1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Sign Carlos Lee (6 years, 100 Million)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Nov 24, 2006.

1. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Should of gave him 6/75 mil.

100 is too much.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

No way in hell you get him at that price. The baseball contract situation is totally out of whack right now but there's just nothing you can do

3. msn

msn Member

Oh, he's due. His pattern heretofore, unless I remember incorrectly, is basically alternating years of stardom and suckiness (yes--despite the OBP, last year's performance sucked).

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It may be too much but I was more than willing to overpay to get a legit bat in this lineup. they could not go into next season without having made drastic changes. They cannot be cheap and go after a mediocre option like Preston Wilson again. I'm glad they got this deal done, hopefully there are more moves to come (starting pitching still needs to be looked at).

5. white lightning

You can put together a trade for another player, with a better contract, who you could reasonably expect to put up similar numbers. It harder work, and you have to lose some of your own prospects, but it's a way to keep from overpaying.

6. Major

Major Member

Except its a sellers' market there too. You'll save money, but you'll overpay in prospects. So money you might have had by having cheap players in a few years will have to be spent on free agents since you traded away those prospects.

7. msn

msn Member

Precisely. Or, you could make those trades *and* sign the big money guys, gamble on winning it all (and it's worked for some), then go into the tank and absolutely SUCK for 6 or 7 years before getting into position to supernova again.

8. Uprising

Uprising Member

Holy crap! I never realized how HUGE Lee is until I watched the press conference on Astros.com. WOW! :eek:

9. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Uh, if Ensberg has a .800 OBP it will be the most productive offensive season in the history of baseball.

But yeah, if his power doesn't come back I wouldn't mind seeing him at #2.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Is Lee fat? He looks out of shape to me.....or is he just a big guy?

Scott, Lee and Taveras is a mediocre outfield at best.

Scott is an average to below average feilder
    Taveras is an above average fielder
    Lee is ....well....way below average fielder.

But, if they all can hit.....and can field adequatly then problem solved.

DD

11. msn

msn Member

Heh, getting on base 8 out of 10 times. Nice.

But, it would be like the 35-pound 4th grader in little leagues. At all of 2' 6½ inches, dude drew a walk every at bat. Ensberg shouldn't hit like that kid.

12. Nick

Nick Member

All of you saying this... have you actually seen him play the OF and botch a bunch of routine plays, or are you just looking at his body type and automatically assuming he sucks (kinda like Pupurra is fat... therefore he sucks too).

I vividly recall a game last year where Lee not only hits the go-ahead HR against STL... but makes a leaping catch to rob a HR at the wall to preserve the game.

Sure, he's not going to cover a lot of ground in LF... then again, neither did Scott last year, nor Berkman before that. Hell, Berkman has been our everyday CF before... and had limited (albeit better than expected) range.

Nevertheless, Lee won't LOSE games defensively for you... and he's a more athletic player than you may believe (hence his high steal numbers).

Here's a pic of the game I was talking about... as well as a link to the mini-blurb about the catch+HR, as well as a link to the video:
    [​IMG]
    Carlos Lee robs Cards
    Link to video (scroll down to April 13th).

#152 Nick, Nov 28, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  13. Buck Turgidson

Honestly, I don't recall anything about his defense at all. Not good, not bad, nada.

According to John Dewan & the Fielding Bible guys, Lee's defense is a bit above average ("Lee's reputation [as a poor defensive player] isn't deserved.") & he was the best defensive LFer on the FA market this year based on their rankings. Given that their fielding data comes from *watching actual baseball being played* I tend to give it a lot more credence than FRAPPE or whatever blender setting was bandied about earlier.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This is interesting because everything I have read suggests he is not that great of an outfielder.

The LFer in Houston does not have to cover all that much ground as long as Willy is in center field.

But the primary question I asked is still not answered.

Is Lee fat?

DD

15. MadMax

MadMax Member

Who are you calling fat?!!??

[​IMG]

16. Nick

Nick Member

He's fat like Barkley was in his prime... you see the big body, and you see him lumbering, and yet the guy can jump pretty high to rob HR's, and runs fast enough to steal bases.

17. MadMax

MadMax Member

Nick --

thanks for the video link. great play!

frankly, LF in MMP isn't overly difficult to cover.

the defense that concerns me most is Luke Scott's. that guy is an absolute adventure in the field.

18. Nick

Nick Member

Yes, indeed... which is why it wouldn't suprise me if Scott played LF when he was in the lineup (with Lee in RF), whereas Lane plays RF when he is in the lineup. (its funny that Lance Berkman may still be the best corner OF on this team).

Justice's blog said that Lane has lost 15 pounds this off-season, and is pretty damn motivated to rebound after the terrible last season. He also said he would be playing CF in winterball... interesting possibilities if he gets in shape.

19. MadMax

MadMax Member

wow, good news on lane.

yeah, my father told me the other day that he thought we'd be far better off with lee in right and scott in left. scott scares the crap out of me out there. but he's a helluva hitter, so i'm good with it from a corner OF spot.

20. gunn

gunn Member

Dear GOD NOOOOOOO!!!!! I wish the Jason Lane experiment would end.