current player on the roster making over a million dollars, they need to unload two months of remaining salary of another servicable player in order to just sign a marginal prospect in the Mexican League.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Glad the Astros spent money to buy contract to Jake Taylor, I mean, Leo Heras.

7. Granville

Granville Member

Might was well pick up Kenny Powers, he was tearing it up in TJ at one point.

[​IMG]

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/AstrosCounty">@AstrosCounty</a> I know a little bit of Heras, disregard the homers he is playing in mexico city(worst than coors field) but great contact bat</p>&mdash; Leonel Coll (@collboxer1971) <a href="https://twitter.com/collboxer1971/statuses/367332574894366720">August 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. juicystream

It is a joke. I wouldn't have the slightest clue to what the Astros finances look like (I'd hope very nice given the payroll).

Just funny that we make a trade for cash and turn around and buy a minor leaguer. If Wesley Wright was traded for Leo Harris (pretending he was in TB's system), people here would have been ecstatic. Instead people are pretty apathetic to each move.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's 5'9" 190 pounds, plays center and hits lefty. .862 career OPS. Not a good percentage base stealer, about 66% success rate. Sounds like Luhnow is taking a flyer.

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

That would explain the power

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Good point.

While the argument that there shouldn't have been a monetary reason to get rid of Wright in order to buy Heras contract is a good one, I also didn't see Wright as a piece in our future.

Guys are going to have to be moved along to make room for the deluge of farm arrivals over the next year or two or three. There will be times when the return isnt a slam dunk, but any return at all is a good one given the alternative of moving them for nothing which eventually we would have to do anyway.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Jeff L told me that they want to increase their marketing efforts to the hispanic community in Houston, which of course is largely Mexican. Maybe this is a step in that direction. Plus the guy has good stats, obvs

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Is it possible that the Astros wanted to clear a spot on their 40-man roster? I am not very familiar with the 40-man roster or waiver wire.

15. Xercules

Xercules Member

If I'm reading their 40-man correctly, there are open spaces.

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yeah, I would count 3 spaces now whereas there were 2 before the trade. It seems possible that he moved him in anticipation of him being claimed off of waivers? I really don't know what I'm talking about.

17. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

This makes the most sense. He was claimed and we wanted something in return. Standard stuff if that is the reasoning.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

All I ever care about: How long till he's in the majors?

19. juicystream

He was claimed, so we had to trade him to the Rays, let him go to the Rays for free, or keep him. We didn't really gain a 40-man spot as we put Humber back on the 40-man roster. We did however gain a spot in terms of the 40-man roster going into the offseason. That is one extra slot for a prospect to be protected before the Rule 5 draft, or an open slot to take someone with the 1st pick.

1 person likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They could have pulled him back unless they were just plan on waving him.