1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros. Sorry to rain on the parade.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by franchise?..NOT, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

All I know is that I'm playing the over each game on our boys from day 1.

I really hope Drayton adds a quality 2 that can eat innings at some point early on.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The gloom and doom is because of Backe, Chacon, Wandy, and Woody. If that doesn't freak you out, did I mention the left side of the defense consists of Ty Wiggington, Carlos Lee, and Miggy Tejada? FEAR!! :)

I'm excited for the season but I don't expect them to be very good. I look forward to watching Bourne, Pence, and Towles play. They could trade the rest of the team for prospects as far as I'm concerned, especially Lee and Berkman's fat contracts.

I don't blame Ed Wade though, he's made the deals he could make. If there's no pitching to deal for then what are you supposed to do?

3. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

As my friend Marlena would say, "Stuuuuuuuuuuppppppppiiiiddddddddddddd!"

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe you, franchise. I think you are perfectly happy to rain on our parade.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If Hunsicker gets credit for all the success over the past 15 years, shouldn't Wade get credit for the Phillies remarkable year last year?

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

[​IMG]

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

I'm amused by how some people believe there's some sort of moral superiority to preventing runs, placing more value on pitching and defense as opposed to offense, and undervaluing players who don't play defense up to their expectations even when their offensive contribution far outweighs their defensive deficiencies. Carlos Lee and Berkman suck, because you'd rather get defense out of your LF and 1B positions than superstar-quality offense? Give me a break.

There were just as many top-5 offenses making the playoffs last season as there were top-5 ERA teams. For every Arizona, there's a Philadelphia. Both are viable ways to win. Of course, you'd prefer to have both, but just because the Stros don't have a great defense doesn't mean they can't compete this season. Chris Sampson and Wandy Rodriguez and Woody Williams and similar names are going to pitch alot of games for us this season, and imo those guys aren't going to win many 3 - 2 pitchers' duels even if you put gold gloves behind them at every position. We're going to have to win out share of behind the formula of superior offense + all-star closer in the games Roy doesn't start. I'll take a W whatever way they can get it, whether that's 1 - 0 or 10 - 9.

Imagine how dangerous this team could be if we could develop or acquire a #2 starter. All the other pieces are in place.

8. juicystream

juicystream Member

First baseman? They are not first baseman aside from Wiggington. Carlos Lee has played only 5 games as a first baseman when he was a rookie, and he would be a poor defensive player anywhere on the diamond, so sticking him in a short left field isn't a bad spot. Tejada has playd SS his entire career, so what makes you think he is a first baseman?

You can't root for J. R. Towles, Paulino, Wright, or Neive?
    I'm sorry if the team isn't worthy of your fandom. We won't miss you. A true fan sticks by his team, and you sir are not a true fan if you don't want to even give these guys a chance before you decide it isn't worth going to a game.

9. leroy

leroy Member

Well, let's go ahead and pack it in for the season then. No reason to watch. Is it football season, yet?

This gloom and doom crap is just freakin annoying. The Astros, over the last 12 years have been a model franchise. They're in transition and trying to do it without bottoming out. Yes, it's unlikely they make the playoffs this season, or next. If you've really been a fan as long as you have, don't you at least remember the years when they really sucked? Did you continue to go to games then? What about after they let Nolan Ryan go? You pick this season as the one that you stop going to games? The pitching is suspect but the offense is going to score a ton of runs...maybe one of the best offenses in franchise history.

Besides, if you can't enjoy Opening Day for the pure joy of it, why do you even buy tickets at all? I've never been to an Opening Day. I'll take your tickets if you don't want them. I'd go if I were a Royals or Pirates or Rays or Orioles fan.

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

Look, I'm really concerned about our pitching. I do believe pitching is more important than hitting. I think we've been through this before, but I can't find the inverse of the 2005 Astros. I'm unaware of a pennant winning team that kicked ass at the plate, but finished towards the bottom of the league in preventing runs scored.

Nevertheless...I love the 'stros. I think Wade did all he could. I'm excited about the season because I'm always excited about the season. Can't wait to get out to the ballpark.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and the guy was talking about the National league Central and said that Ed Wade was by far the worst GM of any of the divisions GMS...

UGH.

DD

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I'm bearish on the Astros this year, but the poster who said Wigginton is a 1st baseman playing out of position isn't accurate.

Wigginton has played 84 games at first base for a total of 592.2 innings.

He's played 445 games at third base for a total of 3588.2 innings.

Heck, he's played more second than first; 120 games for 925.1 innings.

If you want to be critical fine, I am, but at least be factual. An argument that has parts of it's foundation in things that are easily proven false is weak.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

I don't understand the point of this thread. Is it so this poster can tell us he has "thrown in the towel" before a single pitch has even been thrown? I call horse***** when someone posts how great a fan they think they are and then bails on the team before the season even begins. I've been an Astros fan since the 70s when I was a child. I would never dream of giving up on this team...especially before a single game has even been played. A true fan stands by their team no matter what. If this poster is saying he won't pay to see the games in-person...then fine...if you don't like the product...then don't pay for it. However, if poster is saying "I give up" and is bailing now, then good riddance. Wade may be the worst GM or whatever. I don't care. This is a new era in Astros baseball. The old team we were so used to is gone. We are trying to turn the page and move forward. If you don't want to be a part of it, then please let the door hit you on the way out. I'm staying...even if it means we suck ass. If you are one of these people who has to have a good team every year, then the rich Yankees await your arrival.

14. No Worries

No Worries Member

Lee, Tejada, Wiggington are all first basemen playing out of position

And here I thought they were switching hitting catchers.

15. doboyz

doboyz Member

16. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

OP, u r a piece of work.

17. juicystream

juicystream Member

I'd have to call him a utitlity man. He's played LF, RF, 3B, 2B, and 1B. Though his fielding stats do show him being a better 1B & 2B than 3B.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Haha.

He's played less than 1% of his innings at either LF or RF.

70% of his total innings have been played at a 3B.

He's a third baseman.

19. juicystream

juicystream Member

Ty Wigginton's Fielding:

FPCT .947
    RF 2.66
    ZR .710

Those are very poor fielding stats for a 3B. There is a reason he plays all over the field, and it is because he isn't a good defensive player. His fielding numbers look best at 1B. We've just been watching even worse fielding in recent years that makes him look better than he is. Over the last two years he has played at 3B for only 43% of his innings played. 20% of which was here.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Yeah he's not a good defensive player. The last two years he hasn't played there that much because the Devil Rays have been trying to put high impact players at that position.

Most 3rd basemen though would play good defense at 1st. That doesn't mean they aren't real 3rd basemen.