1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sued by Former MLB Pitcher (sign stealing)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Feb 10, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Former big-league pitcher Mike Bolsinger filed a civil lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court against the Houston Astros on Monday, accusing the franchise of unfair business practices and negligence, among other charges, stemming from their sign-stealing operation, per Nancy Armour of USA Today.

Bolsinger is said to be seeking "unspecified damages," but not just for his own benefit. Per Armour, Bolsinger wants the Astros to forfeit $31 million in bonuses they received from winning the 2017 World Series, with that money being donated to Los Angeles-based charities for children and used to create a fund for "retired baseball players who need financial assistance."

Bolsinger, 32, accumulated 48 appearances in the majors over the course of the 2014-17 seasons, primarily with the Los Angeles Dodgers. He last pitched in the majors for the Toronto Blue Jays on Aug. 4, 2017 against the Astros. Bolsinger didn't fare well: he faced eight batters and permitted four hits and three walks.

Bolsinger believes that performance cost him any chance at a prolonged big-league career. "I was an older guy. They had younger guys to call up," he told Armour. "Let's say that (Astros game) doesn't happen … I probably don't get sent down. But at that point, they probably lost faith in me and were over it."

2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Definitely had nothing to do with the fact that he was a career 4.92 era pitcher already in his 30's with no real future ahead of him. Yeah...it was the Astros fault he sucks.

This is the stupid part of the opposing players argument.

4. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Yikes, good luck with all that Ballslinger

leroy and J.R. like this.
  5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Hopefully the judge isn't a Dodgers fan. Can the Astros counter sue? I wonder if he would drop it if they can. Potentially could lose more money.

lw17 likes this.
  6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

My guess is he is hoping the Astros want to avoid the negative publicity and want to settle. Barring that, I think he will have a difficult time proving that his career was ended because of that one game. MLB is probably going to want this to go away for fear that evidence will come out other teams were doing it too. That is obviously, from the way they are handling everything, the last thing they want to happen.

7. SuraGotMadHops

Good luck proving causation bro. Brett Hartmann has a much better case suing NRG over the turf.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Dude had a 5.49 ERA and a 1.65 WHIP BEFORE that game started. What is the avg career length of a guy rocking those numbers? He was also making the minimum and was optioned and put on waivers but NO TEAM claimed him earlier in the season and sent back to AAA before coming back up and getting shelled.

lw17 and RayRay10 like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My real concern here is if Bolsinger gets anything. Anything at all. For if he does, it could very well open the flood gates for dozens of other players to do the same. The Astros must do everything in their power to make sure this doesn't happen. To fail could have our team caught up in lawsuits all year.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I bet my signed Ensberg/Bregman Round Rock Express program that MLB and MLBPA does NOT want this to go to court. The discovery phase of a potential trial could be disastrous for everyone involved.

Snake Diggit, RustyHarden and SWTsig like this.
  12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I would absolutely take this to court and have the Astros show a list of every major league inning this jackass pitched. As @Redfish81 said, dude already had an era north of 5 going into that inning. 1 good inning was only going to delay the inevitable.

RustyHarden and RayRay10 like this.
  13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Other than against the Astros he was balls out.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Honestly I wouldn't mind it if they reach discovery. It's much more annoying right now to hear people talk about all the coverups and buzzers that it would be nice if everything is gotten out once and for all. I want to see how far all this stuff actually goes.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ho boy. This **** is never going to end.

RKREBORN, Gray_Jay and BigM like this.
  17. edwardc

edwardc Member

SMH these fame *ss pitchers he can be added to the I suck at baseball list.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Laughing my ****ing ass off.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I may sue the Astros. My replica World Series ring has lost tremendous value. I want justice.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

No, but at least it's getting hilarious so that's a positive!

RayRay10 likes this.