1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 27, 2006.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What year did you graduate? I left in 2002.

Going to Cards games definitely gives you an appreciation for the game. We dont get that kind of loving in Htown. I just wish that they werent rivals with the Astros so that I could have cheered for them. At least now in Beantown, I get to enjoy the Sox, without worrying about them taking the division from the Stros.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Graduated in 2003... hell, we may have had a class together.

3. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I went to Law School at Washington University. I hate the Cardinals as much as I hate the Utah Jazz

4. msn

msn Member

Wow, I only hate the Braves that bad. !#$!@#$!@#$ Braves.

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Buchholz threw six shut out innings today with only two hits and one walk, I think he's going to be the 5th starter.

6. rezdawg

haha, pretty small world. Very possible to have had a class together. Funny stuff.

7. rezdawg

Im not sure if I can get over the fact that his name is spelled with back-to-back h's, but if he can toss the ball like he has been, I'd happily welcome him into the rotation. I just hope Backe can get his act together.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just a sidenote: I was in Chicago and took in a game at Wrigley. My first. (DK pitched, and lost, for the Cards that day.)

Jack Buck was announced for the Take Me Out to the Ballgame 7th inning do -- and the fans loudly, and friendly, booed. I thought it was great!

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Looks like he's going to be the guy.

I'm more nervous about Lidge than I am Backe.

10. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

only problem is wandy isnt a reliable 4th starter. my prediction is, clemens or no clemens, we will be looking to acquire the best arm available come trade deadline time.

11. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Im not sure if I can get over the fact that your name is spelled with aw instead of o, but if you can post in astros threads like you have been, I'd happily welcome you into the forum. I just hope The Cat can get his act together.

Just messing with you :)

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Wandy is just plain awful, this team will have better options in the minors (Nieve, Hirsch, Carlos). If Wandy can improve slightly over what he gave us last year, he'll be fine... and will end up being more productive than Backe in the 4th spot last year.

We have to realize that there aren't that many "good" offensive teams in the NL. The Cardinals will be better w/ Rolen... but then who's next after them? The Braves? (added Renteria) The Cubs? (can Lee duplicate 2005)

Hell, the Brewers may end up with one of the best offenses in baseball next year (esp. if Fielder starts to bash the ball like he's supposed to), but they still won't be in contention b/c of the lack of SP and bullpen.

13. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

I've understand why but I still don't like Phil playing it safe and keeping Wandy around as one of the starters going into the season. I thought maybe a year's worth of ML experience plus some innings in the WS could really give Wandy some confidence and a boost, but it's not looking promising.

From everything I've read and heard, his velocity is still below-average and his location is all over the place (yes, I know it's spring training and your control is still off). Walks killed him last year and they've been a problem again in ST. Just stuff wise, I think he's behind Zeke, Nieve and Buchholz.

If he wasn't a lefty, we would even be discussing this.

14. Buck Turgidson

He was poor in his first 2 starts this spring, and very good in his last 2.

He's on the mound again tomorrow.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

4 days till first MMP game!

7 days till OPENING NIGHT!!! WHOOOHOOOOO!!!!

........man I can't wait.

16. Buck Turgidson

His schitzo spring continues...gets bombed in the first, then pitches 5 more innings of 1-run ball; only 1 BB, btw.

Will be interesting to see who gets the initial #5 spot...Buchholz deserves it, but Carlos's roster situation may make him the defacto choice.

17. Buck Turgidson

Hell, scratch that, heard wrong. Dude walked 5 according to Footer.

18. rezdawg

ESPN boxscore says that only 2 Braves walked all game, 1 of them from Wandy.

19. Buck Turgidson

That's what I heard on the radio (I thought), but Footer's writeup had it wrong. Boxscore on astros.com says 1BB as well.

20. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I've never seen anything in Wandy. Yeah, he won some games last year, but W-L can be a very deceiving statistic. Remember, Jeriome Robertson won more games than Wandy as a rookie. And what has he done lately? I predict that Rocket will take his place in the rotation and he'll never be heard from again.