1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Sign Carlos Lee (6 years, 100 Million)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Nov 24, 2006.

1. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

True, but if Molina starts 3 of 5 games and then, have Ausmus for 2 of 5 and/or late inning defensive adjustments. I just post the bit about Molina because he would give us some offensive punch instead of constantly having 3 easy outs at the bottom third of the lineup.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Member

To the people that say it's too much, i think your looking at it the wrong way. The price he got is based on all the other signings that are happening. Compared to the talent level of some of the players that got big contracts Lee is a much better hitter. We had to pay to play in this case and i am sure it will be worth it in many ways.

Not only do we get a great bat to put in the lineup, just think how much better Berkman is going to be this year (knock on wood) since he might see some pitches.

I like the signing and i hope we have a few more tricks up our sleeve before the off season is over.

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

I'd like to see either of these orders for the lineup:

Ensberg
    Berkman
    Lee
    Scott

or

Ensberg
    Scott
    Berkman
    Lee

Great things are gonna happen then.

4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

[​IMG]

Viva El Caballo!!!

5. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Member

Good job, Purpura.

It looks like he is overpaid a bit.

But considering this crazy FA market, it's the price you have to pay.

6. MadMax

MadMax Member

I want Lee in front of Berkman. Last year, teams would put their lefties in to turn Berkman around. Good luck doing that this year with the heavy hitting rightie, Lee, up next.

7. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Member

This is a good sign for the Astros, they overpaid no doubt, but on multiple levels this helps them. First, it shows that Purpura can actually close on a deal; Second, it changes the perception of the team for other free agents in the future; Third, it really shows that McLane is committed to winning now, and not just putting a competitive team on the field year after year. Finally, I know Roger and Andy have taken notice and will be more likely to come back strong and give it one more shot of ending their careers with a World Series championship in Houston.

8. mateo

mateo Member

Molina looks like he wears mascara. It bugs the crap outta me.

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

Man this is HUGE...i hope its enuf to get Andy and Roger back as well....

Gotta hand it to Drayton...he stepped up big time. Best part is that we got it done early and now have plenty of time to concentrate on trades, andy/roger, etc.

I just might send in my season ticket payment before the Dec 18 deadline!!!!

MMP will be on FIRE this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. solid

solid Member

If they were going to break the bank like this, why not keep Beltran?

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

see pages 1 and 2 (possibly 3) in this thread.

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I agree. Drayton stepped up big time and got such a huge deal done. No complaints from me about this deal!

Nice job by the ownership and Tim Purpura, etc.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I'm not trying to start an argument, but you do realize that that is less per year than they offered Lee, right? But it's time to look forward and lock that little tidbit away in the part of our minds that is only open when you are really drunk and start griping about random things.

14. Nick

Nick Member

But considering the inflation of contracts this year... the Beltran offer was larger.

15. The Real Shady

If we would have offered Beltran 8 years $125 million he still would have gone to New York. Beltran and Boras wanted to go to NY and the Astros were used to get Beltran the largest possible contract in NY.

16. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Wrong side of 30? He's just now hitting his prime. What is it about the number 30 that screams "over the hill"?

"Skill set that traditionally doesn't age well"? Wow, you know nothing about baseball. Lee is a power hitter who has excellent strike zone judgement. He's on the other end of the spectrum what those that don't age well.

How could the money have been used more efficiently? Lee was the best hitter on the market. The lineup desperately needed a big bat, especially right handed protection for Berkman.

17. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

I figured you must be one of *those* people.

Defense up the middle, offense from the corners. Preston Wilson wasn't getting it done, and the club wants to move Berkman to first permanently.

Ausmus will remain here to manage the staff, and Everett will stay because he's the best defensive shortstop of all time.

Signing Lee gives us solid protection for Berkman in the lineup.

DEAL WITH IT

18. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Member

Okay i'll hear you out. show me research that backs up your assertions that 1) players aged 31-35 are in their "prime" years and 2) that that lee's body type/ skill set (how ever you define it) ages wells

19. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Member

that's great except that lee doesn't give up us a significant upgrade on offense from last year. The strengths of the offense from last year are going to be about the same even with lee and the defiencies of the offense are going to be the same. if those things are true then the offense is going to be about the same and we are all going to have to deal with another mediorce season.

and trust me i've forgotten more about baseball then you'll ever know.

20. Major

Major Member

This depends on what happens with Scott, Huff and Ensberg.

If Scott is benched as a result of this (say we start Huff & Ensberg), then we may or may not have improved (replaced Scott with Lee). Scott could very well be a 0.900 OPS type guy, though we need more data. If Scott moves to RF, Huff moves to 3B, and Ensberg is benched, then we've certainly improved from last year (replaced Ensberg with Lee). If Huff is let go, Scott plays RF and Ensberg plays 3B, we've improved a bit, but not immensely (replaced Huff with Lee). If, say, Scott plays CF, then we've improved immensely offensively (and taken a huge step back defensively). It's hard to say at this point what the net result on the offense will be.