1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros sign Jose Abreu

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 28, 2022.

1. vince

vince Member

I remember that Houston was pulling all the stops to get Abreu 9 years ago. But Abreu eventual picked the White Sox who appeared to be a better team at the time. I was so pumped that Singleton would be the every day first baseman of the future, I was a bit shocked the Astros pursuit of Abreu was so intense. Well with Singleton bombing out, I can see why the Astros were trying to get Abreu back then.

The Astros would eventually end up with Gurriel, and he’s been a stalwart at 1st base. I hope that the Astros can bring him back, because he still has some good swings in his arsenal. But if Gurriel thinks he should still be starting, the Astros need to let him pursue a starting job somewhere.

It’s looking like it’s going to be only Altuve, Bregman, and McCullers from the 2017 team.

Wow, talk about retooling in mid flight!

Xerobull and CrushCity like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Little more than I expected, but oh well. We got ****ing Abreu.

4. BonziWellsGOAT

I really think Nimmo would be a good signing.

Wulaw Horn and red5rocket like this.
  5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Feels a little heavy, but not outrageously so.

prospecthugger and mikol13 like this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Crane said he was willing to spend. Looks like it! Hopefully we sign a someone for CF. Not sure if Leon is ready.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Cant see Yuli playing SS.

No Worries likes this.
  8. BonziWellsGOAT

The one thing that worries me is the power production was down for Abreu and given his age I hope it's not a sign of things to come. Hopefully is an anomaly

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

if true that doesn't leave ~$40M a year for Verlander unless we are going over the luxury tax... Astros moving on? On the flip side, we would still have ~$15M/yr to spend w/o Verlander, and that should be enough for a Benintendi type

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

With 3 guaranteed years, hopefully that was going to come in closer to $15M/$16M/$17M but whatever?

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Happy we signed Abreu over Rizzo. Abreu's approach suits the Astros much more..hits for average, patient, sufficient pop. Meanwhile Rizzo is like all the other Yankees players, high power but lower average. They keep signing/resigning the same type of hitters and it keeps getting them nowhere.

lw17, Jake Tower, BaiHua and 8 others like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

that would mean him playing all over the field. Which he doesn't

Yuli can just take the part time 1B. and spot DH role if he resigns. Nothing wrong with that

lw17 likes this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't discount him from playing 3B, LF, and 2B. It's not like Yuli is slower than Aledmys and his glove plays.

RustyHarden and JeeberD like this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I certainly don't love the 60 million figure, but it's Crane's money and we need the bat.

lw17, BlindHog and vince like this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Abreu actually hits the ball very hard and still does. His lower homerun numbers were more to do with launch angle. He was top 15 in average exit velocity last season ahead of Bryce Harper and top 50 in maximum exit velocity.

He was also 2nd in the league in the number of hits above 95 mph behind Vlad Jr

16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

If it is close to $20MM AAV, it shouldn’t surprise people based on what’s been said about crane’s style versus click. Crane is more decisive and wanted to get his target. Seems like that’s exactly what happened here. I’m fine with this approach when we are talking about a 2-3 year prime window. I like crane acting with conviction rather than waiting till trade deadline uncertainty.

Jake Tower, BaiHua, Stoic Rob and 2 others like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

its not even about being slow. he doesn't play any of those positions nor should he be forced to. that applies to everyone not just yuli. point is Diaz is a utility for a reason. Yuli isn't

lw17 likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Does it? If Crane wants to spend, let him spend.

They are at there peak form. Let them continue to swing big.

vince likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

2023 projections:
    Abreu: .276/.349/.450, wOBA .348
    Altuve: .274/.351/.460, wOBA .352

Imagine adding a hitter of Altuve’s caliber to last seasons lineup.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

who tf cares it isn't the cheap deal some of you are looking for. You spend to stay in contention. Great owners do. The stros are doing it the right way.

You want to sign cheap players and act like they're good enough to be contrubitors, go follow Tilman not the stros